Author Topic: Dana White on The Dan Patrick Show  (Read 634 times)

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
Dana White on The Dan Patrick Show
« on: May 21, 2009, 08:24:00 AM »
Dana White joined "The Hair," Dan Patrick, on Patrick's daily radio show just a few minutes ago. Here are some quick notes; listen to the full segment here.

- Dan's first question: "Got a tight t-shirt on right now?" (Answer: yes, a Polo.)

- Dana says he doesn't know if you have to be a "personality" to do what he does. He's a promoter who goes out and tells people why they should be interested in what the UFC does.

- thinks MMA, boxing and professional wrestling can peacefully coexist. "Boxing has a lot of problems, and believe me, I'm not one of them."

- says he is happy with where MMA is at in terms of being mainstream, with business growing each year. He thinks Undisputed 2009 will be a huge tool in "taking us to that next level."

- Dana considers MMA a major sport on par with the NFL, NBA, MLB, not "some fringe, punk-type sport."

- "We're sanctioned in every single state right now, except New York." What? When did that happen?

- the last time Dana saw a fight that he thought was "too violent" in the UFC was Pete Sell vs. Matt Brown. "The first time ever in 9 years of the Ultimate Fighting Championship that I was slapping my hand on the octagon... saying it should be stopped." DP's rebuttal: "So you were tapping out?"

- Dana says DP wouldn't last 12 seconds with Chuck Liddell, but "anybody could beat Tito [Ortiz]."

- When asked what Kimbo Slice did to the sport, Dana was surprisingly un-abrasive, but repeated that "the only way that guy would fight on the UFC is if he got through the The Ultimate Fighter."

- Dana sees MMA as being a collegiate sport first, and an Olympic sport someday.

- If a big network wanted to sign the UFC but said "tone it down," Dana says he wouldn't be interested. "It's already regulated... there's never been a death in the almost 20 year history of the UFC."

The headline on the Dan Patrick Show's site reads: Dana White says we'll see ultimate fighting in Olympics. Sigh.