Author Topic: Mark Cuban: You only have to be right ONCE!  (Read 3725 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Mark Cuban: You only have to be right ONCE!
« on: May 27, 2009, 11:07:06 AM »
Success and Motivation – You only have to be right once!
May 30th 2005 1:46AM

In basketball you have to shoot 50pct. If you make an extra 10 shots per hundred, you are an All-Star. In baseball you have to get a hit 30 pct of the time. If you get an extra 10 hits per hundred at bats, you are on the cover of every magazine, lead off every SportsCenter and make the Hall of Fame.

In Business, the odds are a little different. You don’t have to break the Mendoza line (hitting .200). In fact, it doesnt matter how many times you strike out. In business, to be a success, you only have to be right once.

One single solitary time and you are set for life. That’s the beauty of the business world.

I like to tell the story of how I started my first business at age 12, selling garbage bags. No one ever has asked if I was any good or made money at it. I was, and I did…enough to buy some tennis shoes  .

I like to tell the story of how I started up a bar, Motley’s Pub when I wasn’t even of legal drinking age the summer before my senior year at Indiana University. No one really asks me how it turned out. It was great until we got busted for letting a 16-year-old win a wet t-shirt contest (I swear I checked her ID, and it was good!).

No one really asks me about my adventures working for Mellon Bank, or Tronics 2000, or trying to start a business selling powdered milk (it was cheaper by the gallon, and I thought it tasted good). They don’t ask me about working as a bartender at night at Elans when I first got to Dallas, or getting fired from my job at Your Business Software for wanting to close a sale rather than sweeping the floor and opening up the store.

No ever asked me about what it was like when I started MicroSolutions and how I used to count the months I was in business, hoping to outlast my previous endeavors and make this one a success.

With every effort, I learned a lot. With every mistake and failure, not only mine, but of those around me, I learned what not to do. I also got to study the success of those I did business with as well. I had more than a healthy dose of fear, and an unlimited amount of hope, and more importantly, no limit on time and effort.

Fortunately, things turned out well for me with MicroSolutions. I sold it after 7 years and made enough money to take time off and have a whole lot of fun.

Back then I can remember vividly people telling me how lucky I was to sell my business at the right time.

Then when I took that money and started trading technology stocks that were in the areas that MIcroSolutions focused on. I remember vividly being told how lucky I was to have expertise in such a hot area, as technology stocks started to trade up.

Of course, no one wanted to comment on how lucky I was to spend time reading software manuals, or Cisco Router manuals, or sitting in my house testing and comparing new technologies, but that’s a topic for another blog post.

The point of all this is that it doesn’t matter how many times you fail. It doesn’t matter how many times you almost get it right. No one is going to know or care about your failures, and either should you. All you have to do is learn from them and those around you because…

All that matters in business is that you get it right once.

Then everyone can tell you how lucky you are.

wild willie

• Getbig V
Re: Mark Cuban: You only have to be right ONCE!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 11:30:04 AM »
Thank you, 240!!!!! Awesome post!!!!! I actually have a positive outlook due to reading this Cuban article!!!! He is very accurate in what he is saying!!!!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 02:18:33 PM »
4th article down - there's a whole series of these.  They're great!

http://blogmaverick.com/

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 02:37:15 PM »

In basketball you have to shoot 50pct. If you make an extra 10 shots per hundred, you are an All-Star. In baseball you have to get a hit 30 pct of the time. If you get an extra 10 hits per hundred at bats, you are on the cover of every magazine, lead off every SportsCenter and make the Hall of Fame.

In Business, the odds are a little different. You don’t have to break the Mendoza line (hitting .200). In fact, it doesnt matter how many times you strike out. In business, to be a success, you only have to be right once.

One single solitary time and you are set for life. That’s the beauty of the business world.

I like to tell the story of how I started my first business at age 12, selling garbage bags. No one ever has asked if I was any good or made money at it. I was, and I did…enough to buy some tennis shoes  .

I like to tell the story of how I started up a bar, Motley’s Pub when I wasn’t even of legal drinking age the summer before my senior year at Indiana University. No one really asks me how it turned out. It was great until we got busted for letting a 16-year-old win a wet t-shirt contest (I swear I checked her ID, and it was good!).

No one really asks me about my adventures working for Mellon Bank, or Tronics 2000, or trying to start a business selling powdered milk (it was cheaper by the gallon, and I thought it tasted good). They don’t ask me about working as a bartender at night at Elans when I first got to Dallas, or getting fired from my job at Your Business Software for wanting to close a sale rather than sweeping the floor and opening up the store.

No ever asked me about what it was like when I started MicroSolutions and how I used to count the months I was in business, hoping to outlast my previous endeavors and make this one a success.

With every effort, I learned a lot. With every mistake and failure, not only mine, but of those around me, I learned what not to do. I also got to study the success of those I did business with as well. I had more than a healthy dose of fear, and an unlimited amount of hope, and more importantly, no limit on time and effort.

Fortunately, things turned out well for me with MicroSolutions. I sold it after 7 years and made enough money to take time off and have a whole lot of fun.

Back then I can remember vividly people telling me how lucky I was to sell my business at the right time.

Then when I took that money and started trading technology stocks that were in the areas that MIcroSolutions focused on. I remember vividly being told how lucky I was to have expertise in such a hot area, as technology stocks started to trade up.

Of course, no one wanted to comment on how lucky I was to spend time reading software manuals, or Cisco Router manuals, or sitting in my house testing and comparing new technologies, but that’s a topic for another blog post.

The point of all this is that it doesn’t matter how many times you fail. It doesn’t matter how many times you almost get it right. No one is going to know or care about your failures, and either should you. All you have to do is learn from them and those around you because…

Meltdown

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 09:23:16 PM »
great read, thanks :)

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 09:55:44 PM »
good stuff 240, interesting read

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 03:50:03 AM »

DING   DING   DING

And the harder you work, ...the luckier you get.  :P
w

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 09:27:33 PM »
The B.S. Report: 5/27
Bill Simmons talks with Mavericks owner Mark Cuban about the media, his blog, the state of the economy and more.

D/L: http://podloc.andohs.net/dloadTrack.mp3?prm=2864xhttp://query-origin.andohs.net/8000A6/content-root3.andomedia.com/origin/mp3/espnradio/sportsguy/simmons090527a.mp3

Listening to this now. great so far!

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 09:41:23 PM »
one of the things he said was

"because I made money I wasn't going to change. I was having fun when I was broke and there was no reason to change because my bank balance changed. I just could do more of the things I had fun at."

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 12:59:18 AM »
Mark just added another keeper on his blog

Success & Motivation – 2009
Jun 9th 2009 3:44PM

This is the year of WTF. Yep, What the F&&&.

It doesn’t matter what got you to the point of saying it. Maybe you got fired/layed off. Maybe your company went out of business. Maybe you quit because you couldn’t take it any longer. Maybe you are just graduating from school and the prospects of living at home are far worse than cramming in with 12 roommates in a beater house or apartment you call “The Hotel”.  Whatever the reason, the question is how do you turn this time into the start of something good ?

I’m here to give you your WTF To Do List.

1. Recognize that its ok to live like a student.

It doesn’t matter where you live. It doesn’t matter how you live. It doesn’t matter what kind of car you drive. It doesn’t matter what kind of clothes you wear. It doesn’t matter.  Your biggest enemies are your bills.  The more you owe, the more you stress. The more you stress over bills, the more difficult it is to focus on your goals.  More importantly, if you set your monthly income requirements too high, you eliminate a significant number of opportunities. The cheaper you can live, the greater your options. Remember that.

2.  Take Lots of Chances

If you are living cheap, and ready to find out where your future lies, now is the time to try anything.  WTF time means fighting through your fears to take a job in a new industry. It means trying different things to find out what it is you love to do.  There will be no such thing as too many jobs.  In this type of economy getting a job is tough if not often impossible. So you are going to have bust ass to create opportunities for yourself.

Creating opportunities means looking where others are not.  Look outside where all your friends are looking.  Make a list of jobs and businesses that are outside the norm. I know you want to follow your passions and get a job in sports, movies, tv, shooting video for Girls Gone Wild,  and other things your friends would love. Why fight the crowds ?   Go where people are not. Just like you never thought you would ever fall in love with someone else, you will find another industry or job that you will love as much as your first love.  Move down your list to other things. Then get ready to work...

For the rest of the entry, please visit: http://blogmaverick.com/2009/06/09/success-motivation-2009/
w

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 09:22:16 AM »
Cuban has some non-traditional political beliefs as well.