Author Topic: Isn't it sad ???  (Read 6233 times)

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
Isn't it sad ???
« on: June 02, 2009, 03:03:45 AM »
You stop watching wrestling for a few years (around 5) turn it on by chance one day while flipping through channels and ABSOLUTELY nothing has changed !?!?! the same ancient guys from 10 years ago are still running around doing their soap opera? ie. kane, undertaker, jericho, shawn michaels, triple h....it's become so fuckign sad and pathetic.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
Re: Isn't it sad ???
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 04:13:06 AM »
You stop watching wrestling for a few years (around 5) turn it on by chance one day while flipping through channels and ABSOLUTELY nothing has changed !?!?! the same ancient guys from 10 years ago are still running around doing their soap opera? ie. kane, undertaker, jericho, shawn michaels, triple h....it's become so fuckign sad and pathetic.

That's the beauty of it Cap :)

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 05:49:12 AM »

Arggggggggg, bring back territories!!!  Product didn't get as stale because guys floated around.  That is why I will NEVER forgive VKM.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 08:21:54 AM »

Arggggggggg, bring back territories!!!  Product didn't get as stale because guys floated around.  That is why I will NEVER forgive VKM.
Right now there is WWE, TNA, NJPW and some organization in Europe where wrestlers can make some good money.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 12:27:41 PM »
Right now there is WWE, TNA, NJPW and some organization in Europe where wrestlers can make some good money.

Man, 4 territories, with the WWE having the vast majority of talent....harken for the days of 20 or so in the States alone with talent rotating on a regular basis....I remember getting so excited when they ran the mini-movies for guys coming to an area that I had only read about in the mags, but had never watched wrestle.  Very cool time to be a fan.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 04:20:06 AM »
Man, 4 territories, with the WWE having the vast majority of talent....harken for the days of 20 or so in the States alone with talent rotating on a regular basis....I remember getting so excited when they ran the mini-movies for guys coming to an area that I had only read about in the mags, but had never watched wrestle.  Very cool time to be a fan.
I think the 80's was the best time to be a fan.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 07:15:47 AM »

QFT !!!!!

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 07:16:53 PM »

Probably why WWF has released so much “classic” merchandise over the last few years - 80’s superstar compilation DVD’s, championship belt replicas (‘84-‘90’s styles), classic Jakk’s figures, etc.

20 years ago I would have done anything (before I knew what anything could encompass) for an ’86 “Hogan” belt, or the Randy Savage I.C. title.
I’m sure lots of kids from that generation would as well.

And now, 20 years later, that generation is still near and dear in our hearts and we can afford to plop down $300 for a stiff, imitation leather belt that doesn’t fit a single pair of pants in our closet and really doesn’t “go” with anything unless you also happened to buy a pair of Macho Man’s ring worn trunks off ebay.

My point is that when ratings and profits are down, Vince can still milk his glory years because:
a.) that era will always be golden, and
b.) the younger fans he had then are now older fans with jobs/money who
      will always love the glory years and are willing to buy pieces of it today.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 10:25:30 AM »
Probably why WWF has released so much “classic” merchandise over the last few years - 80’s superstar compilation DVD’s, championship belt replicas (‘84-‘90’s styles), classic Jakk’s figures, etc.

20 years ago I would have done anything (before I knew what anything could encompass) for an ’86 “Hogan” belt, or the Randy Savage I.C. title.

And now, 20 years later, that generation is still near and dear in our hearts and we can afford to plop down $300 for a stiff, imitation leather belt that doesn’t fit a single pair of pants in our closet and really doesn’t “go” with anything unless you also happened to buy a pair of Macho Man’s ring worn trunks off ebay.

My point is that when ratings and profits are down, Vince can still milk his glory years because:

The price tags on the merchandise is crazy. I went to Raw this past December here in Toronto and The WWE replica title fetched for 500 bucks Canadian while the World Heavyweight title (resembling Flairs old title) went for 400 bucks. A triple HHH tee shirt that I bought was 45 bucks. Unreal, and the shit sells out fast.

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 02:24:42 PM »

The problem is, the WWF has really missed the boat on creating new stars. They promoted the wrong people to main event. People like Orton, should not be anywhere near a World title. Then it doesn't help to have a wrestler married to the bosses' daughter, that's a huge conflict of interest right there. Triple H has his "boys", so you better kiss his ass.

Another problem is, they have no serious competition. There's no reason to give new guys a shot. Back when WCW was around, guys would leave, so new stars had to be created.
HAHA, RON.....

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 02:57:21 PM »

Another problem is, they have no serious competition. There's no reason to give new guys a shot. Back when WCW was around, guys would leave, so new stars had to be created.

All goes back to the territory days with multiple feds.  The in-ring product was head and shoulders above what it is now...and the guys now are much better athletes on average, they just don't have anywhere to hone their craft, so to speak.  And please don't anybody bring up the OVW....

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 03:09:02 PM »
I think one of the problems like Show said is no territories. Guys cant learn different ways of working. It's all the WWE style, very few go to Japan or Mexico to learn the craft either, that IMO is why all the newer guys Rhodes, Ted, Swagger all seem interchangeable.

mame09

• Getbig III
  • its simple if it jiggles its fat
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 12:10:19 AM »
is ted di biase jnr really million dollar man son

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2009, 01:28:59 AM »
All goes back to the territory days with multiple feds.  The in-ring product was head and shoulders above what it is now...and the guys now are much better athletes on average, they just don't have anywhere to hone their craft, so to speak.  And please don't anybody bring up the OVW....

Very  true.

I think one of the problems like Show said is no territories. Guys cant learn different ways of working. It's all the WWE style, very few go to Japan or Mexico to learn the craft either, that IMO is why all the newer guys Rhodes, Ted, Swagger all seem interchangeable.

Good point.
HAHA, RON.....

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2009, 05:35:40 AM »
I suspect that part of the problem, too, is that just about everything has been done.
It was easier to be innovative 25 years ago because the style leading up to that was so much more simplistic – guys could draw heat simply by pulling their opponent’s hair or sitting in a rest hold for 2-3 minutes.

Guys like Foley, HBK, The Hardy Boyz, Benoit, Guerrerro, ECW, etc. provided something different to watch.
But each time they raised the bar, the industry adapted and everybody started working that way.

A guy falls off of a 10 ft. ladder & crashes through a table. Next PPV a guy falls off the top of a 20 ft. cage and crashes through 2 tables. Where do you go from there?

There comes a point where you can’t do any more, or go any farther.
You exhaust your well of angles and gimmicks.
You’re no longer special, less people feel you’re worth $40.00/PPV, and your buy rates plummet.

Wrestling will rebound. It always does, but I really don’t think it will ever be as big as it was.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2009, 08:57:38 AM »
is ted di biase jnr really million dollar man son
Yes. He even moves like him in the ring.

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2009, 09:25:48 AM »
I suspect that part of the problem, too, is that just about everything has been done.
It was easier to be innovative 25 years ago because the style leading up to that was so much more simplistic – guys could draw heat simply by pulling their opponent’s hair or sitting in a rest hold for 2-3 minutes.

Guys like Foley, HBK, The Hardy Boyz, Benoit, Guerrerro, ECW, etc. provided something different to watch.
But each time they raised the bar, the industry adapted and everybody started working that way.

A guy falls off of a 10 ft. ladder & crashes through a table. Next PPV a guy falls off the top of a 20 ft. cage and crashes through 2 tables. Where do you go from there?

There comes a point where you can’t do any more, or go any farther.
You exhaust your well of angles and gimmicks.
You’re no longer special, less people feel you’re worth $40.00/PPV, and your buy rates plummet.

Wrestling will rebound. It always does, but I really don’t think it will ever be as big as it was.

Bullshit!!! you can incorporate american gladiators type stunts in there... guys swinging from 80 feet of rope above the ring trrying to hit each other, have the  ring be a  pool of water, crazy shit!

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2009, 09:29:20 AM »
 ;D

Painlayer69

• Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2009, 12:41:18 PM »

That is so sad and true at the same time.......Exploitation of the fans, But it can be a good thing i guess to be able to buy the matches that you so fondly remember from childhood is actually REALLY cool.

BigScoob

• Getbig I
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2009, 01:34:59 PM »
Thats cause thats how Vince wants it..Interchangeable ...all in the same type of shape...all the same kind of worker...no tag team division..no managers..and if guys dont get over in 6 mo to a year he cuts them..take a look at how hes run things the past 6 yrs....its the same shit over and over with a few great moments (think Flair / Micheals storyline to his retirement match)...everything everyone says is scripted by writers who were not fans of the 70's and 80's....you want something different  watch Ring of Honor --those guys work their asses off

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2009, 07:16:29 PM »
I just read Ted wrestled for All Japan for a few years, so i stand corrected.