Author Topic: When doing a fullbody routine 3x a week, is it enough to just do deadlifts for  (Read 2094 times)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
I hate the State.

The Apprentice

• Getbig II
i do olympic lifting 3 times a week so it is kind of a full body routine.  i deadlift ever third week or so and do stiff legged goodmornings maybe every other month, lol.  i do squat ass to grass though so that keeps my hams in good shape.

if i were you, i would make sure to do full squats.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
Squats & deads, yes imo.  Start worrying about isolation on a full body routine and you're in for a 3 hour workout.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
mon-wed-fri

1.squats(or  variation)
2.deads(or variation)
3.Bench(or variation)
4.upright row(or variation)
5.hamstring curl
6.bicep
7.tricep
8.superset abs/calves

i think it will probably take at least 2 hours so you better eat a big meal an hour or two before with plenty of carbs and bring a gatorade or something similar into the gym and start drinking it an hour or so into the workout.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Squats & deads, yes imo.  Start worrying about isolation on a full body routine and you're in for a 3 hour workout.

Thus spoke the Lord of Perth... 8)
I hate the State.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
Thus spoke the Lord of Perth... 8)

The Lord don't know jack but that's mho!

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
hamstrings?

Try it. It could be for some for sure.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
I wouldnt do deadlifts at all if you are doign a full body routine. 

Make squats the focus of your workouts. 

Squats
Bench
Row
Press
Barbell Curls
Tricep Pushdowns
Calf Raises

This doesnt take more than an hour if done correctly.  2 heavy sets per exercise. 

Deep squats hit the hamstrings already.  If you are going to do deadlifts for hamstrings though, then only go down halfway.  Going all the way down hits your lowerback and not as much your hamstrings. 

Nothing to do squats with at my gym, instead doing Bulgarian Split Squats...

So...

Shoulder Dumbbell press x2
Pullups x2
Bench x2
Seated Curls x2
Dips x2
Deadlifts x2
Bulgarian Split Squats x2
Crunches/Leg Lifts x2
Calf Raises x2

It's been working out pretty well so far.
I hate the State.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Couple of things Deicide:

-Find a way to SQUAT - probably the best thing you could do for your workouts

some other tips...

-Chest should always be done before doing any back exercises.  Your lats help in bench pressing.
-Legs should generally be done first in your workouts when you are the most fresh
-Calves usually have priority over abs
-The deadlifts could be cut out in my opinion - people claim they are a back exercise, but i find they mostly hit lower back and hamstrings, which if you squat, you dont want your lower back sore, and it hits your hamstrings anyways when you squat.

In general, exercises "flow" from largest bodyparts to the smaller ones

Legs, chest, back, then arms, calves, etc.  (back is bigger htan chest, but see comment above about that)

I know you are supposed to do legs first but my legs are much better than my upper body so I prioritise my upper body and work harder at it than legs. Just an issue of priorities. There isn't really a way to squat; I theory I could try to do them off the bench but that is too dangerous. I really find bulgarian split squats very good, I have never done them before so I will be doing them for the next few weeks.
I hate the State.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
I will get laughed off the board for saying this but I'm liking the poor man's hack squat these days where you lean your back against a fitness ball on the wall.

That's neither here nor there for you I guess tho.  I just felt like confessing.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
I can never recover that fast from a workout with that many compounds in one day, then repeated 48 hours later.  If I train to failure on two deep sets of squats or incline DB press, no way is that muscle recovered 2 days later.  However, i am old.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
I will get laughed off the board for saying this but I'm liking the poor man's hack squat these days where you lean your back against a fitness ball on the wall.

That's neither here nor there for you I guess tho.  I just felt like confessing.

Well, the evil carseat (leg press) almost killed me so I decided to do some totally new. With some dumbbells and your bodyweight, you are pushing yourself up on one leg. I really like them. Pretty tough as well.
I hate the State.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
I can never recover that fast from a workout with that many compounds in one day, then repeated 48 hours later.  If I train to failure on two deep sets of squats or incline DB press, no way is that muscle recovered 2 days later.  However, i am old.

Rob, I am the same age as you.;)

It's HST so I never train to failure on it. No point because HST is all about frequency not failure. so M, W, F, Weekend=rest, etc...

If I trained to failure it WOULD be a problem for sure but in my experience training to failure is useful only sometimes at best and not the way forward, but that is just me.
I hate the State.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
Rob, I am the same age as you.;)

It's HST so I never train to failure on it. No point because HST is all about frequency not failure. so M, W, F, Weekend=rest, etc...

If I trained to failure it WOULD be a problem for sure but in my experience training to failure is useful only sometimes at best and not the way forward, but that is just me.

Fo sho.  I squatted to failure once. 

Once.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Fo sho.  I squatted to failure once. 

Once.

I mean especially with HST.
I hate the State.

Boost

• Getbig V
I'm not sure your body type is suited to compound movements.

You appear to have the type of body that is very succeptable to muscle tears.

It's highly likely you will tear your chest and a bicep following this routine.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
I'm not sure your body type is suited to compound movements.

You appear to have the type of body that is very succeptable to muscle tears.

It's highly likely you will tear your chest and a bicep following this routine.

I think you draw too many conclusions from a few pictures. No offence

In my experience, HST has been the BEST training routine I have ever used and I have used it a few times.
I hate the State.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino

I agree with you on this.   If it's really full body 3x a week, I think squats and deadlifts heavy should only be on one of the days.

In mine, it might be front or back squats monday, sled work/plyometric on Wed, and bulgarian split squats on Friday.
Y

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
I agree with you on this.   If it's really full body 3x a week, I think squats and deadlifts heavy should only be on one of the days.

That is why=no failure.
I hate the State.

Boost

• Getbig V
I'd recommend starting this routine as soon as possible and avoid overthinking things

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
I'd recommend starting this routine as soon as possible and avoid overthinking things

I have. I will be going into my 4th week of 8 weeks.

2 weeks 15 reps, 2 weeks 12 reps, 2 weeks 9 reps and 2 weeks 6 reps.
I hate the State.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
If you absolutely cant squat, then I would be leg pressing. 

the bulgarian split squats dont look like you can use a lot of heavy weight on them, and it seems that lunges would be better for using more weight and keeping balance

Leg press though, if you have a leg press machine, why not use it?  You can go heavy, and it is the next best thing to squatting. 

See my injury thread on the positive board for why I don't use the evil car seat.
I hate the State.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
i dont venture around the other boards very often, and am far too lazy to look it up.  what did you injure...and how?

The leg press is like a car seat in shape and design. So, no 45 degree angle and in order to go deep, you have to start scrunched up like in a box and when you go a little heavy you run the risk of injuring your back. That's what happened to me. I was all squished up and my back kind of snapped. I am done with that thing. I am doing well with the bulgarian split squats and with some dumbbells on the side, the weight is fine, after all you are hoisting it all up along with your body weight. I think it is fine. That car seat is a public safety hazard.
I hate the State.

elite_lifter

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
any current pics?  diet progress?  progress pics?
MD is awaiting your arrival. Bye!
I am a big baby

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
MD is awaiting your arrival. Bye!

You're an arsehole. Did you know that?
I hate the State.