Author Topic: Working at UPS as a loader...GREAT WORKOUT  (Read 24811 times)

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
  • I'm totally Brolic, bro!
Re: Working at UPS as a loader...GREAT WORKOUT
« Reply #125 on: June 08, 2009, 09:25:33 PM »
LIGHT WEIGHT!!!!!!

Yea, i always loved the E-Regs and workin the slide and having to be able to see where four different packages are going and seeing each weight on each one and getting one that says 62lbs but actually weighs 110lbs!! I MISS THAT!! Desk Jobs suck  :D
D

nodeal

• Getbig III
« Reply #126 on: June 08, 2009, 09:41:40 PM »
True. I know that you are dead tired after loading and want to get the hell out after but see if you can help walk the belts again or ask them if you can help set things up for the Pre Load or Afternoon group! Just trying to help you make some extra cash because i remember how hard it was. Get Hazmat Certified, $1 more per hour and it can get you out of the trucks also or try for one of the Tower spots. Towers are also another $1 raise and i know that it is not much but every dollar helps.

I am very interested in all this, and will inquire about it when I put in a few months seniority.

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #127 on: June 08, 2009, 09:57:21 PM »
I am very interested in all this, and will inquire about it when I put in a few months seniority.

Do it quick brah! When i ran the loaders and i had a guy that wanted to know everything, i knew then that was a guy that i wanted to work the tower because he "wants to Advance". It was a college job for me but i did it for three years and i advanced pretty quick and then made supervisor. I understand that you wanna put in seniority but just keep learning and doing your best. You will be sore but you can get up in UPS if you show intrest. I remember that most guys had like two other jobs and i could never count on them and they would forget to scan in and out of trucks but you seem smart, GO GET IT BRAH! You have to do your time in the trucks and i hated that but you will learn how to play Tetris and build T-Walls like they are nothing. I have been out of UPS for four years but i still remember the sort numbers and the codes to every package and where it goes! Get on the slide and you will not need to train your delts ever! They will be popping out but if you get on the slide, that is the beginning to know how it all works and they will put you in different spots and you get to learn everything.
D

nodeal

• Getbig III
« Reply #128 on: June 08, 2009, 10:10:33 PM »
Do it quick brah! When i ran the loaders and i had a guy that wanted to know everything, i knew then that was a guy that i wanted to work the tower because he "wants to Advance". It was a college job for me but i did it for three years and i advanced pretty quick and then made supervisor. I understand that you wanna put in seniority but just keep learning and doing your best. You will be sore but you can get up in UPS if you show intrest. I remember that most guys had like two other jobs and i could never count on them and they would forget to scan in and out of trucks but you seem smart, GO GET IT BRAH! You have to do your time in the trucks and i hated that but you will learn how to play Tetris and build T-Walls like they are nothing. I have been out of UPS for four years but i still remember the sort numbers and the codes to every package and where it goes! Get on the slide and you will not need to train your delts ever! They will be popping out but if you get on the slide, that is the beginning to know how it all works and they will put you in different spots and you get to learn everything.

What is "getting on slide", exactly? I'm not sure I know what you're talking about.

Alright, sounds kind of silly to say, but you're getting me psyched. Today I felt like a real worker. Much more was expected out of me by everyone. Once I adapted, I loved it. Time goes by so fast there, and again, GREAT workout. I'm building walls better now, it's beginning to come more naturally. Should only be another week or two before I ace that shit.

I'll make my way up the UPS ladder soon enough.

nodeal

• Getbig III
« Reply #129 on: June 08, 2009, 10:11:51 PM »
Good job man.. Working at a deskjob can be bad for your health.  Just don't mees up you back.

Honestly after my first couple of days my back did bother me a lot. I am much more conscious to bend thoroughly at the knees in order to limit the amount of stress on my lower back. It's very important to work safe, I learned that fast.

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #130 on: June 08, 2009, 10:50:38 PM »
What is "getting on slide", exactly? I'm not sure I know what you're talking about.

Alright, sounds kind of silly to say, but you're getting me psyched. Today I felt like a real worker. Much more was expected out of me by everyone. Once I adapted, I loved it. Time goes by so fast there, and again, GREAT workout. I'm building walls better now, it's beginning to come more naturally. Should only be another week or two before I ace that shit.

I'll make my way up the UPS ladder soon enough.

The slide is where they sort packages but we just called it the slide as the packages "Slid" down to us and i worked the point which is the toughest part to work on the slide. I always got psyched at work...I mean it is so damn "PHYSICAL" and i was like an animal while i was there and worked out before i went in sometimes and i was so damn hungry at work but always brought a Protein shake and sometimes a couple while i was at work. I was just as hungry after my 5 hours or more were up! It will become easier and it will be like driving a car after a few weeks but it is fun! Just tell your supervisor that you want to get into different parts then just "Loading". I had guys that showed no emotion or even wanting to advance and they stayed in the trailers loading and i moved up and go to be a supervisor. I guess what i am trying to tell you is, "Do not be satisfied with just being a loader". Show enthusiasm and be willing to go that extra mile. That extra mile will and can take you up to be a supervisor over the whole Center or you could get a transfer. I wish that i would have stayed with that company but i left and i make the same as i would had i became a center manager.
D

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #131 on: June 08, 2009, 10:57:15 PM »
Honestly after my first couple of days my back did bother me a lot. I am much more conscious to bend thoroughly at the knees in order to limit the amount of stress on my lower back. It's very important to work safe, I learned that fast.

I remeber those days. UPS is a great job and very Physical and the only other job that was more demanding then UPS was working as a Coal Miner. I would take UPS anyday over working in the mines in W.V.
D

nodeal

• Getbig III
« Reply #132 on: June 09, 2009, 08:49:38 AM »
The slide is where they sort packages but we just called it the slide as the packages "Slid" down to us and i worked the point which is the toughest part to work on the slide. I always got psyched at work...I mean it is so damn "PHYSICAL" and i was like an animal while i was there and worked out before i went in sometimes and i was so damn hungry at work but always brought a Protein shake and sometimes a couple while i was at work. I was just as hungry after my 5 hours or more were up! It will become easier and it will be like driving a car after a few weeks but it is fun! Just tell your supervisor that you want to get into different parts then just "Loading". I had guys that showed no emotion or even wanting to advance and they stayed in the trailers loading and i moved up and go to be a supervisor. I guess what i am trying to tell you is, "Do not be satisfied with just being a loader". Show enthusiasm and be willing to go that extra mile. That extra mile will and can take you up to be a supervisor over the whole Center or you could get a transfer. I wish that i would have stayed with that company but i left and i make the same as i would had i became a center manager.

I'm definitely gonna start showing enthusiasm for other aspects of the job and ask questions. I can't wait until I master my job and go into work every day knowing exactly what has gotta be done and doing it with ease!

I get psyched up before work too man! I did my shift yesterday after leg day at the gym. Loading after squats was a real killer, but now I know if I can do that then I can do anything! Haha! I'm looking for that supervisor position, but HR said I need to wait at least 7 or 8 months before I can expect something like that. He said to just keep coming in on time, doing what I gotta do, don't be absent, work hard, and I should be fine. We'll see.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #133 on: June 09, 2009, 09:39:58 AM »
I'm definitely gonna start showing enthusiasm for other aspects of the job and ask questions. I can't wait until I master my job and go into work every day knowing exactly what has gotta be done and doing it with ease!

I get psyched up before work too man! I did my shift yesterday after leg day at the gym. Loading after squats was a real killer, but now I know if I can do that then I can do anything! Haha! I'm looking for that supervisor position, but HR said I need to wait at least 7 or 8 months before I can expect something like that. He said to just keep coming in on time, doing what I gotta do, don't be absent, work hard, and I should be fine. We'll see.
A friend of mine started off loading trucks at ups while he was finishing school.  Once he got his degree he got a better job within the company and now makes close to 50k. 

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #134 on: June 09, 2009, 09:41:18 AM »
Perfect job for pattern seeking shit-brains.

figgs

• Getbig IV
  • from realization to infinity
« Reply #135 on: June 09, 2009, 11:35:21 AM »

Stop bullshitting and go back to the gym... really...
~

nodeal

• Getbig III
« Reply #136 on: June 09, 2009, 11:35:45 AM »
A friend of mine started off loading trucks at ups while he was finishing school.  Once he got his degree he got a better job within the company and now makes close to 50k. 

Yeah, eh. I'm not trying to make a life-long career, I just wanna put myself through school and climb up the ladder while I do it.

TA, you're so moody.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #137 on: August 08, 2009, 07:43:39 PM »
I just got this job a week ago. I bust my ass for shitty pay but I leave work with my shirt soaked in sweat every day and feeling great. This job plus weight lifting is the ultimate in physical conditioning. Love it, fucking love it.

you still "fucking love it"?

E
E

uberman09

• Getbig IV
« Reply #138 on: August 08, 2009, 07:51:24 PM »
lol  ;D

regmac

• Getbig V
« Reply #139 on: August 11, 2009, 05:41:41 PM »
Sounds too much like how LaRusso ended up cleaning Myaggie's car!!!!
((-::

nodeal

• Getbig III
« Reply #140 on: August 12, 2009, 05:30:08 PM »
you still "fucking love it"?

E

Earl...I quit  :-\ :-[

You were right, I was wrong.

I work inventory at Best Buy now...much better!

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #141 on: August 12, 2009, 07:50:04 PM »
Earl...I quit  :-\ :-[

You were right, I was wrong.

I work inventory at Best Buy now...much better!

hate to say i told you so

but i told you so ;D

so what exactly made you realize that the job is absolute hell?  i still see boxes in my sleep many years later :-X

E
E

@Brandon

• Getbig III
  • Functional muscle.
« Reply #142 on: August 12, 2009, 11:49:11 PM »

I agree that 8.50/hour is silly
but it is good enough for schoolchildren and
that 16y old boy is very happy about it, maybe it is
his first job.

Why is this TA guy so arrogant?

Mrdibbs

• Getbig III
« Reply #143 on: August 13, 2009, 09:02:24 AM »
LOL at the ''managers'' telling the minimum wage guys who work there bones off that they will climb an imaginary ladder. Thats prob the first thing they teach you in a twenty K business school; Tell them you started out just like them with no diploma's, only a hard working mentality and good will.

theworm

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #144 on: August 13, 2009, 09:33:30 AM »
problem with a shitty job like this is that you are way too tired and sore to work out.

sure you are working out, but its hard manual labor.  not going to make your chest grow.  maybe your back a little stronger.  but in the long run, you will loose weight.
you are gay.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #145 on: August 13, 2009, 09:38:07 AM »
plus these type of jobs frown upon donning the thongs and some posing oil to settle differences on the line....

uberman09

• Getbig IV
« Reply #146 on: August 13, 2009, 10:03:17 AM »
LOL at the ''managers'' telling the minimum wage guys who work there bones off that they will climb an imaginary ladder. Thats prob the first thing they teach you in a twenty K business school; Tell them you started out just like them with no diploma's, only a hard working mentality and good will.

hahahahahahaha real world is so cruel  ;D

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #147 on: August 13, 2009, 10:06:33 AM »
hahahahahahaha real world is so cruel  ;D

That's true...just look at you for example.... ;D

nodeal

• Getbig III
« Reply #148 on: August 13, 2009, 11:14:32 AM »
hate to say i told you so

but i told you so ;D

so what exactly made you realize that the job is absolute hell?  i still see boxes in my sleep many years later :-X

E

Slave labor...

8.50 an hour, only 20 hours a week, and endless boxes.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #149 on: August 13, 2009, 09:07:07 PM »
Slave labor...

8.50 an hour, only 20 hours a week, and endless boxes.

did the supervisors become dicks?

like once you loaded 400 in an hour they would then demand 500, 600, 700 and so on...

E
E