Author Topic: NOAM - CHOMSKY - intellectual or philosopher ??  (Read 1813 times)

pillowtalk

• Getbig IV
  • Sent on my BlackBerry® from Vodafone
NOAM - CHOMSKY - intellectual or philosopher ??
« on: May 20, 2009, 06:14:27 AM »
What do the 'Get-owned' crew think of this intellectual, giant ??

20 min documentary on the history of 'Noam Chompsky'
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=676452061991429040&ei=qAAUSvWtPIP3-AbZn6W2Dg&q=noam+chompsky+

Watch the 'DOC' & see what you make of him, that is if you are not already familiar with his work.
Growth/noob loves me

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Re: NOAM - CHOMSKY - intellectual or philosopher ??
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 06:18:05 AM »
What do the 'Get-owned' crew think of this intellectual, giant ??

20 min documentary on the history of 'Noam Chompsky'
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=676452061991429040&ei=qAAUSvWtPIP3-AbZn6W2Dg&q=noam+chompsky+

Watch the 'DOC' & see what you make of him, that is if you are not already familiar with his work.

Noam has some valid points and some I disagree with. Kind of sick of Noam for politically unrelated reasons.
I hate the State.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 06:18:43 AM »
Like him.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 06:20:03 AM »
Noam has some valid points and some I disagree with. Kind of sick of Noam for politically unrelated reasons.
what, he got to much airtime thanks to Bush?  :D

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 06:29:32 AM »
what, he got to much airtime thanks to Bush?  :D

No. He is called the father of linguistics, stuff most people know nothing about. But since I study that stuff I have to deal with and I don't agree with all the premises he has for syntax. Some political stuff I think is a bit screwy as well.
I hate the State.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 06:45:17 AM »
No. He is called the father of linguistics, stuff most people know nothing about. But since I study that stuff I have to deal with and I don't agree with all the premises he has for syntax. Some political stuff I think is a bit screwy as well.
what is your beef politically with him?

pillowtalk

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 06:57:31 AM »

Can you out-line some points for us ??

As your field is linguistics, I will defer to you on the subject.
But that is not to say - that I will agree with you..................... ..
Growth/noob loves me

pillowtalk

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 07:21:37 AM »
No. He is called the father of linguistics,   since I study that stuff I have to deal with and I don't agree with all the premises he has for syntax. Some political stuff I think is a bit screwy as well.

Tell you what, I will start the ball rolling.

Is any-one going to watch a little 'Chompsky' & make a comment on who has been responsible for the vast amount of, terrorist, activates, since the bombing of civilian targets in S.Vietnam (US military).
They did this because they did not want the indigenous, population, giving food/support to the 'VC'

KILL THEM ALL, LET GOD SORT THEM OUT (quote from the Vatican at the commencement of the Albigensian crusade - In 1209 - to wipe out the Cathars)
Only they killed every-one, Cathars & all, why ?? because the Pope said (when asked by 'Simon de Montfort')................

The commander of the crusade, Simon de Montfort, Earl of Leicester, pointed out that not everybody in the city was a heretic, some of them were good Catholics, so how should they treat the inhabitants when they captured the city ?? A monk who was actually present at the siege recorded the answer of the 'Papal Legate' to the Crusaders, Arnaud-Amaury, the Abbot of Citeaux, as "Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet." ("Kill them all. God will know his own." ) So the Crusaders followed his advice & killed everybody they could find in Beziers.

This is what I mean when I say "the Catholic church are Evil fuckers" - History has the 'Vatican' drenched in Blood !! oh, & alms (LOLOLz)

So, terrorism - 'Chompsky' any-one.
Some of you are supposed to have an IQ over 140 !! come on 'GB's' intellegencia........... ........................ .

This is why I have the 'SIG' that I do, those who know that it is Portuguese will know that it translates to "we are all un-believers"
You will understand after the first 8mins of the lecture, as to what I am referring.

'Noam Chompsky' - talking on Theology/ ideology/hypocrisy/Israel/US-foreign policy/terrorism & definitions of all the afore mentioned............

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4054523048548733881&ei=pbcSSvimHYKG-Qay4q2MCQ&q=noam+chompsky+

I recommend the whole lecture 'THB' - but the main points are made fairly quickly !!

'Noam chompsky'

"There was a huge anti-German sentiment in the US after WWI, the philharmonic orchestra could not play 'Beethoven' for example/other examples.
Although ironically, Germany, was seen during the period after WWI as the model to follow, by the administration as far as democracy"

--
PT -- nós somos todos os unbelievers.
Growth/noob loves me

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 07:25:22 AM »
I love Noam.

pillowtalk

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 07:29:01 AM »
I love Noam.

Yeah, but is he - an intellectual or - a philosopher/both ??
Growth/noob loves me

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 07:30:07 AM »
Yeah, but is he - an intellectual or - a philosopher/both ??

I should watch the video.....  lol

But from what I've read of his:  Intellectual

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 07:31:53 AM »
what is your beef politically with him?

He is too utopian. People are motivated by self-interest and he tries to get round that fact. He envisions 'collectivist libertarian' societies and the like which I see as not only unworkable but incompatible with large scale society. Another thing is he is really big on science and biology but ignores many of the premises that one would have to draw from the sciences in his political discourse. Quite good on foreign policy though.
I hate the State.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2009, 07:34:09 AM »
He is too utopian. People are motivated by self-interest and he tries to get round that fact. He envisions 'collectivist libertarian' societies and the like which I see as not only unworkable but incompatible with large scale society. Another thing is he is really big on science and biology but ignores many of the premises that one would have to draw from the sciences in his political discourse. Quite good on foreign policy though.

Nice summation. 

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2009, 07:35:34 AM »
gatekeeper

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2009, 07:45:25 AM »
More with Pinker than Chomsky?

pillowtalk

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2009, 07:50:55 AM »
Another thing is he is really big on science and biology but ignores many of the premises that one would have to draw from the sciences in his political discourse.

Can you give some examples ??

Quite good on foreign policy though.

With all due respect (I, honestly, mean that) do you realise how 'arrogant' that sounds from an un-employed individual ??
Growth/noob loves me

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2009, 08:02:24 AM »
More with Pinker than Chomsky?

On what issue?
I hate the State.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2009, 08:06:49 AM »
gatekeeper
oh dear god... at this point you should probably take a shuttle craft to a distant moon so you're safe from everybody on earth :D

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2009, 08:07:01 AM »
Can you give some examples ??

With all due respect (I, honestly, mean that) do you realise how 'arrogant' that sounds from an un-employed individual ??

I work part time as a full time student and in a few months time will be going back to work full time. What does my employment status have anything to do with this? ??? Work and foreign policy? huh?

I already mentioned the problem. Human nature is one made up of inherent self-interest, in our biology and psyches. The kind of collectivism he advocates defies that nature and is incompatible on a large scale.
I hate the State.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2009, 09:44:18 AM »
I work part time as a full time student and in a few months time will be going back to work full time. What does my employment status have anything to do with this? ??? Work and foreign policy? huh?

I already mentioned the problem. Human nature is one made up of inherent self-interest, in our biology and psyches. The kind of collectivism he advocates defies that nature and is incompatible on a large scale.
We are a social species and have only survived as a result of collective tribalism with group interaction and reciprocation.  If hominids were only operating under self interest by individualism, hominids alike would have been extinct millions of years ago.

You should not put limits on what YOU think comprises human nature.  Instead, take a look at how and why homo sapiens have been able to survive and flourish.  You will NEVER find an instance of individual mass nomadicism for any length of time.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2009, 09:46:27 AM »
We are a social species and have only survived as a result of collective tribalism with group interaction and reciprocation.  If hominids were only operating under self interest by individualism, hominids alike would have been extinct millions of years ago.

You should not put limits on what YOU think comprises human nature.  Instead, take a look at how and why homo sapiens have been able to survive and flourish.  You will NEVER find an instance of individual mass nomadicism for any length of time.

Yes, but society, service and exchange is based on self-interest. Self-interest does not necessarily exclude cohesion or cooperation. I am not dividing them along totally separate lines.
I hate the State.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2009, 09:59:20 AM »
Yes, but society, service and exchange is based on self-interest. Self-interest does not necessarily exclude cohesion or cooperation. I am not dividing them along totally separate lines.
Group Sustainment and Preservation is the goal of society, service and exchange.  I fail to see how this operates or can operate solely on self-interest.  In fact, there is no such thing in our society as Self-Interest as you will always benefit someone else, no matter what action you take since this is how humans have organized themselves.  All hominids and primates have also organized themselves with a basic altruistic or reciprocative structure.

Now for a silly example, but an example nonetheless:

If you use whatever means to make 10 millions dollars lets say, and then spend that 10 million buying cars, houses, jewelry, whatever you deem worthwhile to fulfill your desires, you are not only directly helping those in the industries listed, you are providing them with monetary flow or in this case, the ability to exchange goods and services which trickles into society and revolves around again and again.

Think of it like this.  Spend a dollar today. Then imagine where that dollar is spent again and where that same dollar is spent again and again and so forth and how many people that will end up benefiting.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2009, 10:05:08 AM »
I think Chomsky has some very valid points.

He's been critical of the media for years, and devoted lots of time to describe how the propaganda works.

(Propaganda model)

As empty as paradise

pillowtalk

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2009, 12:23:41 PM »

You sounded (intentionally or not) very flippant "oh, & yeah he is OK at 'FP"
He has been doing this for over 40 years, you are not even 35 yet  !! show some respect.

That is all.

Growth/noob loves me

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2009, 12:54:35 PM »
Why is this Pillow idiot spamming the boards with his Noam Chomsky rubbish? Every thread its the same old bullsh*t anti Jew propaganda and then as if it makes him intelligent he quotes Chomsky or copy and pastes some DIS-information. 

Abandon every hope...