Author Topic: 'Brain' In a Dish Flies Flight Simulator  (Read 1270 times)

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
'Brain' In a Dish Flies Flight Simulator
« on: May 28, 2009, 12:08:02 AM »
(CNN) -- A Florida scientist has developed a "brain" in a glass dish that is capable of flying a virtual fighter plane and could enhance medical understanding of neural disorders such as epilepsy.

The "living computer" was grown from 25,000 neurons extracted from a rat's brain and arranged over a grid of 60 electrodes in a Petri dish.

The brain cells then started to reconnect themselves, forming microscopic interconnections, said Thomas DeMarse, professor of biomedical engineering at the University of Florida.

"It's essentially a dish with 60 electrodes arranged in a dish at the bottom," explained DeMarse, who designed the study.

"Over that we put the living cortical neurons from rats, which rapidly begin to reconnect themselves, forming a living neural network -- a brain."

Although such living networks could one day be used to fly unmanned aircraft, DeMarse said the study was of more immediate relevance as an experimental aid to understanding how the human brain performs and learns computational tasks at a cellular level.

"We're interested in studying how brains compute," said DeMarse.

...When linked up to an F-22 jet flight simulator, the brain and the simulator established a two-way connection similar to how neurons receive and interpret signals from each other to control our bodies.

Gradually the brain learnt to control the flight of the plane based on the information it received about flight conditions.

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
Re: 'Brain' In a Dish Flies Flight Simulator
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 12:51:17 AM »
Sounds like bullshit to me.

What language did the brain & the computer use to communicate ? Was the set of neurons self-aware ?

I am sure this set of gunge fell far short of flying a plane in any real sense. Cute article though.

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 09:52:37 AM »
Some thing like this would be perfect for guided missiles for one.

There has to be motivation to do something, what was the motivation for the grey cells to fly a plane, so I am also suspicious on how well it worked.
But it sounds cool  ;)

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 09:58:40 AM »
Sounds like we could have another 'Sky-net" brewing here. Wonder if this involves Cyberdyne systems.

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 07:15:09 PM »
Some thing like this would be perfect for guided missiles for one.

There has to be motivation to do something, what was the motivation for the grey cells to fly a plane, so I am also suspicious on how well it worked.
But it sounds cool  ;)

Guided missiles?

We use computers to do repetitive tasks at a much faster speed than we could ever hope to. I'd put navigation, rolling along at 1000 kph 50 metres above the ground in a mountainous area as something computers can do better than humans.

I see no point in even trying to get a brain to do this – it’s not what we are good at. Also – fact is – you put my ass in a missile & I’ll guide the fucker safely down to earth & disarm it.

Kamikaze ? No thanks. I just ate.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 01:00:06 AM »
Guided missiles?

We use computers to do repetitive tasks at a much faster speed than we could ever hope to. I'd put navigation, rolling along at 1000 kph 50 metres above the ground in a mountainous area as something computers can do better than humans.

I see no point in even trying to get a brain to do this – it’s not what we are good at. Also – fact is – you put my ass in a missile & I’ll guide the fucker safely down to earth & disarm it.

Kamikaze ? No thanks. I just ate.

:o  Are we to take it then that you consider your brain and your ass interchangeable?   :-\   :-X   :P
w

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 08:11:46 AM »
Sounds like bullshit to me.

What language did the brain & the computer use to communicate ? Was the set of neurons self-aware ?

series of electrical ons and offs

and on signal is a 1..an off is a 0
carpe` vaginum!

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 11:19:14 AM »

Anything genetic is more analog than digital.
But it needs a motivation to do something.
Maybe cocaine or some other feel good stimulant when a decision that you want it to make is done.
A genetic computer does not have to have a conscious to decide I am doing right or wrong, or I don't want to die, it just be rewarded for decision you want it to make.
and it will keep making them.

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 02:26:34 AM »

Binary is not a language. It is just a base and it is used merely because it correseponds to 2 electronic states on & off.

Commands can be expressed in binary but the commands are the language, not the binary itself. Making a comparison with the alphabet, binary allows you to do the equivalent of defining A-Z. You still need an agreed set of commands expressed in the alphabet to form a language. Many spoken languages use the latin alphabet but the alphabet itself is meaningless.,

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009, 02:28:36 AM »
Maybe cocaine or some other feel good stimulant when a decision that you want it to make is done.
A genetic computer does not have to have a conscious to decide I am doing right or wrong, or I don't want to die, it just be rewarded for decision you want it to make.

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 02:27:59 PM »

read this mang

http://www.dhushara.com/book/quantcos/penrose/penr.htm
carpe` vaginum!

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 02:29:40 PM »
Binary is not a language. It is just a base and it is used merely because it correseponds to 2 electronic states on & off.

Commands can be expressed in binary but the commands are the language, not the binary itself. Making a comparison with the alphabet, binary allows you to do the equivalent of defining A-Z. You still need an agreed set of commands expressed in the alphabet to form a language. Many spoken languages use the latin alphabet but the alphabet itself is meaningless.,

define language  :-\ 
carpe` vaginum!

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 05:58:38 PM »
define language  :-\ 

a set of characters and symbols and syntactic rules for their combination and use, by means of which a computer can be given directions.  ;D