Author Topic: N. Korea threatens to attack US, S. Korea warships  (Read 776 times)

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
N. Korea threatens to attack US, S. Korea warships
« on: May 27, 2009, 09:12:51 AM »
N. Korea threatens to attack US, S. Korea warships
By HYUNG-JIN KIM, Associated Press Writer

SEOUL, South Korea – North Korea threatened military action Wednesday against U.S. and South Korean warships plying the waters near the Koreas' disputed maritime border, raising the specter of a naval clash just days after the regime's underground nuclear test.

Pyongyang, reacting angrily to Seoul's decision to join an international program to intercept ships suspected of aiding nuclear proliferation, called the move tantamount to a declaration of war.

"Now that the South Korean puppets were so ridiculous as to join in the said racket and dare declare a war against compatriots," North Korea is "compelled to take a decisive measure," the Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of Korea said in a statement carried by state media.

Seoul's decision comes at a time when "the state of military confrontation is growing acute and there is constant danger of military conflict," the statement warned.

South Korea's military said Wednesday it was prepared to "respond sternly" to any North Korean provocation.

North Korea's latest belligerence comes as the U.N. Security Council debates how to punish the regime for testing a nuclear bomb Monday in what President Barack Obama called a "blatant violation" of international law.

Ambassadors from the five permanent veto-wielding council members — the United States, Russia, China, Britain and France — as well as Japan and South Korea were working out the details of a new resolution.

The success of any new sanctions would depend on how aggressively China, one of North Korea's only allies, implements them.

"It's not going too far to say that China holds the keys on sanctions," said Kim Sung-han, an international relations professor at Seoul's Korea University.

South Korea, divided from the North by a heavily fortified border, had responded to the nuclear test by joining the Proliferation Security Initiative, a U.S.-led network of nations seeking to stop ships from transporting the materials used in nuclear bombs.

Seoul previously resisted joining the PSI in favor of seeking reconciliation with Pyongyang, but pushed those efforts aside Monday after the nuclear test in the northeast.

North Korea warned Wednesday that any attempt to stop, board or inspect its ships would constitute a "grave violation."

The regime also said it could no longer promise the safety of U.S. and South Korean warships and civilian vessels in the waters near the Korea's western maritime border.

"They should bear in mind that the (North) has tremendous military muscle and its own method of strike able to conquer any targets in its vicinity at one stroke or hit the U.S. on the raw, if necessary," it said.

The maritime border has long been a flashpoint between the two Koreas. North Korea disputes the line unilaterally drawn by the United Nations at the end of the Koreas' three-year war in 1953, and has demanded it be redrawn further south.

The truce signed in 1953 and subsequent military agreements call for both sides to refrain from warfare, but doesn't cover the waters off the west coast.

North Korea has used the maritime border dispute to provoke two deadly naval skirmishes — in 1999 and 2002.

On Wednesday, the regime promised "unimaginable and merciless punishment" for anyone daring to challenge its ships.

Pyongyang also reportedly restarted its weapons-grade nuclear plant, South Korean media said.
!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: N. Korea threatens to attack US, S. Korea warships
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 10:49:45 AM »
Time for obama to get proactive on their asses.

Anyone know how to say "shift the paradigm' in korean?

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 11:13:49 AM »
If I were in his position, I  would have already optimized my knowledge acquisition. At this point it's all about setting goals and moving forward. There have been a lot of setbacks, but in a strategy some posters have already put forward, a proactive directive is needed to cover all of our bases. At this point it's all about facilitating the most feasible information flow, creating synergy with our partners and monetizing our vision and streamlining our sanctions.

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 11:17:11 AM »
N Korea knows exactly when to strike don't they? Wait for America to engage in an overseas war before setting off first nuke - check.  When a recession hits and America is still in an overseas war set off second nuke - check.  There really isn't a lot America can do.  It's China that have to apply the pressure. 
Abandon every hope...

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 11:22:43 AM »
If I were in his position, I  would have already optimized my knowledge acquisition. At this point it's all about setting goals and moving forward. There have been a lot of setbacks, but in a strategy some posters have already put forward, a proactive directive is needed to cover all of our bases. At this point it's all about facilitating the most feasible information flow, creating synergy with our partners and monetizing our vision and streamlining our sanctions.

Too bad "ZERO" didn't think of that, right tony?

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 12:28:03 PM »
I doubt they're going to attack. To me it feels like they're going to posture like this for a while and then come back to the table and demand 10x more in concessions. They're doing this to show that they have some muscles to flex and are going to ask for a whole lot more than they would have been offered.

IFBBwannaB

• Getbig V
  • BAN stick!
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 12:50:47 PM »

A Nuclear Iran will be able to pull shit like this and worse whenever they like too.

Do you start to understand why I think it's time to act?

Just imagine....a Nuclear Iran...invading Iraq after Obama pulls the troops...what Obama will do in that situation? Nothing! Millions will die, Iran will get more Oil and the whole area will be a mess since Saudi will be next.

Don't forget that Arabs fight amongst themself for ages, and with Oil & the tribal dispute (Sunni and Sheye, or however it is spelled), it's only a matter of time before Iran will try to imitate Salah Adin and conquer the whole area with the backup of it's Nuclear arsenal....

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 12:56:51 PM »
This is saber rattling.  They ain't gonna do jack diddley.

They attack one ship and the retaliation they will receive will cost them hundreds of millions they don't have and their 3rd world air defense system will exposed as spears and arrows.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 01:00:24 PM »
A Nuclear Iran will be able to pull shit like this and worse whenever they like too.

Do you start to understand why I think it's time to act?

Just imagine....a Nuclear Iran...invading Iraq after Obama pulls the troops...what Obama will do in that situation? Nothing! Millions will die, Iran will get more Oil and the whole area will be a mess since Saudi will be next.

Don't forget that Arabs fight amongst themself for ages, and with Oil & the tribal dispute (Sunni and Sheye, or however it is spelled), it's only a matter of time before Iran will try to imitate Salah Adin and conquer the whole area with the backup of it's Nuclear arsenal....

Might be a huge reason why we invaded Iraq in the first place.  We knew eventually Iran would have nukes and had to get a foot hold there or lose control of lots of oil. 

IFBBwannaB

• Getbig V
  • BAN stick!
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 01:04:44 PM »
Might be a huge reason why we invaded Iraq in the first place.  We knew eventually Iran would have nukes and had to get a foot hold there or lose control of lots of oil. 

A Nuclear Iran is so bad on so many levels, I can't think of one nation in the world that will profit from it including Iran. The regime there will only abuse their people more and will be at war and severe trading embargo, not to mention the rest of the world that will be pulled into a huge shit storm.

I honestly think that anyone who think that it doesn't matter is a complete moron, I see no other way on this subject...Nuclear weapons to a nation that publicly says it wants to kill anyone who isn't a holy Muslim as them  ::) :o

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 01:15:30 PM »
A Nuclear Iran is so bad on so many levels, I can't think of one nation in the world that will profit from it including Iran. The regime there will only abuse their people more and will be at war and severe trading embargo, not to mention the rest of the world that will be pulled into a huge shit storm.

I honestly think that anyone who think that it doesn't matter is a complete moron, I see no other way on this subject...Nuclear weapons to a nation that publicly says it wants to kill anyone who isn't a holy Muslim as them  ::) :o

They will also have the ability to shut the world oil market down on the spot.   

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 01:20:42 PM »

LOL you 2 are dip shits we already beat that arguement to death...fact is I called this shit when nothing was done the first time around, fact is this is probably posturing by NK...Fact is that NK waited till bush was out of office so obama would be in and they could test him, he failed and is still failing as he is passing the buck to china and russia.

What sanctions did the US put on Nk after the "satellite launch"

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 04:37:53 PM »
nKorea has nothing to loose....Obama can freeze some bank accounts that Bush froze and then unfroze. Short of that, what can he do. He can find out what kind of deal the Chicoms want in exchange for standing down, and then push ol Kim over the edge. KIm can either shit or get off the pot.
L

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2009, 04:49:12 PM »
nKorea has nothing to loose....Obama can freeze some bank accounts that Bush froze and then unfroze. Short of that, what can he do. He can find out what kind of deal the Chicoms want in exchange for standing down, and then push ol Kim over the edge. KIm can either shit or get off the pot.

Yeah, we should be negotiating with China, who owns much of our debt......

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2009, 04:52:25 PM »
They don't want US troops on their border....NK looses china they go back to shutting up. If Barry wants to do anything beyond ridiculous letters, he needs to cut a deal with china. Then Kim can't do a thing.
L