Author Topic: Couple Ordered to Stop Holding Bible Study at Home Without Permit  (Read 5746 times)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Re: Couple Ordered to Stop Holding Bible Study at Home Without Permit
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2009, 05:52:54 AM »
A freedom which you exercise on a regular basis.

Hardly. Most educated, intelligent people are NOT religious fundamentalists.

And here I thought you would be happy I am sticking up for you...how sad. :-\
I hate the State.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2009, 06:01:28 AM »
Hardly. Most educated, intelligent people are NOT religious fundamentalists.

And here I thought you would be happy I am sticking up for you...how sad. :-\

You can be educated and still exercise great stupidity. Refer to yourself as exhibit "A".

Or to use a verse from Scripture, "Thinking themselves wise, they became fools".

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2009, 06:04:19 AM »
You can be educated and still exercise great stupidity. Refer to yourself as exhibit "A".

Or to use a verse from Scripture, "Thinking themselves wise, they became fools".

I prefer to go by Socrates; I only know how little I know BUT that said we know that the Bible is NOT the product of divinity...
I hate the State.

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2009, 08:34:49 AM »
this doesn't hurt thigns on an individual scale.

however, on a macro schedule, if veryone on the block decided to do the same thing, it would be a major problem.

Plus, even if it was only 5 or 10 cars... that's some trashy shit to have to look at every friday morning, you know?  I don't want 15 people parking on my street every week, waking me up with their awkward driving (as you know church goers tend to be some shitty drivers at times, hence the term 'Sunday drivers').

I don't want 15 people parking next door and in front of my house.  Do you?  

I dont want some fucking barking dog waking me up either,or looking out my window and see some filthy dog taking a crap on my lawn even when the neighbor cleans up after it.I also dont like seeing kids bikes strewn all over the place or people that mow their lawn every two weeks instead of every week.If its a public street ,who cares what you dont like?As long as they arent blocking YOUR driveway,its none of your god dam buisiness how many people are there.

This will NEVER stand up in court.NEVER!!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2009, 08:57:21 AM »
As long as they arent blocking YOUR driveway,its none of your god dam buisiness how many people are there.

Really. 

Somehow I doubt you'd be cool with an Obama 2012 club parking 40 cars on your block - even if they didn't block your driveway - every week for 4 hours. 

And many the house on the other side of you could host a "Team Amnesty" meeting at the same time, where they get 100 of their friends together to plan how to get that darn amnesty bill passed.

yes, that will be 100 cars on your block, lined up the yards on both sides of the street and maybe a few cars in the yard.  that'll be crowds of idiots smoking and chatting on cells outside your bedroom window.  You won't mind tho, huh?  ;)

Look, ya gotta nip the 15-member crowds in the bud, because if you set the precedent that it's acceptable, you'll have the ACLU setting up 150-member crowds and saying it's acceptable, as you allowed 15 people.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2009, 09:03:43 AM »
Really. 

Somehow I doubt you'd be cool with an Obama 2012 club parking 40 cars on your block - even if they didn't block your driveway - every week for 4 hours. 

And many the house on the other side of you could host a "Team Amnesty" meeting at the same time, where they get 100 of their friends together to plan how to get that darn amnesty bill passed.

yes, that will be 100 cars on your block, lined up the yards on both sides of the street and maybe a few cars in the yard.  that'll be crowds of idiots smoking and chatting on cells outside your bedroom window.  You won't mind tho, huh?  ;)

Look, ya gotta nip the 15-member crowds in the bud, because if you set the precedent that it's acceptable, you'll have the ACLU setting up 150-member crowds and saying it's acceptable, as you allowed 15 people.

GIVE ME A BREAK!!!

15 people? I had almost twice as many people at my house for my daughter's 1st birthday party. This was just plain stupid and (unless it goes before the 9th Circuit Court) will get shot down easily.

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2009, 09:24:19 AM »
GIVE ME A BREAK!!!

15 people? I had almost twice as many people at my house for my daughter's 1st birthday party. This was just plain stupid and (unless it goes before the 9th Circuit Court) will get shot down easily.
I agree.
Many people host bible studies or other events at their house this isn't an isolated event by any means.

Does this mean every canvasing meeting or bake sale preparation etc. will need to get a permit?
If that is the case then why would Obama campaign for more volunteerism because this works directly against it.
Z

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2009, 09:33:27 AM »
Really. 

Now we have gone from 15 cars to 40.Incredible.However,for 4 hours on a Friday morning?Ummm,I work on Fridays,what the fuck would I care about whats going on if Im not there?So lets see,I wake up at 3 am,train,do two hours of cardio,then cook my food for the day,eat,take a shower and get dressed and go to work.Put in ten twelve hours.Sorry,I just dont see how some cars in the street would make ANY differance in my life.I wouldnt care if it was a group trying to get reperations.I DONT CARE!!!!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2009, 10:28:29 AM »
I could not believe this when I read about this yesterday.  How is this even legal? 

Not only is it unconstitutional, it's just plain stupid. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2009, 10:33:32 AM »

however, on a macro schedule, if veryone on the block decided to do the same thing, it would be a major problem.

Plus, even if it was only 5 or 10 cars... that's some trashy shit to have to look at every friday morning, you know?  I don't want 15 people parking on my street every week, waking me up with their awkward driving (as you know church goers tend to be some shitty drivers at times, hence the term 'Sunday drivers').

I have cars parked near my house all the time.  One of my neighbors has a number of people over on a regular basis.  It's not a problem.  It happens in this state on a regular basis (large social gatherings). 

There is nothing awkward or "trashy" about a few cars parked near anyone's house.  The neighbors haven't complained.  This is about some paranoid anti-religious extremist trying to censor religious expression.  This is quite possibly the dumbest story I've read this year.  (Next to the flag story I'm about to post.)  The City's actions are indefensible.  Someone needs to step up and put a stop to this before they become a national embarrasment. 

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2009, 10:41:06 AM »
Not only is it unconstitutional, it's just plain stupid. 

The Vietnam War and Irar War were unconstitutional as well, nice to see that you only care when it is about your religion.
I hate the State.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2009, 10:43:21 AM »
The Vietnam War and Irar War were unconstitutional as well, nice to see that you only care when it is about your religion.

Speaking of paranoid anti-religious extremists . . . .

Listen Troll, Vietnam and Iraq have nothing to do with the idiotic decision by the City of San Diego to call a gathering of 15 people in a private residence a "religious assembly." 

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2009, 10:43:35 AM »

Jesus loves you D.    :)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2009, 01:40:39 PM »

answer me this then since I've said it several times.  What about the people who have parties?  There's probably more parties across the country than bible studies.  What about the guy who likes to have parties?  The only reason he can't do that now is if the party gets out of hand, underage issue or profit motive.

Plus according to what they're nailing this guy on, it wouldn't matter if every last person WALKED to his house, NO CARS!  The complaint from a non resident started it, but with what they're saying, he can't hold these bible studies even if people walk there!

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2009, 01:44:32 PM »
Really. 

where on earth are you getting these notions 240... I've lived in a lot of places and the parking on the street has always been open unless otherwise posted.  Meaning anyone could park there.  I may not have liked the fact that the guy across the street has so many cars he parked in front of my house but I couldn't do anything about it unless he blocked the driveway.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2009, 01:48:01 PM »
Jesus loves you D.    :)
I watched some lame show last night where this lady said to another, "Have you found Jesus" and she was like, "I didn't know he was lost" and started laughing lol

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2009, 05:27:22 PM »

Don't know if this is entirely accurate, but here is some more to the story:

A neighbor complained about the Bible study after his car was dented.  He thought it was dented by one of the people at the Bible study.  The people who attended the study disputed denting the car, but still chipped in money to pay the neighbor to fix the damage. 

Since then, all of the cars are parked on the pastor's property and not on the street.  They then got a visit from a county rep who indicated that in order to have a "religious assembly" they need to obtain a major use permit (which can cost tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands of dollars).  If not, they would incur fines:  first $100.00, then $200.00, then $500.00, then $1,000.00, and then possible court action. 

So now we're not even talking about cars on the street.  It's all occurring on private property. 

Purge_WTF

« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2009, 06:15:59 PM »
  This pisses me off. What the hell is going on in our country?

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2009, 06:29:47 PM »
Don't know if this is entirely accurate, but here is some more to the story:

A neighbor complained about the Bible study after his car was dented.  He thought it was dented by one of the people at the Bible study.  The people who attended the study disputed denting the car, but still chipped in money to pay the neighbor to fix the damage. 

Since then, all of the cars are parked on the pastor's property and not on the street.  They then got a visit from a county rep who indicated that in order to have a "religious assembly" they need to obtain a major use permit (which can cost tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands of dollars).  If not, they would incur fines:  first $100.00, then $200.00, then $500.00, then $1,000.00, and then possible court action. 

So now we're not even talking about cars on the street.  It's all occurring on private property. 

The video news report that I posted I think said it was a visitor to a neighbor that complained after the disput with the dent.  And correct, the issue isn't even parking for the county.  Like I said, people could all walk there, all 15 of them ::) and the county would still be doing this lol... 

Also, isn't that county mostly republican?  I think they were in the past, not sure what happened in the last elections.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2009, 12:48:55 PM »
The video news report that I posted I think said it was a visitor to a neighbor that complained after the disput with the dent.  And correct, the issue isn't even parking for the county.  Like I said, people could all walk there, all 15 of them ::) and the county would still be doing this lol... 

Also, isn't that county mostly republican?  I think they were in the past, not sure what happened in the last elections.

I think San Diego is pretty conservative, but we're talking about government workers. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2009, 09:22:52 PM »

So let me get this straight.

Every single person here would be "A-okay" if your next door neighbor held a meeting every week for 4 hours - and during that time, there were FIFTEEN cars parked in his front yard?

look, that's some seriously trashy shit.  AFTER someone hit a car then drove off quietly - a total dick move - they're going to make things better by just parking in the grass?

I think we all like to hate on 'the man' for shitting on our freedoms, but if my neighbor's guests messed up my car and drove off - and then started parking a dozen cars on the grass - I'd have a problem with it.   Would you let your kid play in the front yard when there were 15 cars parked a few feet away?  Your dog?  You already know at least one of these folks at the meeting is a hit-and-run criminal... If one of them clips your dog, will he drive off as well?  I mean, he didn't care about $1000 damage to your ride, I"m sure he'll give a shit about your beloved Rover....

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2009, 09:29:11 PM »

So let me get this straight.

Every single person here would be "A-okay" if your next door neighbor held a meeting every week for 4 hours - and during that time, there were FIFTEEN cars parked in his front yard?

look, that's some seriously trashy shit.  AFTER someone hit a car then drove off quietly - a total dick move - they're going to make things better by just parking in the grass?

I think we all like to hate on 'the man' for shitting on our freedoms, but if my neighbor's guests messed up my car and drove off - and then started parking a dozen cars on the grass - I'd have a problem with it.   Would you let your kid play in the front yard when there were 15 cars parked a few feet away?  Your dog?  You already know at least one of these folks at the meeting is a hit-and-run criminal... If one of them clips your dog, will he drive off as well?  I mean, he didn't care about $1000 damage to your ride, I"m sure he'll give a shit about your beloved Rover....

Oh stop with the dumb hypotheticals.  Like Hugo said more than once, the cars are not the issue.  They would be harassed by the city even if everyone walked.  This is about whether a group of people meeting in a private residence constitutes a "religious assembly."  The government worker who started and escalated this matter should really be fired.   

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2009, 09:34:48 PM »
Oh stop with the dumb hypotheticals.  Like Hugo said more than once, the cars are not the issue.  They would be harassed by the city even if everyone walked.  This is about whether a group of people meeting in a private residence constitutes a "religious assembly."  The government worker who started and escalated this matter should really be fired.   

BB,

Your new cars gets all dented up, and the 15 pricks meeting next door don't have the balls to own up and knock on your door and inform you?

You have to wake up, walk outside, see your car all dented - no note- because the "religious" man who sideswiped you just kept right on driving?

BS.  You'd be pissed too.  You'd want those 15 idiots - whether they're worshipping, playing dungeons and dragons, or working for greenpeace - to just meet some place else.

This is a govt technicality being selectively enforced because the people having the meeting fcked up somebody's car and didn't man up and admit it.  The hit-and-run driver is an A-hole, and he screwed up their little meeting spot by damaging someone's car and zooming off.  If he had followed the law, and called police or knocked on door, they'd still have their club meeetings.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2009, 09:42:46 PM »
BB,

Your new cars gets all dented up, and the 15 pricks meeting next door don't have the balls to own up and knock on your door and inform you?

You have to wake up, walk outside, see your car all dented - no note- because the "religious" man who sideswiped you just kept right on driving?

BS.  You'd be pissed too.  You'd want those 15 idiots - whether they're worshipping, playing dungeons and dragons, or working for greenpeace - to just meet some place else.

This is a govt technicality being selectively enforced because the people having the meeting fcked up somebody's car and didn't man up and admit it.  The hit-and-run driver is an A-hole, and he screwed up their little meeting spot by damaging someone's car and zooming off.  If he had followed the law, and called police or knocked on door, they'd still have their club meeetings.

Another dumb hypoethical.  We're not talking about 15 cars.   ::)  The people attending the Bible study were not "pricks" or "idiots."   ::)  They denied causing the damage, but still paid for it.  If you're going to continue with the absurd scenarios, at least get your facts straight.   

But again, cars are not the issue.  You don't seem to understand that.  This is a First Amendment issue.  That is all.  And goodnight.   

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2009, 03:54:04 AM »
Another dumb hypoethical.  We're not talking about 15 cars.   ::)  The people attending the Bible study were not "pricks" or "idiots."   ::)  They denied causing the damage, but still paid for it.  If you're going to continue with the absurd scenarios, at least get your facts straight.   

But again, cars are not the issue.  You don't seem to understand that.  This is a First Amendment issue.  That is all.  And goodnight.   

Yes.  If you mess up someone's car and drive off, you're a prick/idiot.

Of course this is a first amendment issue, and of course they're only being targeted/enforced because the neighbor is making a big stink about it.

But if they hadn't messed up his car then drove off like CRIMINALS, they'd still be meeting every week.