Author Topic: ATHEIST NATIONS are MORE PEACEFUL  (Read 1554 times)

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
ATHEIST NATIONS are MORE PEACEFUL
« on: June 04, 2009, 02:07:22 AM »
Atheist nations are more peaceful
The 2009 Global Peace Index has just been released. It's basically a ranking of how turbulent and warlike a country is.

They put it together by assessing 23 criteria, including foreign wars, internal conflicts, respect for human rights, the number of murders, the number of people in jail, the arms trade, and degrees of democracy (Guardian).

You can see a world map of peace at the Vision of Humanity website http://www.visionofhumanity.org/gpi/home.php and also take a look at country rankings for 2009, as well as earlier years.

New Zealand came top this year. Hmm, New Zealand is a pretty secular country. In fact, if you eyeball the rankings, the top few countries are all pretty secular.

What I've done in the figures here is to take data from the World Values Survey http://www.worldvaluessurvey.org/ on the percentage of people in each country who say they are a committed atheist, and also on the percentage of people who say that they go to a religious service at least once a month.

Then I split the sample into two equal groups, based on their score on the Global Peace Index. The ones in the 'Peaceful' group are countries with a GPI score less than 1.8.

Sure enough, peaceful countries have more atheists and fewer regular worshippers. The difference is highly statistically significant - in other words it's real, not just a chance finding.

Now, there are several possible reasons for this. It could be that people living in turbulent countries turn to religion, or it could be that religion is not a good way to structure modern society.

Whatever, it's another blow to the idea that secularization leads to social meltdown. Atheist countries are, in fact more peaceful.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Re: ATHEIST NATIONS are MORE PEACEFUL
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 06:34:43 AM »
There are five people in New Zealand and 2 of em are kiwi birds.
L

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 06:55:01 AM »

Exactly!!!

Look at the blissful shangri-la utopian societies that were run by Stalin and Pol Pot. The Crusades would have to be ongoing TO THIS VERY DAY to mirror the body counts, that these two amassed.

Once again, TA is engaging in first-class buffoonery.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 07:19:48 AM »
I bet foreign wars has a big part in this....   Only a few countries on earth capable or interested in conducting war.   

Lot of other factors go into crime rates or murder and violence.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 07:23:55 AM »
I bet foreign wars has a big part in this....   Only a few countries on earth capable or interested in conducting war.   

Plus, exactly how do you define "peace"? I'm willing to bet that a number of these nations are under awful conditions. Yet, they don't have the spine to stand up for their beliefs, even if it means "drawing the sword".

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 08:26:13 AM »
Yet, they don't have the spine to stand up for their beliefs, even if it means "drawing the sword".

I'm not sure what that means. 

A self governing nation is in the perpetual act of standing up for their beliefs.

I believe any of them, if attacked would try and defend themselves.  Unless of course if they are France, in which case they will just surrender quickly.   :D

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 08:35:50 AM »
I'm not sure what that means. 

A self governing nation is in the perpetual act of standing up for their beliefs.

I believe any of them, if attacked would try and defend themselves.  Unless of course if they are France, in which case they will just surrender quickly.   :D

I wasn't referring to being attacked by a foreign entity. How many countries have oppressive governments, whose citizens won't rise up against to governments, should all other attempt to change policy fail?

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 08:38:38 AM »
I wasn't referring to being attacked by a foreign entity. How many countries have oppressive governments, whose citizens won't rise up against to governments, should all other attempt to change policy fail?

If it was only that simple.   Yet it stills happens occasionally, usually with help from another country.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 09:00:04 AM »
and in how many of these places are there little agent provocateurs starting shit.  Like the CIA loves to do.  It sounds good, but to many unfactored parameters to be taken serious.  Don't worry TA, I know you didn't think of these things... :D

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 09:34:31 AM »

That's not correct...No nations are more ATHEISTIC than America and Europe and they have been the MOST VIOLENT nations on the planet
C

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 09:35:32 AM »

There are currently about 70 armed conflicts on the planet. Lot more fighting than you think. We're force fed three of them, though.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 12:11:46 PM »
What's an "atheist nation"?

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2009, 02:28:29 PM »
The Kiwi's are up to their ass in Afghanistan as well. Their SOF units are all over the place. Further, there are many "peaceful" nations that are using our two current wars to get their SOF folks trained up....never ever reported.
L

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2009, 03:08:10 PM »
The Kiwi's are up to their ass in Afghanistan as well. Their SOF units are all over the place. Further, there are many "peaceful" nations that are using our two current wars to get their SOF folks trained up....never ever reported.

Quite the opportunity for everyone!
 ;D

Everyone needs a war at least once every generation!

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2009, 04:56:11 PM »
U'd see Land Rovers and such with small flags zip by.....and no idea they had troops here.
L

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2009, 06:02:53 PM »
Further, there are many "peaceful" nations that are using our two current wars to get their SOF folks trained up....never ever reported.

Cool info! What countries?   ;D

Stormspirit

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2009, 06:18:45 PM »
im not christian but the atheistic communists are the biggest mass murderers on the history of the world.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2009, 07:53:42 PM »
Cool info! What countries?   ;D

Well we saw Danish SOF....Danish. Cool Dark blue land rovers.......
L

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2009, 08:27:36 PM »
im not christian but the atheistic communists are the biggest mass murderers on the history of the world.
yea that's a good point too, China is well known for fudging the numbers on everything that doesn't look good.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2009, 08:32:57 PM »

do they have oil?

Sounds like those 2 kiwi birds are up to something. 

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2009, 04:36:58 AM »
That's not correct...No nations are more ATHEISTIC than America and Europe and they have been the MOST VIOLENT nations on the planet

Silly man, ...Europe is NOT a country.  :P  Canada is a very secular nation full of atheists and we're quite peaceful.
w

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2009, 06:45:47 AM »
Silly man, ...Europe is NOT a country.  :P  Canada is a very secular nation full of atheists and we're quite peaceful.

As if you have a choice!!

;D

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2009, 08:26:59 AM »
w

OzmO

• Getbig V