Author Topic: Working at UPS as a loader...GREAT WORKOUT  (Read 24908 times)

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: Working at UPS as a loader...GREAT WORKOUT
« Reply #100 on: June 08, 2009, 02:36:28 PM »
You would never know it from the outside but Fedex seriously over-works the employees, because they can and there's no union.

I saw the hours Fedex drivers work, then asked UPS drivers about their days and there's a significant difference. I use UPS now for shipping in order to avoid supporting slave labor.

Today

NEW YORK -- FedEx Corp. is set to launch a multimillion dollar marketing campaign on Tuesday against chief rival UPS Inc., arguing the world's largest shipping carrier is the driving force behind a bill that would make it easier for FedEx workers to unionize.

The bill currently before Congress would switch FedEx to the jurisdiction of the National Labor Relations Act from the National Railway Labor Act. The Railway Labor Act allows workers to organize, if all workers vote on a union at the same time. That has been a roadblock to unions that could not afford nationwide organizing campaigns.

If FedEx Express workers were to be reclassified under the National Labor Relations Act, they could organize one terminal at a time.

FedEx's nearly 5,000 pilots are the company's only employees that currently have a union. The company has a total work force of 290,000. UPS has about 425,000 workers; more than half are union members. Most of UPS' unionized workers are members of the Teamsters.

FedEx says that UPS will benefit from the legislation because it could potentially drive up costs for its closest competitor. FedEx also argues that more unions would mean a greater chance of work slowdowns or strikes.

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
  • I'm totally Brolic, bro!
« Reply #101 on: June 08, 2009, 04:34:32 PM »
You would never know it from the outside but Fedex seriously over-works the employees, because they can and there's no union.

I saw the hours Fedex drivers work, then asked UPS drivers about their days and there's a significant difference. I use UPS now for shipping in order to avoid supporting slave labor.

Today

NEW YORK -- FedEx Corp. is set to launch a multimillion dollar marketing campaign on Tuesday against chief rival UPS Inc., arguing the world's largest shipping carrier is the driving force behind a bill that would make it easier for FedEx workers to unionize.

The bill currently before Congress would switch FedEx to the jurisdiction of the National Labor Relations Act from the National Railway Labor Act. The Railway Labor Act allows workers to organize, if all workers vote on a union at the same time. That has been a roadblock to unions that could not afford nationwide organizing campaigns.

If FedEx Express workers were to be reclassified under the National Labor Relations Act, they could organize one terminal at a time.

FedEx's nearly 5,000 pilots are the company's only employees that currently have a union. The company has a total work force of 290,000. UPS has about 425,000 workers; more than half are union members. Most of UPS' unionized workers are members of the Teamsters.

FedEx says that UPS will benefit from the legislation because it could potentially drive up costs for its closest competitor. FedEx also argues that more unions would mean a greater chance of work slowdowns or strikes.

Fedex is horrible and all my buddies wanted to get into UPS. I liked the Union but some people took advantage of it and that pissed me off because some people did not pull their own load and forced others to work even harder.
D

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #102 on: June 08, 2009, 04:52:14 PM »
If a job can't pay enough to support someone with a family with one breadwinner, that job has to be redesigned.  Jobs in the economy should be examined with a gestalt attitude. If a job doesn't pay enough to support a family, then it is probable that that family will be on some form of welfare and so therefore that job is a leach on the whole society.

The logic is perfect...

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #103 on: June 08, 2009, 05:04:53 PM »
If a job can't pay enough to support someone with a family with one breadwinner, that job has to be redesigned.  Jobs in the economy should be examined with a gestalt attitude. If a job doesn't pay enough to support a family, then it is probable that that family will be on some form of welfare and so therefore that job is a leach on the whole society.

The logic is perfect...

that's why we have mexicans.
Deep Tissue Massage

sync pulse

• Getbig V
« Reply #104 on: June 08, 2009, 05:10:18 PM »
that's why we have mexicans.

I'm afraid you miss the logic...

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #105 on: June 08, 2009, 05:25:04 PM »
My advice....get an education and a career and train in a gym.....call me crazy.

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #106 on: June 08, 2009, 06:17:16 PM »
i remember about 3rd month in i could put a lighter under my fingers and hold it for a few seconds with no burn.  it was fucked up.

the mexicans would always steal shit, especially starter jackets cuz they could just put them on, throw some dirt on them, and walk past security.

The one that i worked in was pretty cool. If you caught someone stealing "ANYTHING and i MEAN ANYTHING" You got paid!! I caught someone stealing a magazine and it was a Hustler Mag and i got $500 for that. I know that the lowest you got for someone who was stealing was $500 and it went as high as $5k. I caught another guy trying to steal a Diamond ring and i get a hell of a Pay Day that week. I use to get people to try to steal so that i could get more money. That also helped with weeding out the idiots also. I use to see steroids pop open and would tape them back on and send them to Mr. Smith....Good Ole' days. Their was a religious kid and a box popped open and abunch of Dildo's hit him in the face and i have never laughed so hard in my lifetime!!  ;D
D

nodeal

• Getbig III
« Reply #107 on: June 08, 2009, 07:07:53 PM »
Wow! I am shocked that the union let that happen. No benefits untill a year... >:(

That sucks because i know Exactly how hard that job can be and is.

I hope that you have cool supervisors.

Try to get there early and bring a bunch of quarters and buy all the Dasani water from the machines!!

I never had a problem with having my fridge full of water!!

Building the T-Walls will come quick and be like second nature.

I did not think much about working at UPS or that it would be a "Hard Job" but now when i get a package from those guys...I respect them. They had to start where you are starting and did all that work too.

Try to get on the slide though. Does your Super come to help you out? It was hard for me not to help my guys out when i became a supervisor but the union would get involved and not let me help because i would "Take away Hours from the guys".

Do driver Helper in November and December. The hills are a bitch to run through while wearing boots

Yeah the benefits thing sucks but what are ya gonna do? It's a stable job, with opportunities for advancement part-time which is great while I go to school. The work is brutal, I just got home now (shirt's soaked). The supervisor I'm working with is a good guy, he makes himself available in case I have any questions. I like him. And I know what you mean about seeing a UPS worker...when I see them I have respect for them too knowing they started doing what I'm doing. It takes a certain amount of perseverance. Btw, what do you mean by "getting on the slide"?

The one that i worked in was pretty cool. If you caught someone stealing "ANYTHING and i MEAN ANYTHING" You got paid!! I caught someone stealing a magazine and it was a Hustler Mag and i got $500 for that. I know that the lowest you got for someone who was stealing was $500 and it went as high as $5k. I caught another guy trying to steal a Diamond ring and i get a hell of a Pay Day that week. I use to get people to try to steal so that i could get more money. That also helped with weeding out the idiots also. I use to see steroids pop open and would tape them back on and send them to Mr. Smith....Good Ole' days. Their was a religious kid and a box popped open and abunch of Dildo's hit him in the face and i have never laughed so hard in my lifetime!!  ;D

I hear stealing is a problem among the UPS workers. I can't believe you get a pay day if you catch someone...is that only for supervisors or anybody?

My advice....get an education and a career and train in a gym.....call me crazy.

I don't go to work to train I go to work to get paid. The conditioning is just a plus. Besides, the money I make gets put towards an education and the gym bill.

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #108 on: June 08, 2009, 07:13:11 PM »
I'm afraid you miss the logic...

i get the logic.  but there are millions of jobs out there that just aren't worth much, such as being a UPS package handler.  millions of packages are handled daily, if every asshole that touched the box was getting 30 bucks an hour, it would cost us 300 dollars to mail a 50 dollar item out.
Deep Tissue Massage

Bast175

« Reply #109 on: June 08, 2009, 08:09:05 PM »
I quit because i got tendenitis in my shoulders from it back when I was in college.  My lifting techniques weren't the best.  I would throw things above my head using my shoulders too much.   

Also, your muscles will be overworked for sure doing that.   Epic bad for your health and for 'bodybuilding'.

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #110 on: June 08, 2009, 08:11:03 PM »
I quit because i got tendenitis in my shoulders from it back when I was in college.  My lifting techniques weren't the best.  I would throw things above my head using my shoulders too much.   

Also, your muscles will be overworked for sure doing that.   Epic bad for your health and for 'bodybuilding'.

Did you work the slide Bast175?
D

Bast175

« Reply #111 on: June 08, 2009, 08:12:11 PM »
Did you work the slide Bast175?

if you mean, loading trucks with packages/tires that came down slides, then yes.

I worked for Fedex.  Yea the management was anti-union.

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #112 on: June 08, 2009, 08:15:40 PM »
if you mean, loading trucks with packages/tires that came down slides, then yes.

No, you were a loader. The slide is also knows and sorting and that is what tore my shoulders all up. Loading, Unloading, Sorter and Smalls.
D

Bast175

« Reply #113 on: June 08, 2009, 08:18:24 PM »
yea i think they would slide down 300 packages per hour. 

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #114 on: June 08, 2009, 08:19:18 PM »
yea i think they would slide down 300 packages per hour. 

Yea, do you miss your super yelling at you? I never did that to my guys but they always do that crap to new people.
D

nodeal

• Getbig III
« Reply #115 on: June 08, 2009, 08:40:07 PM »

Overworked? Only in the mind of a bodybuilder - someone who thrives on lifting weights as a hobby - would a few hours of functional lifting and loading be considered bad.

Bast175

« Reply #116 on: June 08, 2009, 08:41:49 PM »
Overworked? Only in the mind of a bodybuilder - someone who thrives on lifting weights as a hobby - would a few hours of functional lifting and loading be considered bad.

Well i worked 25hrs a week. That's not a lot of work hours, but for constantly lifting shift, that's beyond 'over-training' for your muscles.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
« Reply #117 on: June 08, 2009, 08:44:15 PM »
i get the logic.  but there are millions of jobs out there that just aren't worth much, such as being a UPS package handler.  millions of packages are handled daily, if every asshole that touched the box was getting 30 bucks an hour, it would cost us 300 dollars to mail a 50 dollar item out.

Again you miss the logic,  you redesign the low value jobs and make them worth more.  Somewhat as you don't see charwomen scrubbing floors by hand anymore, machines are used on floors now...Machines are used to sew...I'm sure even the linear thinkers here can see the point I am making.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #118 on: June 08, 2009, 08:45:12 PM »
i signed up for 10:30 - 2:30 shift, but they always wanted you to stay until 4

E
E

nodeal

• Getbig III
« Reply #119 on: June 08, 2009, 08:46:54 PM »
Well i worked 25hrs a week. That's not a lot of work hours, but for constantly lifting shift, that's beyond 'over-training' for your muscles.

I'm only doing a maximum of 20 hrs. Feels great.

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #120 on: June 08, 2009, 08:47:32 PM »

Look into looking for thieves because it can get you a nice paycheck! I caught that one dude that was trying to steal a diamond ring, $5K brung a smile to my face and there was like $225 and that was my basic check.  
D

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #121 on: June 08, 2009, 08:48:22 PM »
I'm only doing a maximum of 20 hrs. Feels great.

Try to get past 20 because over 20 gets you Overtime pay!!  ;)
D

nodeal

• Getbig III
« Reply #122 on: June 08, 2009, 08:50:20 PM »
Try to get past 20 because over 20 gets you Overtime pay!!  ;)

Times have changed man...I'd take more hours if they had them, but they don't. Overtime is out due to the economy. I'm very lucky to get the full 20.

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #123 on: June 08, 2009, 08:55:11 PM »
Times have changed man...I'd take more hours if they had them, but they don't. Overtime is out due to the economy. I'm very lucky to get the full 20.

True. I know that you are dead tired after loading and want to get the hell out after but see if you can help walk the belts again or ask them if you can help set things up for the Pre Load or Afternoon group! Just trying to help you make some extra cash because i remember how hard it was. Get Hazmat Certified, $1 more per hour and it can get you out of the trucks also or try for one of the Tower spots. Towers are also another $1 raise and i know that it is not much but every dollar helps.
D

regmac

• Getbig V
« Reply #124 on: June 08, 2009, 09:19:01 PM »
LIGHT WEIGHT!!!!!!
((-::