Author Topic: Texas: City Councilman Arrested for Opposing Red Light Cameras  (Read 1464 times)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Texas: City Councilman Arrested for Opposing Red Light Cameras
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 01:20:20 PM »
The Councilman was a dummy for not following the rules and creating a scene, but having him arrested was an overreaction.  Unnecessary. 

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 01:36:32 PM »
We have red light cameras here in my town.  :-\
S

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 01:38:31 PM »
We had them briefly, along with the speed cams, but after a public outcry we got rid of them.  One old fart legislator keeps trying to bring the red light cameras back every year.  I hope they get rid of that guy. 

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 01:40:54 PM »
Red Light Cameras are fascism in effect.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 01:51:36 PM »
We had them briefly, along with the speed cams, but after a public outcry we got rid of them.  One old fart legislator keeps trying to bring the red light cameras back every year.  I hope they get rid of that guy. 
good job.  That's the first story I've ever heard of where the people were able to get rid of them.  A while back I found some studies that showed an increase in accidents where they were installed.  Can't remember if I posted it here, I think I did.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 01:53:37 PM »
good job.  That's the first story I've ever heard of where the people were able to get rid of them.  A while back I found some studies that showed an increase in accidents where they were installed.  Can't remember if I posted it here, I think I did.

I believe it... People slam on their brakes all over Los Angeles because of these stupid things... You think someone is going to go through the light, only to have them stop ridiculously just so they don't get a ticket.

Completely unsafe.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 01:55:10 PM »

The speed cams were just as bad.  The company used white vans with cameras, or what some of us started calling Tali-vans.  (It was after 9/11).  A news reporter interviewed someone from the company who said they couldn't rule out issuing tickets for going 1 mph over the speed limit.  That was the beginning of the end for them.  Then a judge threw out a bunch of tickets.    

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 03:42:14 PM »
The speed cams were just as bad.  The company used white vans with cameras, or what some of us started calling Tali-vans.  (It was after 9/11).  A news reporter interviewed someone from the company who said they couldn't rule out issuing tickets for going 1 mph over the speed limit.  That was the beginning of the end for them.  Then a judge threw out a bunch of tickets.    

They did that here too.

Did you know most of those vans are independent contractors? They are private business that gets a cut of all the ticket revenue from the local government and courts.

No joke, they had a big fight in Medford Oregon about these a few years back.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 03:46:13 PM »
They did that here too.

Did you know most of those vans are independent contractors? They are private business that gets a cut of all the ticket revenue from the local government and courts.

No joke, they had a big fight in Medford Oregon about these a few years back.

Yep.  Same set up over here.  The cops hated them too because they cut into their ticket writing.