Author Topic: NFL Players size and marketability  (Read 1934 times)

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
NFL Players size and marketability
« on: June 05, 2009, 01:43:49 PM »
I have a question to be pondered:...

Would the NFL be able to fill hundred dollar seats, luxury boxes, sell television time, sell pay television, sell product endorsements...well you get the idea...if the linemen weighed only 230 lbs?

What about the bonds that municipalities were conned into floating to built the stadia for the NFL?

jtsunami

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • I support Bigbobs
Re: NFL Players size and marketability
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 01:51:16 PM »
no, most NFL fans are schmoes  ;)
TEAM Nasser

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 01:51:47 PM »
probably not the nfl thinks bigger is better as far as lineman go. back in the 60's there were only  a handful of guys over 300  pounds, like doug atkins defensive end  6 ft 8 300 on the nose. i'd like to see what he'd do to this fattened beef they have blocking now.
F

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 01:54:30 PM »
No, as much as people bitch about drugs in sport, etc........., people love love to see bigger, stronger, faster atheletes. Any step backward from that is a mistake.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 01:56:36 PM »
atkins no excess flab at 300
F

lax

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 02:01:41 PM »
Mike Katz played for Jets
Waller in CFL

Kiyoshi Moody....well, I think he was with chargers

body88

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 02:09:25 PM »
probably not the nfl thinks bigger is better as far as lineman go. back in the 60's there were only  a handful of guys over 300  pounds, like doug atkins defensive end  6 ft 8 300 on the nose. i'd like to see what he'd do to this fattened beef they have blocking now.

Nothing.  The game is much faster now....plus there are plenty of freak de's.  Seymour, Peppers - etc. 

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 04:06:11 AM »

TRIX

• Getbig IV
  • If you mess with me I'll have to fuck you up
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 05:13:05 AM »
Pathetic. Having a national game and having them all take steroids. Pathetic

In before, everyone uses drugs excuse. No just no.

Sam

• Getbig IV
  • I just shoot the bastards.....Thats my policy!
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2009, 05:16:27 AM »
Not being an american i have a question for the people who follow Football on here:

What % of players in the NFL do you think take performance drugs?

I am curious as to what people who understand the sport think.

benchthis

• Getbig V
  • operation deep throat
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2009, 11:21:41 AM »
Not being an american i have a question for the people who follow Football on here:

What % of players in the NFL do you think take performance drugs?

I am curious as to what people who understand the sport think.

50-75% at any given time

with 80-90% haven at one time or another taken some kind of performance enhancing drug

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2009, 11:42:27 AM »

well, here's how it goes.  defensive linemen are taller but weigh the same as the offensive linemen, and that makes them quicker.  offensive linemen are usually shorter (because the quarterbacks can't see over them), so to be of equal force as the defensive linemen, they have to be fatter.  a rare combination of taller quarterbacks and taller linemen will often dominate (peyton manning and the colts, brady and the pats, etc.). 
Deep Tissue Massage

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2009, 11:51:10 AM »

he'd get pancaked lol

these days only the most athleticly gifted offensive tackles will make a roster at that weight.

heretostay13

• Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2009, 12:34:22 PM »
he'd get pancaked lol

these days only the most athleticly gifted offensive tackles will make a roster at that weight.

Exactly. I love this couch quarterback shit. The reason for the evolution of offensive and defensive lineman is the fact of initially someone said "well..these lineman are 6'1" 260...let's put a 6'3 280 defensive lineman across from them"...and it snowballed from there. Obviously current human body limits and accompanying attributes (specific position ability at current playing heights and weights) have kind of capped the further change in these positions.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2009, 12:23:50 PM »
well, here's how it goes.  defensive linemen are taller but weigh the same as the offensive linemen, and that makes them quicker.  offensive linemen are usually shorter (because the quarterbacks can't see over them), so to be of equal force as the defensive linemen, they have to be fatter.  a rare combination of taller quarterbacks and taller linemen will often dominate (peyton manning and the colts, brady and the pats, etc.). 
                 you might be right about atkins, but reggie white rip and lt the real lt lawrence taylor could play in any era. don't forget the incredible bulk tony mandarich a supposed phenom in college couldn't cut it in the nfl. i remember reggie white throwing him aside with one arm like he was nothing. in college mandarich pretty much dominated except one game where a little guy 235 made him look bad. mandarich weighed 315 at the time.
F

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2009, 12:28:04 PM »
                 you might be right about atkins, but reggie white rip and lt the real lt lawrence taylor could play in any era. don't forget the incredible bulk tony mandarich a supposed phenom in college couldn't cut it in the nfl. i remember reggie white throwing him aside with one arm like he was nothing. in college mandarich pretty much dominated except one game where a little guy 235 made him look bad. mandarich weighed 315 at the time.

Reggie White tossed most guys around like they were high school track runners, though.
Deep Tissue Massage

Beefjake

• Getbig IV
  • Oh fuck it.
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2009, 01:20:39 PM »

LT could probably still play today ( in his prime and with an A game ) but it would be useless.

With 3 or even 1 step drops and hot reads he'd be only situational player though

Reggie White... Maybe. He'd be cut blocked more. Bullrush was his game and I think that is easiest to counter... with bigger and stonger O-Tackle.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2009, 01:35:29 PM »
different sport but of a similar nature., ever hear of lightweight wrestler dan gable the olympic gold medalist. he later coached at a top wrestling school and routinely wrestled and owned that schools top heavyweight, although he was well past his prime so i'm not so sure some of these oldtimers couldn't hold there  own. they once asked ted williams if you were playing today how much would you hit. he replied about.300. the questioner than said only 300. ted replied ya gotta remember i'm 73.
F

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2009, 02:11:13 PM »
different sport but of a similar nature., ever hear of lightweight wrestler dan gable the olympic gold medalist. he later coached at a top wrestling school and routinely wrestled and owned that schools top heavyweight, although he was well past his prime so i'm not so sure some of these oldtimers couldn't hold there  own. they once asked ted williams if you were playing today how much would you hit. he replied about.300. the questioner than said only 300. ted replied ya gotta remember i'm 73.

Jesus..Dan Gable.

My high school football coach wrested at Iowa.  All he talked about was "Dan Gable and all the Gatorade you can drink".  We got so fucking sick of that name.  In the winter time, our school's wrestling room was on the way to the weightroom and we'd hear him in there "what the fuck?  Gable, Gable, Gable!"

From what I understand the man was a legend, but that name is forever burned into my brain.
Deep Tissue Massage

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2009, 11:13:31 AM »
Jesus..Dan Gable.

My high school football coach wrested at Iowa.  All he talked about was "Dan Gable and all the Gatorade you can drink".  We got so fucking sick of that name.  In the winter time, our school's wrestling room was on the way to the weightroom and we'd hear him in there "what the fuck?  Gable, Gable, Gable!"

From what I understand the man was a legend, but that name is forever burned into my brain.
                      that's funny almost like ferrigno yelling arh-nuld arnuld ahnuld when he's pressing in pumping iron.
F