Author Topic: US energy chief: Paint roofs white to fight global warming  (Read 530 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
US Energy Secretary Steven Chu said Tuesday the Obama administration wanted to paint roofs an energy-reflecting white, as he took part in a climate change symposium in London.

The Nobel laureate in physics called for a “new revolution” in energy generation to cut greenhouse gas emissions.

But he warned there was no silver bullet for tackling climate change, and said a range of measures should be introduced, including painting flat roofs white.

Making roads and roofs a paler colour could have the equivalent effect of taking every car in the world off the road for 11 years, Chu said.

It was a geo-engineering scheme that was “completely benign” and would keep buildings cooler and reduce energy use from air conditioning, as well as reflecting sunlight back away from the Earth.

For people who found white hard on the eye, scientists had also developed “cool colours” which looked to the human eye like normal ones, but reflect heat like pale colours even if they are darker shades.

And painting cars in cool or light colours could deliver considerable savings on energy use for air conditioning units, he said.

Speaking at the start of a symposium on climate change hosted by the Prince of Wales and attended by more than 20 Nobel laureates, Chu said fresh thinking was required to cut the amount of carbon created by power generation.

He said: “The industrial revolution was a revolution in the use of energy. It offloaded from human and animal power into using fossil fuels.

“We have to go to a different new revolution that can severely decrease the amount of carbon emissions in the generation of energy.”

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
Re: US energy chief: Paint roofs white to fight global warming
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 08:49:35 PM »
lol

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 08:59:12 PM »
if nothing else we should find other sources of fuel just because fossil fuel and it's derivatives are finite..........No?

He said: “The industrial revolution was a revolution in the use of energy. It offloaded from human and animal power into using fossil fuels.

“We have to go to a different new revolution that can severely decrease the amount of carbon emissions in the generation of energy.”

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 08:04:33 AM »
paiting roofs sounds like a good idea.  small cost, and if it really results in that much energy savings, it should be a no-brainer.  even if you hate obama.

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 08:30:10 AM »
I have an idea.Why dont we drill for the oil THATS HERE!!!!Why dont we build nuke plants?Why dont we use the oil shale?No,those are dumb ideas.Lets paint the roofs white.What a bunch of dickheads!!!!All for the lie of global warming[which they now call climate change because thre earth is cooling].

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 08:42:38 AM »
I have an idea.Why dont we drill for the oil THATS HERE!!!!Why dont we build nuke plants?Why dont we use the oil shale?No,those are dumb ideas.Lets paint the roofs white.What a bunch of dickheads!!!!All for the lie of global warming[which they now call climate change because thre earth is cooling].

this has nothing to do with oil.  global warming is a load of shit as al gore uses it, but there's no denying it's warmer.  personally, i believe it's due to natural sun cycles, but that's just me.

This is about a tool mankind can use to make the impact of higher temps less.  I think we should all be all for it. 

I saw a repub speaker on msnbc 2 weeks ago - he pointed out temperature on all planets on the solar system are up now as well - that made a lot of sense to me.  I dont think global temp changes are manmade - but I do think we can help combat it.  If painting roofs - resulting in hundreds of thousands of square miles of "fake clouds" to reflect sublight instead of absorbing it, i'm all for it.  You're not?

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 09:08:41 AM »
So white roofs would reflect the sun light, keeping US homes cooler in the summer and thus saving energy on air conditioning. 

That's good, but it would also keep US homes cooler in the winter, increasing energy costs on heating. 

What are Americans supposed to do now, paint their roofs white in the summer and then paint them black in the winter?

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 09:46:20 AM »
this has nothing to do with oil.  global warming is a load of shit as al gore uses it, but there's no denying it's warmer.  personally, i believe it's due to natural sun cycles, but that's just me.

This is about a tool mankind can use to make the impact of higher temps less.  I think we should all be all for it. 

I saw a repub speaker on msnbc 2 weeks ago - he pointed out temperature on all planets on the solar system are up now as well - that made a lot of sense to me.  I dont think global temp changes are manmade - but I do think we can help combat it.  If painting roofs - resulting in hundreds of thousands of square miles of "fake clouds" to reflect sublight instead of absorbing it, i'm all for it.  You're not?

Who will pay for the roofs?How will a white roof keep the house warm in the winter?