Author Topic: California Supreme Court votes 6-1 to uphold gay marriage ban  (Read 17348 times)

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
Re: California Supreme Court votes 6-1 to uphold gay marriage ban
« Reply #225 on: May 28, 2009, 07:12:10 PM »
Exactly, and I'll go out on a limb and say that they took the head of homosexuals off with a sword back in the day.

Actually, homosexuality was pretty prevalent in more than one ancient society.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #226 on: May 28, 2009, 07:14:54 PM »
Actually, homosexuality was pretty prevalent in more than one ancient society.

Prevalent, YES (and often punishable by DEATH); the pairing of two such participants being called marriage, NO!!

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #227 on: May 28, 2009, 08:01:51 PM »
Marriage by the way was invented by the Judeo/Christian faith.

::)  You are a living argument against free speech.

What this guy is really saying is that Judeo Christian marriage was invented by the Judeo Christian faith.  Well no shit Sherlock.  This is the sort of red hot reasoning you get when you 'define' your conclusion as your premise.  Similarly, 'A heterosexual marriage is a union between a man and a woman.'  Again, no shit.

Instead of 'reasoning' to a presupposed conclusion, consider the problem this way:  Are all citizens of the US guaranteed equality under law?  Is the prohibition of secular homosexual marriage incompatible with your patriotism?  Be honest.

Obviously, I'm talking about secular marriage only.  If you want a church wedding, you have to play by church rules.  The US government cannot dictate religious doctrine.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #228 on: May 29, 2009, 08:35:34 AM »
::)  You are a living argument against free speech.

What this guy is really saying is that Judeo Christian marriage was invented by the Judeo Christian faith.  Well no shit Sherlock.  This is the sort of red hot reasoning you get when you 'define' your conclusion as your premise.  Similarly, 'A heterosexual marriage is a union between a man and a woman.'  Again, no shit.

Instead of 'reasoning' to a presupposed conclusion, consider the problem this way:  Are all citizens of the US guaranteed equality under law?  Is the prohibition of secular homosexual marriage incompatible with your patriotism?  Be honest.

NOPE!!!

All citizens are guaranteed equality under the law. And the Supreme Court effectively ruled that defining marriage as a union between a man and a woman DOES NOT VIOLATE the Equal Protection Clause of the Constitution.

Until/unless a different ruling occurs, that's the law of the land. That's why we have 30 states with marriage amendments.

Obviously, I'm talking about secular marriage only.  If you want a church wedding, you have to play by church rules.  The US government cannot dictate religious doctrine.

The two are intertwined. That’s why pastors can perform marriage ceremonies and sign the paperwork to be submitted to the state. A good friend of mine (the father of an old college buddy) who is a retired minister did the ceremony for me and my wife. He signed the paperwork and the marriage is official.

elite_lifter

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #229 on: May 29, 2009, 08:45:07 AM »
Gays and gay marriage. ::) Oh brother!!
I am a big baby

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #230 on: May 29, 2009, 09:25:55 AM »
The two are intertwined. That’s why pastors can perform marriage ceremonies and sign the paperwork to be submitted to the state. A good friend of mine (the father of an old college buddy) who is a retired minister did the ceremony for me and my wife. He signed the paperwork and the marriage is official.

There's something inherently wrong about the churches being in business with the states, but religious people almost never see it that way. 

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #231 on: May 29, 2009, 10:40:20 AM »
NOPE!!!

All citizens are guaranteed equality under the law. And the Supreme Court effectively ruled that defining marriage as a union between a man and a woman DOES NOT VIOLATE the Equal Protection Clause of the Constitution.

Until/unless a different ruling occurs, that's the law of the land. That's why we have 30 states with marriage amendments.

I'm not asking about a court ruling.  I want to hear personal opinions.  A group is being denied by law something which is granted to others.  That is the very definition of inequitable treatment.  Doesn't that strike you as un-American?

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #232 on: May 29, 2009, 11:00:19 AM »
I'm not asking about a court ruling.  I want to hear personal opinions.  A group is being denied by law something which is granted to others.  That is the very definition of inequitable treatment.  Doesn't that strike you as un-American?

But, but Americans expressed their 'free speech' and voted for it, therefore it IS American.  ::)

I gotta say, watching the 'yes on 8' folks shouting about their right to free speech was hilarious.  I was like, "Uh, do you people understand any of the issues, or are you just hoping to win it with buzzwords?"

Croatch

• Getbig V
  • Man up, train natural.
« Reply #233 on: May 29, 2009, 11:02:21 AM »

Exactly, it's not enough for them to be fags with a contract, they have to have the term "marriage".
It's like they are trying to put it in everyone's face.

All the fags, be glad that you are gay in the western world, this is your fate in other parts of the world.

Are you saying it's wrong to "love" your fellow man? ;D
N

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #234 on: May 29, 2009, 11:05:48 AM »
Are you saying it's wrong to "love" your fellow man? ;D

You forgot to mention that you are natural.
I hate the State.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #235 on: May 29, 2009, 11:13:41 AM »
All the fags, be glad that you are gay in the western world, this is your fate in other parts of the world.

There are a LOT of gays in the little Sharia police packs. 

I wouldn't swear to it, but I'm sure that this Russian girl and I once caught a couple of them in a compromising position when I was in Dubai.  (no homo)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #236 on: May 29, 2009, 12:11:20 PM »

Not really. This group isn't being denied anything. Marriage is defined as a union between a man and a woman in all but four states. I'll use my home state (Florida), for example.

If you're a guy, you must bring a woman to the court or to the church to get hitched.

If gays dudes forfeit that, because they'd rather do the Brokeback, that's their problem, not that of the state or the country.

You can't claim that someone being denied something, until you CLEARLY DEFINE what that something is. And that's what's at stake: The definition of marriage, itself.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #237 on: May 29, 2009, 12:17:28 PM »
But, but Americans expressed their 'free speech' and voted for it, therefore it IS American.  ::)

I gotta say, watching the 'yes on 8' folks shouting about their right to free speech was hilarious.  I was like, "Uh, do you people understand any of the issues, or are you just hoping to win it with buzzwords?"

They understand the issues quite well. One of those issues is that they have the right to define marriage as they see fit, barring any federal constitutional breach. We have legal precedence stating that defining marriage as a 1M-1W union imposes no such breach.

Therefore, their free speech is THREATENED, wheneeveer some gay activists try to nullify the votes at the ballot box, just because they lost on election day, or when some far-left Legislature plays political game to keep the people from voting on this issue (because they know what the outcome will be).

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #238 on: May 29, 2009, 12:20:08 PM »
Not really. This group isn't being denied anything. Marriage is defined as a union between a man and a woman in all but four states. I'll use my home state (Florida), for example.

If you're a guy, you must bring a woman to the court or to the church to get hitched.

If gays dudes forfeit that, because they'd rather do the Brokeback, that's their problem, not that of the state or the country.

You can't claim that someone being denied something, until you CLEARLY DEFINE what that something is. And that's what's at stake: The definition of marriage, itself.

But you haven't even clearly defined what gender is. 

If a genetic male self-identifies as a woman, does the electorate have to vote on the validity of that, too?

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #239 on: May 29, 2009, 12:31:55 PM »

If a genetic male self-identifies as a woman, does the electorate have to vote on the validity of that, too?

Pouring syrup on poop don't make it a pancake, Tre.

Someone could feel like Bill friggen Gates on the inside but that doesn't make them a millionaire. :)

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #240 on: May 29, 2009, 12:43:07 PM »

Someone could feel like Bill friggen Gates on the inside but that doesn't make them a millionaire. :)
Classic.  ;D

Just because Tre likes to hump she-males he wants to make gender indefinable.  ::)  ;D

If gender no longer has a qualification, we will need to overturn all sorts of equal rights laws.
!

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #241 on: May 29, 2009, 12:43:44 PM »

what is your motivation to post that pic?   The pic is real.  Ayaz Marhoni, age 18, and Mahmoud Asgar, age 17, were hanged in July of 2005 in Mashhad, Iran (after receiving 228 lashes) after being found having sex together almost 2 years earlier.     Two teenagers get executed for playing around with each other, and you post it here for what?  to intimidate gays?

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #242 on: May 29, 2009, 12:49:47 PM »
what is your motivation to post that pic?   The pic is real.  Ayaz Marhoni, age 18, and Mahmoud Asgar, age 17, were hanged in July of 2005 in Mashhad, Iran (after receiving 228 lashes) after being found having sex together almost 2 years earlier.     Two teenagers get executed for playing around with each other, and you post it here for what?  to intimidate gays?

Yet, Sean Penn (who blasted the people for passing Prop. 8, while accepting an award for his role as gay activist, Harvey Milk) is all chummy with Iran's president. But, he thought George Bush was Lucifer with a Texas accent and big ears.

sbfreak1

• Getbig I
« Reply #243 on: May 29, 2009, 12:53:53 PM »

I don't think the pic was to intimidate. I think he wanted to point out that gays in america have it good because of the freedom. Not such the case in Iran I guess. I wonder if they thought it was worth it? packin the fudge that is.

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #244 on: May 29, 2009, 12:59:56 PM »
I don't think the pic was to intimidate. I think he wanted to point out that gays in america have it good because of the freedom.

that's still intimidation.  "Know your place.  Be happy with what we allow you to have."

Not such the case in Iran I guess. I wonder if they thought it was worth it? packin the fudge that is.

God.   They were kids.  Straight kids play around.  Straight kids feel love.   (we adults may call it puppy love) 

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #245 on: May 29, 2009, 01:10:20 PM »

But society allows gender-swapping transitions for people who desire them. 

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #246 on: May 29, 2009, 01:16:33 PM »
But society allows gender-swapping transitions for people who desire them. 

Re-read the 'syrup/pancake' analogy. :)

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #247 on: May 29, 2009, 01:37:15 PM »

It's really that ambiguous to you?

Ok, I hereby self-identify as an oppressed black man. Can you maybe help me score some Affirmative Action?

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #248 on: May 29, 2009, 01:45:14 PM »
It's really that ambiguous to you?

Ok, I hereby self-identify as an oppressed black man. Can you maybe help me score some Affirmative Action?

Wigga please!

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #249 on: May 29, 2009, 02:09:51 PM »
Wigga please!

Who are you to tell me I'm not?

My Asian ancestors migrated to Africa and humped themselves some local sapiens, so I got that. June-August brings out the pigment, and I like me a refreshing Fanta Purple from time to time.

Also, I call my girl "Boo."

Black, I say.