Author Topic: Beauty  (Read 979 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Beauty
« on: May 20, 2009, 11:19:03 AM »
Do you think God has a beauty scale?  There are some people we consider objectively pretty or ugly, and then everyone has their own subjective qualities they find attractive.  Do you think God looks at people as objectively pretty/unattractive too? 

You find references in the Bible to how attractive someone may have been, so maybe God does have a scale. 

Or is everyone just equally beautiful in God's eyes? 

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
Re: Beauty
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 11:37:03 AM »
I don't think he cares

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 12:00:20 PM »
Do you think God has a beauty scale?  There are some people we consider objectively pretty or ugly, and then everyone has their own subjective qualities they find attractive.  Do you think God looks at people as objectively pretty/unattractive too? 

You find references in the Bible to how attractive someone may have been, so maybe God does have a scale. 

Or is everyone just equally beautiful in God's eyes? 

God might be like other people and know that some people just have really "beautiful personalities" 

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 12:43:49 PM »
Good question!  I don't believe that God cares whether or not somebody is physically beautiful, but God seems to notice and acknowledge that some people are more physically beautiful than others.  God also seems to want all of us to develop our inner beauty and not care too much about our outer beauty.

Women:

Genesis 6:2  (New International Version)
the sons of God saw that the daughters of men were beautiful, and they married any of them they chose.

Genesis 12:11
As he was about to enter Egypt, he said to his wife Sarai, "I know what a beautiful woman you are.

Genesis 12:14
When Abram came to Egypt, the Egyptians saw that she was a very beautiful woman.

Genesis 24:16
The girl was very beautiful, a virgin; no man had ever lain with her. She went down to the spring, filled her jar and came up again.

Genesis 29:17
Leah had weak eyes, but Rachel was lovely in form, and beautiful.

Proverbs 31:30
Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.

Proverbs 11:22
Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a beautiful woman who shows no discretion.

Proverbs 31:10
A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies.

1 Peter 3:3-4
Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.

Men:

Genesis 39:6-7
Now Joseph was well-built and handsome, and after a while his master's wife took notice of Joseph and said, "Come to bed with me!"

Isaiah 53:2
He grew up before him like a tender shoot, and like a root out of dry ground. He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him, nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.

1 Timothy 4:8
For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 01:48:40 PM »
Good question!  I don't believe that God cares whether or not somebody is physically beautiful, but God seems to notice and acknowledge that some people are more physically beautiful than others.  God also seems to want all of us to develop our inner beauty and not care too much about our outer beauty.

Women:

Genesis 6:2  (New International Version)
the sons of God saw that the daughters of men were beautiful, and they married any of them they chose.

Genesis 12:11
As he was about to enter Egypt, he said to his wife Sarai, "I know what a beautiful woman you are.

Genesis 12:14
When Abram came to Egypt, the Egyptians saw that she was a very beautiful woman.

Genesis 24:16
The girl was very beautiful, a virgin; no man had ever lain with her. She went down to the spring, filled her jar and came up again.

Genesis 29:17
Leah had weak eyes, but Rachel was lovely in form, and beautiful.

Proverbs 31:30
Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.

Proverbs 11:22
Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a beautiful woman who shows no discretion.

Proverbs 31:10
A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies.

1 Peter 3:3-4
Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.

Men:

Genesis 39:6-7
Now Joseph was well-built and handsome, and after a while his master's wife took notice of Joseph and said, "Come to bed with me!"

Isaiah 53:2
He grew up before him like a tender shoot, and like a root out of dry ground. He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him, nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.

1 Timothy 4:8
For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.

Thanks for posting those loco.  Those were the verses I was thinking about. 

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 01:57:43 PM »
Thanks for posting those loco.  Those were the verses I was thinking about. 

You are welcome!