Author Topic: On Memorial Day  (Read 3452 times)

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
On Memorial Day
« on: May 22, 2009, 07:49:23 AM »
L

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
Re: On Memorial Day
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 07:50:37 AM »
More.....
L

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 07:51:11 AM »
more....
L

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 08:59:41 AM »
I greatly appreciate my freedom and those who have fought to preserve it.

Thank you also to all active soldiers and Veterans.  God bless!

R

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 03:41:24 PM »
S

muscleforlife

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 06:23:38 PM »
I usually go to a small town parade in my area.
Seeing the vets of wars....
ww2 and onwards.

I am very appreciative of their sacrafices and show my support for defending my life and libery as an american citizen.

Sandra

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 11:04:25 AM »
Nice thread.  Thanks HH.   :)

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 01:17:35 PM »

This is one of the best speeches in any war movie.....
L

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 10:46:58 PM »
Went to Pearl Harbor and the Arizona Memorial today.  Got to thank a Pearl Harbor survivor for his service. 

Thank you all you service members and veterans for your service. 

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 12:02:58 AM »
Thank you.....to all our men and women in the military. Past and present. Your sacrifices, are appreciated....EVERYDAY!
HAHA, RON.....

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2011, 05:17:27 PM »
Premature bump.  :)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2011, 10:28:41 PM »
Premature bump.  :)
not at all sir, we should bump this thread everyday...

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2011, 10:33:17 PM »

quadzilla456

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2011, 02:12:33 AM »
HH6 - Did Henry Kissinger say to Washington Post reporters Woodward and
Bernstein..

"Military men are dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns for foreign
policy"?

If so how does that make you feel?

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2011, 06:51:39 AM »
I hate the State.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2011, 07:32:14 AM »
Yes, thank you vets for your service and all you've done.

Some who I know are vets:

hugo
hh6
garebear
the showstoppa
Wiggs
Jason Pegg
Agnostic007
Howard
buc1994

Again, thanks for everything.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2011, 09:46:08 AM »
2009...goddam. Good job digging this one out.
L

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2011, 10:46:53 AM »
2009...goddam. Good job digging this one out.

:)  When is your BZ look? 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2011, 09:58:23 AM »
A lei for each grave
Hundreds of Scouts put flower garlands on Punchbowl graves
By Michael Tsai
POSTED: 01:30 a.m. HST, May 30, 2011

Brady Kaya, 7, of Cub Scout Pack 488 in Newtown placed ti leaf lei on grave markers Sunday at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific at Punchbowl. Hundreds of Scouts participated in the annual "A Good Turn" event to decorate every grave for today's Memorial Day services.

Thanks to a last-minute outpouring of public support, American heroes interred at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific at Punchbowl each have a commemorative lei to mark their service this Memorial Day.

Some 50,000 lei were needed to ensure that each fallen service member is individually honored today. On Saturday, city officials issued a call for volunteers to help make up a 15,000-lei deficit.

"It's important that we decorate each grave and remember our veterans," said cemetery director Gene Castagnetti, a retired Marine. "The way we as a nation honor our war dead speaks volumes about us as a society."

"We now have enough lei for every grave site," said Susan Fishbein, a spokeswoman for the regional Veterans Affairs office that includes Hawaii. "We really thank the community for coming through for our veterans. This was a great community effort."

Only once have some graves lacked flowers for Memorial Day since the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs took over Punchbowl in September 1973, Fishbein said.

Castagnetti said that last year there were so many lei that Punchbowl ended up giving 6,000 of the flower garlands to the Hawaii State Veterans Cemetery in Kaneohe for Memorial Day.

Punchbowl officials had been asking for fresh flower or ti leaf lei of 20 to 24 inches long to be donated by noon Sunday. Had the minimum count not been met, they were prepared to accept lei of any type or length even after today's ceremonies.

Like hundreds of other Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts who fanned out across Punchbowl on Sunday, nine Scouts from Moanalua Cub Scout Pack 9 placed miniature U.S. flags at the headstones in Section Q, followed by 20 older scouts from Moanalua's Troop 9, carrying flower lei.

Travis Kon, 9, had performed the ritual before of placing a lei, then standing and saluting in a sign of respect.

When his arms were finally empty of lei on Sunday, Travis said it would be unfair for only some graves to have flowers.

"We need to show respect for the people who fight in war," he said.

Cub Scout Dylan Cox, 7, presented 30 lei at Punchbowl for the first time on Sunday.

And when he was done, Dylan said he understood the need to honor each grave marker with a lei.

"They died trying to protect our country," he said.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/20110530__Volunteers_string_lei_for_fallen_heroes.html

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2011, 12:41:12 PM »
Yes, thank you vets for your service and all you've done.

Some who I know are vets:

hugo
hh6
garebear
the showstoppa
Wiggs
Jason Pegg
Agnostic007
Howard
buc1994

Again, thanks for everything.

A few more getbigger on the poli board are vets as well.  Even if we fight and dislike each other on a daily basis - thank you for your service to our country :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2011, 05:26:15 PM »
Veterans pay homage at Punchbowl observance
By Gregg K. Kakesako
POSTED: 11:56 a.m. HST, May 30, 2011

Photo by Craig T. Kojima/ckojima@staradvdertiser.com
Maj. Kareem Montague watches the annual Mayor's Memorial Day Service at the National Cemetery of the Pacific while holding his daughter Sarah.

They came from the battlefields of Europe and from the deserts of Iraq and Afghanistan to collectively express their deepest appreciation for those have served and continue to serve in the U.S Armed Forces.

At the 62nd annual Mayor’s Memorial Day ceremony this morning, Hawaii Army National Guard Lt. Col. Rusty Spray said it took two combat tours in Iraq and Kuwait with the 29th Brigade Combat Team for him to understand the significance of today’s service at Punchbowl.

“I can’t describe it,” said Spray, who served in Iraq in 2005 and Kuwait two years later driving supply convoys into Iraq.

“Now it means everything.”

Spray was among representatives of more than 60 military and veterans organizations who laid floral wreaths at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific’s declaratory stone during a one-hour memorial service.

Also laying a floral tribute was University of Hawaii and McKinley High School graduate Tammy Duckworth, an Iraq war helicopter pilot, who represented the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs as an assistant secretary.

In his first Memorial Dy address, Mayor Peter Carlisle also paid tribute to the veterans who have served in Iraq and Afghanistan.

He asked the audience of several hundred for a moment of silence for those who continue to serve today — “especially those who face danger far from their homes and loved ones.”

Under a bright, blue sky Carlisle paid tribute to the more than 51,000 veterans who are buried or interred at Punchbowl. Their gravestones were marked with leis and small American flags.

“We remember each of them,” Carlisle said. “And we remember all those resting on foreign shores and at the bottom the seas.

“We remember those who perished in combat and those who were starved in captivity; Those who remain missing in action; Those who came home to become great leaders; and those who were never quite whole again.

“We owe a place in our hearts and minds to those who have served our nation.

“Let us continue to hope for a more peaceful future, and let us strive to attain that goal, as elusive as it may seem. We owe no less to those who we honor here today.”

World War II nisei veteran Eddie Yamasaki, 87, said occasions like today and the annual September memorial service for members of the 100th Battalion, 442nd Regimental Combat Team, Military Intelligence Service and the 1099th Engineers “brings back memories of all the guys, especially those who never came back.”

Yamasaki, a Harvard-educated business executive, served with the 442nd’s I Company in World War II, said the occasions are bitter sweet remembrances.

“It’s said. It’s also good, not only for myself personally, but to see so many people gathered here remembering every war, every theater, including Iraq and Afghanistan.”

Korean War veterans Herb Schnreiner and Richard Poe presented the wreath for the Korean War Veterans Association, Hawaii Chapter 1.

“It means a lot to me,” said Schreiner, 81, who lost a brother in Korea. “It’s our duty to honor the fallen.”

Poe, 80, said his participation is to pay tribute to his father, who died in World War II, and three brothers-in-law who served in Korea.

The Punchbowl service ended with airmen from Hickam’s honor guard firing a 21-rifle salute and the playing of “Taps” by Seaman Ann Franek of the Pacific Fleet Band.

The missing-man fly over was performed by the two F-15 fighter jets from the Montana Air National Guard, which has taken over the aerial defense of islands while the Hawaii Air National Guard’s 199th Fighter Squadron is being trained on F-22 Raptor combat jets.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/breaking/122837969.html

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2011, 06:43:42 PM »