Author Topic: Arnold and new electric Hummer H3  (Read 2589 times)

musclecenter

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mr.Taiwan
Arnold and new electric Hummer H3
« on: May 28, 2009, 07:53:53 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/slideshow/photo//090528/480/5419e94c8f4245f7a54bb27e97ea09df/
Gov. Arnold Schwarzengger, right, talks with Kraig Higginson, chairman of Raser Technologies, while inspecting an electric Hummer H3 in Sacramento, Calif., Thursday, May 28, 2009. Raser Technologies demonstrated their plug-in hybrid extended-range electric H3 for Schwarzenegger who took a short drive in the vehicle.
(AP Photo/Rich Pedroncelli)

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
Re: Arnold drive an electric Hummer H3
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 08:17:02 PM »
It is unlikely that electric vehicles will be perform satisfactorily using chemical batteries.  Chemical batteries can only store 1/40th the energy that a tank of gasoline weighing the same can contain.  This is "energy density", and batteries don't have it.

What will work is energy stored in superconducting coils, but they haven't been developed yet.  They will be however, and when they do people will be complaining how these super conduction companies are evil oligopolies.  They will kvetch about how car companies are conspiring with them.

TechnoViking

• Getbig V
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die...----HST
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 10:25:52 PM »
It is unlikely that electric vehicles will be perform satisfactorily using chemical batteries.  Chemical batteries can only store 1/40th the energy that a tank of gasoline weighing the same can contain.  This is "energy density", and batteries don't have it.

What will work is energy stored in superconducting coils, but they haven't been developed yet.  They will be however, and when they do people will be complaining how these super conduction companies are evil oligopolies.  They will kvetch about how car companies are conspiring with them.

There were many electric cars on the roads in the 90's in california...Almost two decades later there are next to none...Don't believe what you read in popular mechanics...They never stopped working on batteries for the electric car and some believe that there are batteries that can basically last a lifetime of a vehicle...Of course we will never see such a thing however they supposedly do exist...The governments of the world who get paid billions by the oil companies will tell us all when we can have such technology...But until then, we are all fucked...

sync pulse

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 10:54:15 PM »
Oh, I am not saying that there were no electric cars...I am saying that because of the lack of energy density, with chemical batteries, an electric car would not have as good of a driving experience as the same car with a two to three hundred horsepower piston engine., nor the same range on one fueling...

Now I am sure that someone will bring up the TESLA...yes its a fast car, but you go through the charge very quickly so that you have trouble driving to Las Vegas from L.A. on one charge....

When you have it so that you can't tell by the way the car drives whether or not its electric, THEN the age of electric motor vehicles is here.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 11:02:50 PM »

Cars aside, that suit makes Herr Governor look like Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec...

camelisator

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 11:36:54 PM »
I've been running my 2 H1s on biodiesel and CNG (compress natural gas) for over a year now.

G.M.W: King23's Army

disco_stu

• Getbig V
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 11:44:55 PM »

i think you might be looking at only one part of the problem. If its a gasoline car, then you have to consider the fuel and the engine as a total unit- also the efficiency, which is about 50-55%.

compared to that, sure, batteries dont have the same energy density, but the electric system is around 90% efficient and an electric motor can weigh much less than an engine, and doesnt need a gearbox etc...maintenance is much less also.

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 11:57:32 PM »
i think you might be looking at only one part of the problem. If its a gasoline car, then you have to consider the fuel and the engine as a total unit- also the efficiency, which is about 50-55%.

compared to that, sure, batteries dont have the same energy density, but the electric system is around 90% efficient and an electric motor can weigh much less than an engine, and doesnt need a gearbox etc...maintenance is much less also.

Thing most people forget is that the REAL problem with gasoline is that it costs already millions of research and environment damage only to FIND it, then you have to drill, transport the raw oil with big tanker ships (that have to be produced as well!) then refined, shipped again or transported on the road.

The overall cost and environment damage is much higher with gasoline, and even if batteries aren't efficient nowadays, it doesn't mean they will be in 10 years. Just think about what the first gasoline motors were like and where we are now.

TechnoViking

• Getbig V
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die...----HST
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 12:10:19 AM »
Thing most people forget is that the REAL problem with gasoline is that it costs already millions of research and environment damage only to FIND it, then you have to drill, transport the raw oil with big tanker ships (that have to be produced as well!) then refined, shipped again or transported on the road.

The overall cost and environment damage is much higher with gasoline, and even if batteries aren't efficient nowadays, it doesn't mean they will be in 10 years. Just think about what the first gasoline motors were like and where we are now.

Not only that but I just found out last month that George Washington wasn't America's first president...In fact he was like the 7th or 8th or some shit...They didn't teach that to us in schools thats for sure...while they were teaching us that Washington was our first President, they were also teaching us that Santa Claus actually existed...

These mother fuckers need to be brought up on charges...

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 12:13:09 AM »
Not only that but I just found out last month that George Washington wasn't America's first president...In fact he was like the 7th or 8th or some shit...They didn't teach that to us in schools thats for sure...while they were teaching us that Washington was our first President, they were also teaching us that Santa Claus actually existed...

These mother fuckers need to be brought up on charges...

lol, where'd you hear that BS?

musclecenter

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mr.Taiwan
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2009, 06:41:57 PM »

Spike

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Kill your ego

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
Re: Arnold and new electric Hummer H3
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2009, 07:24:53 PM »
or we can go nuclear.  a baseball sized ball of radioactive god knows what could power a car for a 100 years.
Deep Tissue Massage

nodeal

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2009, 07:30:47 PM »
Pussy Arnold political sell-out buying into the bullshit global warming nonsense and purchasing an inferior electric vehicle.

nodeal

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2009, 07:31:43 PM »
or we can go nuclear.  a baseball sized ball of radioactive god knows what could power a car for a 100 years.

I'd like to see more nuclear power...it would definitely make America more energy independent.