Author Topic: Neck injury?  (Read 1533 times)

John O

• Getbig III
Neck injury?
« on: June 04, 2009, 02:30:09 PM »
Has anybody every heard of hurting your neck, deadlifting?? I did my previous max deadlift for 3 reps
 ( NEW PR)  ;D Tue evening. Yesterday had  slight soreness kinda along the right side/ back of neck. First thought was just a stiff neck like from sleeping wrong. Today it's pretty painful! It's ok if i'm still  but to move my head to the right or down YIKES! still thinking stiff neck, but did think about my last workout pretty taxing! If it matters I lift Sumo with my left hand overgrip right hand undergrip.
Just wondering if anybody had hurt there neck deadlifting ,or knows of anybody who has.

Thanks,

John
Masters- 50-54
148#

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
Re: Neck injury?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 10:33:24 PM »
Has anybody every heard of hurting your neck, deadlifting?? I did my previous max deadlift for 3 reps
 ( NEW PR)  ;D Tue evening. Yesterday had  slight soreness kinda along the right side/ back of neck. First thought was just a stiff neck like from sleeping wrong. Today it's pretty painful! It's ok if i'm still  but to move my head to the right or down YIKES! still thinking stiff neck, but did think about my last workout pretty taxing! If it matters I lift Sumo with my left hand overgrip right hand undergrip.
Just wondering if anybody had hurt there neck deadlifting ,or knows of anybody who has.

Thanks,

John

Yes, my wife has and so has one of our training partners.    It seems as if the neck pain occurs in one of two ways---from clenching your jaws really hard and trying to arch your head back (typically this is more in the front or side of the neck) or muscular strain from your traps/back. (this is more in the back of the neck, up from the traps).   

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 11:23:53 PM »
I've gotten a seriously stiff neck in a few hours after DLs. It was like a pinch that hurt on two planes of motion in one direction. I just used a microwavable heating pad and made sure I slept nice and still. Goes away in a day or two.

John O

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 11:30:23 AM »
Thanks guys. Looking back I believe I didn't use smooth form and was pretty jurky in those last 2 reps.
Guess you can get away with that in your 20's but not your 50's LOL   
Masters- 50-54
148#