Author Topic: Ex-Mobster Sees New Life Crumbling after Calzone incident ( My People )  (Read 988 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Ex-Mobster Sees New Life Crumbling (Goomba's Pizza Calzone Incident Ruins Witness Protection)
News-Journal ^ | May 20, 2009 | HEATHER SCOFIELD

Posted on Wednesday, May 20, 2009 7:29:58 PM by nickcarraway

One night, one fight could wind up costing Joseph Milano his business, his home, his life savings and his parents' life savings.

After more than a decade of staying out of trouble, trying to rebuild his life, everything he worked so hard to achieve seems lost, Milano said Tuesday.

Accompanied by his wife, Kristy, Milano was standing in an employee hallway at the Flagler County Courthouse where he had just lost something else: his attorney.

Milano, 41, aka Joey Calco, a former mob hit man turned federal witness, posted $250,000 bail and is facing two charges of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and two charges of possession of a firearm by a convicted felon. The charges stem from a January incident in his Palm Coast restaurant, Goomba's Pizzeria, where deputies say he assaulted two customers who were demanding a refund for a botched calzone order.

On Tuesday, attorney Robert Eddington told a judge he no longer would represent Milano, citing an "irreconcilable conflict" between them. Eddington said in a telephone interview later he would not comment on what those conflicts might be.

"I think he's a good person and it's unfortunate what has happened to him," Eddington said of Milano. "Hopefully he'll be exonerated (of the charges against him)."

Milano, meanwhile, said the attorney dumped him without warning because he wasn't quick enough in coming up with additional fees Eddington had demanded. Milano said he'd already given Eddington $4,000 and was "working on" getting him more when Tuesday's hearing was held.

Despite losing his attorney, Milano said he plans to move forward with his defense and will plead not guilty. He's hoping another attorney he has hired before, John Murray, will take up his cases again. His next court appearance is scheduled for July.

During Tuesday's interview, Milano told a reporter he "reacted harshly" that January night in his restaurant. He called it an unanticipated byproduct of his past life as a hit man for New York's Bonanno crime family and the Sicilian Mafia.

He said the irate customers, later identified as Jack Kilburne and Richard Capie, threatened to blow up his business and hurt his family and teenage employees. Milano said one of the men appeared to reach into his pocket for something while issuing the threats and he reacted in self-defense.

In his "old life" growing up on New York City's crime-ridden Bath Avenue, Milano explained, such a moment often meant a deadly game of "Russian roulette" was under way. He said he reacted by striking Kilburne with a gun he kept under the counter.

But the incident in his restaurant "should never have happened," Milano said. "I should have called the cops."

Milano said he's paying a hefty price now for the choices he made that night. He and Kristy Milano said he has worked hard to live a law-abiding life in Florida the past three years, but now they live in fear while watching their last dimes disappear.

While the calzone incident led to the discovery of his former life as Joey Calco, it also exposed the identities and locations of family members to people who want him dead, Milano said.

"We never know when a gun could be pulled on us," Kristy Milano said.

For his part, Milano said he always knew he might one day have to face his past. But he said it's unfair his parents and his wife and stepchildren should have to suffer.

After testifying in federal court as Calco, Milano said he moved to Florida to be closer to his family against the recommendations of federal Witness Security Program officials. Milano said in starting his new life, he opted out of the WitSec program and didn't receive any financial help from taxpayers.

Instead, he and his family pooled their money to start his pizza business.

Now, they've lost "every penny" of their investment because media sensationalism has driven customers away, he said. He said he plans to close the place soon.

The family would love to move, or at least get out of harm's way, Milano said, but between the floundering business and mounting legal bills, they don't have the money.

"I'm just stuck," he said.

________________________ ________________________ ________

For obvious reasons, I just keep shaking my head at some of my heritage gone wrong. 

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244

For obvious reasons, I just keep shaking my head at some of my heritage gone wrong. 

When you say "my heritage", ...are you refering to the fact that he is Italian, the fact that he had mafia ties,
or the fact that he grew up rough in NYC? Do you react the same way when you see others made foolish choices?

Did you react the same way when you saw OJ Simpson give up his freedom in his pursuit of an inanimate trophy?

What about when Palin gave her Katie Couric interview?  How do you choose to identify with your fellow human being?
w

Hereford

• Getbig V
333386, Are you in the mafia?  :o

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox

There is no mafia.    >:(

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Ex-Mobster Sees New Life Crumbling (Goomba's Pizza Calzone Incident Ruins Witness Protection)
News-Journal ^ | May 20, 2009 | HEATHER SCOFIELD

Posted on Wednesday, May 20, 2009 7:29:58 PM by nickcarraway

One night, one fight could wind up costing Joseph Milano his business, his home, his life savings and his parents' life savings.

After more than a decade of staying out of trouble, trying to rebuild his life, everything he worked so hard to achieve seems lost, Milano said Tuesday.

Accompanied by his wife, Kristy, Milano was standing in an employee hallway at the Flagler County Courthouse where he had just lost something else: his attorney.

Milano, 41, aka Joey Calco, a former mob hit man turned federal witness, posted $250,000 bail and is facing two charges of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and two charges of possession of a firearm by a convicted felon. The charges stem from a January incident in his Palm Coast restaurant, Goomba's Pizzeria, where deputies say he assaulted two customers who were demanding a refund for a botched calzone order.

On Tuesday, attorney Robert Eddington told a judge he no longer would represent Milano, citing an "irreconcilable conflict" between them. Eddington said in a telephone interview later he would not comment on what those conflicts might be.

"I think he's a good person and it's unfortunate what has happened to him," Eddington said of Milano. "Hopefully he'll be exonerated (of the charges against him)."

Milano, meanwhile, said the attorney dumped him without warning because he wasn't quick enough in coming up with additional fees Eddington had demanded. Milano said he'd already given Eddington $4,000 and was "working on" getting him more when Tuesday's hearing was held.

Despite losing his attorney, Milano said he plans to move forward with his defense and will plead not guilty. He's hoping another attorney he has hired before, John Murray, will take up his cases again. His next court appearance is scheduled for July.

During Tuesday's interview, Milano told a reporter he "reacted harshly" that January night in his restaurant. He called it an unanticipated byproduct of his past life as a hit man for New York's Bonanno crime family and the Sicilian Mafia.

He said the irate customers, later identified as Jack Kilburne and Richard Capie, threatened to blow up his business and hurt his family and teenage employees. Milano said one of the men appeared to reach into his pocket for something while issuing the threats and he reacted in self-defense.

In his "old life" growing up on New York City's crime-ridden Bath Avenue, Milano explained, such a moment often meant a deadly game of "Russian roulette" was under way. He said he reacted by striking Kilburne with a gun he kept under the counter.

But the incident in his restaurant "should never have happened," Milano said. "I should have called the cops."

Milano said he's paying a hefty price now for the choices he made that night. He and Kristy Milano said he has worked hard to live a law-abiding life in Florida the past three years, but now they live in fear while watching their last dimes disappear.

While the calzone incident led to the discovery of his former life as Joey Calco, it also exposed the identities and locations of family members to people who want him dead, Milano said.

"We never know when a gun could be pulled on us," Kristy Milano said.

For his part, Milano said he always knew he might one day have to face his past. But he said it's unfair his parents and his wife and stepchildren should have to suffer.

After testifying in federal court as Calco, Milano said he moved to Florida to be closer to his family against the recommendations of federal Witness Security Program officials. Milano said in starting his new life, he opted out of the WitSec program and didn't receive any financial help from taxpayers.

Instead, he and his family pooled their money to start his pizza business.

Now, they've lost "every penny" of their investment because media sensationalism has driven customers away, he said. He said he plans to close the place soon.

The family would love to move, or at least get out of harm's way, Milano said, but between the floundering business and mounting legal bills, they don't have the money.

"I'm just stuck," he said.

________________________ ________________________ ________

Your heritage is irrelevant.
I hate the State.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
When you say "my heritage", ...are you refering to the fact that he is Italian, the fact that he had mafia ties,
or the fact that he grew up rough in NYC? Do you react the same way when you see others made foolish choices?

Did you react the same way when you saw OJ Simpson give up his freedom in his pursuit of an inanimate trophy?

What about when Palin gave her Katie Couric interview?  How do you choose to identify with your fellow human being?

Let's see, I come from the same hood as this guy, same background, grew up amongst these criminals, and have had to tell too many people I have no involvement in mob activities. 

Its hard to explain, but when its close to you its take more significance.   

You are black right???  Its sort of when Obama fails you might take it a little harder because he is black too.  You can let me know how that feels in a few months.       

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

No, but I grew with, know, and have to deal with some of these people all too often. 

Donnie Brasco and Sopranos season One 1 & 2 is as close as you are going to get what thse people are like.   

Mr. Magoo

• Getbig V
  • THE most mistaken identity on getbig
No, but I grew with, know, and have to deal with some of these people all too often. 

Donnie Brasco and Sopranos season One 1 & 2 is as close as you are going to get what thse people are like.   

No way. I'm a bit of a mafia buff (well use to be several years ago)...and you're way off base. The sopranos is nothing like the mob. Dominick Montiglio (excuse the spelling, like I said it's been a while) laughed when they asked him if the Sopranos were realistic. They would have shot tony the first time the rumor got out that he was seeing a shrink. And after the first episode, the writers of the show got a call correcting their huge error...."The Don doesn't wear shorts". They eventually worked that line into the show if i remember correctly. Jerry Capeci wrote about this. Donnie Brasco was just a sucky movie altogether. Joe Pistone was never going to be inducted into the family, that was the FBI trying to make their investigation sound worthwhile. And don't you find it a bit suspcious that none of Pistone's tapes (remember the tape recorder in the boot) worked. That was because Pistone was involved in a lot more crimes than the FBI wanted to admit. The only thing realistic about Donnie Brasco was when Al Pacino was telling the difference between the military and the mob. Michael Madsen sucked playing a capo.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Sopranoes season 1 & 2 was very good and is very close.  The rest was a joke. 

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Let's see, I come from the same hood as this guy, same background, grew up amongst these criminals, and have had to tell too many people I have no involvement in mob activities. 

Its hard to explain, but when its close to you its take more significance.   

You are black right???  Its sort of when Obama fails you might take it a little harder because he is black too.  You can let me know how that feels in a few months.       

Actually, I don't view things in such a manner. If Obama experiences set backs, or stumbles,
I of course will be disappointed, but I won't take it harder because he's Black. That's ridiculous.

As for my original question posed to you, I was trying to determine what criteria you were using to make the determination that you and he shared a similar 'heritage'.
w

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Actually, I don't view things in such a manner. If Obama experiences set backs, or stumbles,
I of course will be disappointed, but I won't take it harder because he's Black. That's ridiculous.

As for my original question posed to you, I was trying to determine what criteria you were using to make the determination that you and he shared a similar 'heritage'.

My relatives come from Italy like this fool's did.  I grew up in the same area.  I dont know how canada is by NYC is very seperated as far as hoods go.  The Italo-American hoods, while not as defined as years ago, are still very distinct. 

You dont see a black face in some of these areas in NYC.  No kidding. 

Mr. Magoo

• Getbig V
  • THE most mistaken identity on getbig
My relatives come from Italy like this fool's did.  I grew up in the same area.  I dont know how canada is by NYC is very seperated as far as hoods go.  The Italo-American hoods, while not as defined as years ago, are still very distinct. 

You dont see a black face in some of these areas in NYC.  No kidding. 

Which neighborhood are you in?

Like those 5 italian kids a couple of years ago that beated the black guy with baseball bats because he came into the neighborhood to rob. They were convicted of hate crimes.

I use to be so much into the whole mob thing, but now I can't think of the neighborhood this happened in. Somewhere in Queens...same neighborhood Joe Massino and John Gotti lived in....thinking of this is going to drive me crazy.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Which neighborhood are you in?

Like those 5 italian kids a couple of years ago that beated the black guy with baseball bats because he came into the neighborhood to rob. They were convicted of hate crimes.

I use to be so much into the whole mob thing, but now I can't think of the neighborhood this happened in. Somewhere in Queens...same neighborhood Joe Massino and John Gotti lived in....thinking of this is going to drive me crazy.

The hood was called Bensonhurst and it happened in Howard Beach. 

I myself grew up in Morris Park section of the Bronx and Yonkers, N.Y.