Author Topic: The repercussions of being accused of adultery in the Muslim world  (Read 617 times)

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage

23-year-old Yildiz A. was stabbed in the stomach six or seven times and her nose and ears and part of her lip cut off, then she was dumped in a field on the road between Boyalan and Taskesen villages. She managed to crawl to the road and was spotted by a minibus driver who took her to the hospital where she is in intensive care. According to the newspapers, Yildiz A. was married and accused of having a relationship with another man, so a “family council” was called and it was decided to kill her to “cleanse the family’s honor”. (click here for the article in Turkish) The savagery of this particular attack stands out — I had heard of such mutilations in Pakistan, but not in Turkey. On the other hand, Ayse Onal’s excellent book Honor Killing, in which she interviews the men in jail who had carried out “honor” killings, gives other incredibly brutal examples. The one that sticks in my mind is running the girl over with a tractor so it looked like an accident. Is the gratuitous brutality level increasing? Or are we just now starting to hear about it? If you believe in this code, it is sufficient to kill the person to “cleanse” honor, but there appears to be lots of room for torture and revenge. What’s that word I keep using? Insafsiz.

UPDATE: The woman’s husband, Bayram A., ran away, but was soon arrested. Their two children are with the family, although will be taken under “protection”. Bayram A. had gone off to work in construction in Izmir. His relatives accused his wife of having a secret relationship with one of her relatives while her husband was gone. The husband’s relatives called on Bayram A. to return, and held a “family council” that made a “kill” decision. Hearing of this, the young woman, Yildiz A., went to the security forces (probably the gendarmerie) to ask for protection. They took her under their protection and arranged to send her to the nearby town of Agri, but her husband convinced them that his wife was slandering him. The security forces returned Yildiz A. to her husband. (This, to me, is a major point. WHY?) He then took her to the family where she was tortured and left for dead. (click here for Turkish update article)

Will there be any repercussions for the security forces so that this won’t happen again? Do the security forces that gave her back to the man she said was going to kill her feel any sense of besmirched honor, any shame? They should. I hope they at least have a guard stationed outside her room at the hospital.

UPDATE May 21: Local villagers and Yildiz A.’s own family members told journalists that they thought her husband’s family’s decision to torture and murder  Yildiz A. was correct because “she deserved it” and needed to be taught “a lesson”. “If you don’t teach a lesson, everyone will do it.” A women’s organization is taking charge of Yildiz A., since no one from her own family is doing so. (click here, in Turkish)

http://www.kamilpasha.com/2009/05/16/another-dishonorable-murder-attempt/

Remember, you don't need to prove anything. All a man has to do is point his finger and make an accusation and that's good enough reason to stab a woman six time, cut her nose, ears and lips and leave her in a ditch. Great lesson taught there!

Why should Turkey be admitted to the EU again? It's pretty clear that they don't meet any of the human rights requirements.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
Re: The repercussions of being accused of adultery in the Muslim world
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 05:55:39 PM »
This Just in- As her first act as Supreme Court justice, Ezmeralda DelaCruz Sotomayor wants a complete investigation and a truth commission paneled to find out how many white men were involved in this attack.

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 06:43:05 AM »
I'm sure some idiotic cultural relativist will chime in stating that this once happened in the hands of Caucasoids in the ancient Germanic forests 1000 years ago, meaning that you cannot be critical of such atrocities because the fore-bearers to our society once did something similar.

Or maybe they will simply accept the islamic premise and ideological grounds produce evils within society?
الاسلام هو شيطانية

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 06:38:45 PM »
I'm sure some idiotic cultural relativist will chime in stating that this once happened in the hands of Caucasoids in the ancient Germanic forests 1000 years ago, meaning that you cannot be critical of such atrocities because the fore-bearers to our society once did something similar.

Or maybe they will simply accept the islamic premise and ideological grounds produce evils within society?

Some guy, who happened to be white like you, cut someone's ear off 1400 years ago. It's ok for the Muslims to do it.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 12:40:36 PM »
This Just in- As her first act as Supreme Court justice, Ezmeralda DelaCruz Sotomayor wants a complete investigation and a truth commission paneled to find out how many white men were involved in this attack.

George, unlike a lot of guys who post about race on here I find you to be reasonable and a guy who will listen to reason unlike guys like MattC or Pillowtalk who are straight out unrepentant racists...you and I have been on the same side many times on issues of race...

I just want to say that your take on Judge Sotomayor is misguided.....she wasn't saying something racist about white men....she doesn't hate whites or white men....she was saying that she feels that the supreme court and the judiary in general are run by white men who probably don't have the life experience of poorer people who are minorities and don't understand the plight of the poor or may judge from a judgemental point of view without realizing it......meaning they may be harsher on poorer people than they need to be because they can't relate to them

This is not to say that you should judge from a biased point of view and allow minority criminals to go free....what she's saying is that she may have a uniuque point of view due to her humble beginnings and knowing what it's like to be a minority and knowing about injustice because she has witnessed it firsthand in her community...

for instance, statistics show that minorities get much harsher jail sentences than whites for the same crimes....and that they are less likely to get out on bail while awaiting trial.....I don't make this up, it's the government statistics that say so....

what she's saying is that she understands this and would work to be more fairer in sentencing and in giving bail to defendants...just evening the playing field....not giving monorities anything they are not entitled to...treating every one fair under the law.....which as a white person you too would like to see as well right?

Purple Aki

• Getbig IV
  • penisory contact with her volvo.
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 12:46:22 PM »
Fox hunting was legal until recently in the UK, so we can't really take the moral highground on such matters!

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 04:22:46 PM »
Andre- I was just making a joke in this thread. I dont really believe she would make such a statement.

However, everything you need to know about Sotamayor comes from the CT firefighter case. That holding was not only legally fallacious, but completely illogical and imo constitutes reverse racism. Her statement about being spanish and a woman doesnt bother me, its her judicial activism, the fact that she gets 60% of her decisions reversed and because I feel her appointment is nothing more than a political ploy on Obama's part. 

My occasional jokes at her expense dont really reflect my attitude toward her in terms of showing empathy toward defendants etc.-- I feel that everyone should be given a certain amount of levity and that everyone deserves a second chance- nobody is perfect and people may come from fucked up backgrounds etc. However, basing empathy on race is wrong period. When you catagorize what individuals should or should not recieve compassion from the bench based on race or ethnic origin it is wrong, pure and simple. The judges background should not be a factor and neither should the defendants. Every individual should be examined, judged, and sentenced as an individual, not as a member of a class.

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 04:58:59 PM »
THis should be the fate of all cheating bitches.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 05:05:16 PM »
Andre- I was just making a joke in this thread. I dont really believe she would make such a statement.

However, everything you need to know about Sotamayor comes from the CT firefighter case. That holding was not only legally fallacious, but completely illogical and imo constitutes reverse racism. Her statement about being spanish and a woman doesnt bother me, its her judicial activism, the fact that she gets 60% of her decisions reversed and because I feel her appointment is nothing more than a political ploy on Obama's part. 

My occasional jokes at her expense dont really reflect my attitude toward her in terms of showing empathy toward defendants etc.-- I feel that everyone should be given a certain amount of levity and that everyone deserves a second chance- nobody is perfect and people may come from fucked up backgrounds etc. However, basing empathy on race is wrong period. When you catagorize what individuals should or should not recieve compassion from the bench based on race or ethnic origin it is wrong, pure and simple. The judges background should not be a factor and neither should the defendants. Every individual should be examined, judged, and sentenced as an individual, not as a member of a class.

agreed brother!!!