Author Topic: Military chiefs back Obama's effort to close Gitmo  (Read 1435 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Military chiefs back Obama's effort to close Gitmo
« on: May 24, 2009, 09:08:44 PM »
President Barack Obama gained support for closing Guantanamo from a current and a former military leader Sunday despite opposition in Congress to moving “war on terror” suspects to the United States.

Colin Powell, the former secretary of state and chairman of the joint chiefs of staff in Republican administrations, and Admiral Michael Mullen, the current head of the joint chiefs, said on separate television shows that the “war on terror” prison should be closed.

“I felt Guantanamo should be closed for the past six years, and I lobbied and presented reasons to President (George W.) Bush,” Powell said in an interview with CBS television.

With former vice president Dick Cheney leading the charge, Republicans have attacked Obama for promising to close the prison camp by January without a plan for dealing with the estimated 240 terror suspects held there.

Democratic lawmakers also have opposed transferring potentially dangerous prisoners to US prisons, forcing Obama to defend his “war on terror” policies in a major speech this week.

In an interview with ABC television, Mullen said he had long been an advocate for closing the prison because it “has been a recruiting symbol for those extremists and jihadists who would fight us.”

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Re: Military chiefs back Obama's effort to close Gitmo
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 09:56:21 PM »
I wonder how they feel about obama allowing the showing of the caskets of our fallen soldiers returning home?

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 09:57:45 PM »
I wonder how they feel about obama allowing the showing of the caskets of our fallen soldiers returning home?
perhaps you could start a thread on it and ask that.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 10:01:07 PM »

he'd rather attempt to redirect this thread (in which the head of the joint chiefs backs Obama on Gitmo) by second-guessing the desires of the soldiers' families.

Classic technique for avoiding the issue that the military backs Obama on Gitmo, not the neocons.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 10:03:23 PM »
I have like most things the more interesting shit gets drowned out by shit like miss cali or sarah palin...

he'd rather attempt to redirect this thread (in which the head of the joint chiefs backs Obama on Gitmo) by second-guessing the desires of the soldiers' families.

Classic technique for avoiding the issue that the military backs Obama on Gitmo, not the neocons.
No redirection, LOL gitmo is thought to be used as a recruiting tool so obama wants it closed yet he oks the pictures of soldiers caskets returning home which will undoubtedly be politicized here at home and used as recruiting tools abroad...seems pretty hypocritical doesnt it.

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 11:49:55 PM »
In an interview with ABC television, Mullen said he had long been an advocate for closing the prison because it “has been a recruiting symbol for those extremists and jihadists who would fight us.”

What was the recruiting symbol for those extremists and jihadists that would fight us pre-9/11?

When they attacked the USS Cole was it MTV or Elmo? What about the embassies that were attacked or the first attack on the WTC? Perhaps it was the Rubik's Cube and the their inability to solve it. Would that drive them to fits of rage and make them declare a fatwa?

If we close Club Gitmo what will the new symbol of recruitment be?

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 01:39:39 AM »
I have like most things the more interesting shit gets drowned out by shit like miss cali or sarah palin...
No redirection, LOL gitmo is thought to be used as a recruiting tool so obama wants it closed yet he oks the pictures of soldiers caskets returning home which will undoubtedly be politicized here at home and used as recruiting tools abroad...seems pretty hypocritical doesnt it.
It was a bit of a redirect.  At a minimun you could have addressed 240's post and then added additional comment.  I always try to do this myself.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 08:54:56 AM »
I'd Admiral Richard Mullen...and I oppose closing Gitmo...Really Dick, U really want to keep it open. Yes Barry u shitbag appeasing liberal douchbag....well Dick I'm gonna have to fire u...Oh Barry, ur right of course, close Gitmo now.

What exactly is he supposed to say. 
L

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 09:02:37 AM »
I'd Admiral Richard Mullen...and I oppose closing Gitmo...Really Dick, U really want to keep it open. Yes Barry u shitbag appeasing liberal douchbag....well Dick I'm gonna have to fire u...Oh Barry, ur right of course, close Gitmo now.

What exactly is he supposed to say. 

was patraeus also just doing what the boss told him?

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 09:12:03 AM »
Yeah..thats how it works. U do it or resign at that level. Barry can't afford to loose P4. The man is a well respected military leader. Thats why Stan the Man is running Afghanistan now.
L

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 09:25:11 AM »
What was the recruiting symbol for those extremists and jihadists that would fight us pre-9/11?

When they attacked the USS Cole was it MTV or Elmo? What about the embassies that were attacked or the first attack on the WTC? Perhaps it was the Rubik's Cube and the their inability to solve it. Would that drive them to fits of rage and make them declare a fatwa?

If we close Club Gitmo what will the new symbol of recruitment be?
im sure the pics of our fallen soldiers returning home which obama has no problem showing will find a place in there somewhere, but 240 and barry are all for that but gitmo must be closed and the pics of mistreated prisoners cannot be released...just the documents  ::) fuking please this dude is a walking oxymoron and since 240 is the official obama butt plug he has no choice but to fall in line.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 09:27:40 AM »
Im don't know how 240 does it...Barry backs one position one day, another position another day and then tries to back both position the 3rd day. He never has a plan for anything, unless Mr Telepromter says so.
L