Author Topic: "It is what it is"  (Read 6687 times)

dov

• Getbig IV
"It is what it is"
« on: June 07, 2009, 04:56:19 PM »
the absolute dumbest phrase ever! Anyone who says this is a condescending prick who deserves a bitch slap.

io856

Re: "It is what it is"
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 04:57:52 PM »
you're not exactly free of using dumb phrases yourself there, wordsmith

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 04:58:00 PM »
the absolute dumbest phrase ever! Anyone who says this is a condescending prick who deserves a bitch slap.

What is it?

tendonitis

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 04:58:20 PM »
i'm glad i'm not the only one sick of hearing that

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 05:00:29 PM »
Is it what it was, if what it is, is what it was before it was it?

Epic_Monster

• Getbig V
  • "Let me pose on this one" - REV. X
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 05:01:27 PM »

Spirit of Truth

dov

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 05:04:15 PM »
What is it?
I'm ordering lunch today at a rest...server reads off specials, then says "that's all", then says "it is what it is".....I'm thinking, Gee, thanks for clearing that up, I was sooo confused ::) My point is..why do some morons feel the need to clarify what they just told me? I got it the first time, Einstein..should've bitch slapped the twink ;D

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 05:04:58 PM »
R

dov

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 05:07:28 PM »
i'm glad i'm not the only one sick of hearing that
You're a man of deliberate thought characterized by your hatred for such a foolish phrase

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 05:11:53 PM »
While the expression maybe be somewhat overused, in its proper context, it can be a good thing.  When said with a degree of humility, a sense of accountability, and without attempting to evade responsibility for one's failures, "It is what it is" can be the best thing one can say.

Usually, however, a man who says this should be forced to march through San Francisco in a rainbow halter top and pink speedo's when all the stores have K-Y jelly on back order.  
~

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 05:15:47 PM »
My main bro Bill Belichick has popularized this in the 21st century.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 05:20:12 PM »
My main bro Bill Belichick has popularized this in the 21st century.

I had thought it was Parcells...

Of course, it only reinforces the utlimate truth in that relationship.  Belichick has won without Parcells, but Parcells has never won without Belichick. 
~

dov

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2009, 05:22:02 PM »
While the expression maybe be somewhat overused, in its proper context, it can be a good thing.  When said with a degree of humility, a sense of accountability, and without attempting to evade responsibility for one's failures, "It is what it is" can be the best thing one can say.

Usually, however, a man who says this should be forced to march through San Francisco in a rainbow halter top and pink speedo's when all the stores have K-Y jelly on back order.  
agreed, this was the intended use of the phrase...however, it's become THE favorite phrase of morons and I'm sick of it. Especially when it's said directly after the explanation. ex. "Today we have snapper or filet for our specials, that's it. It is what it is".  >:( As if the statement/explanation was'nt clear enough.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2009, 05:24:25 PM »
agreed, this was the intended use of the phrase...however, it's become THE favorite phrase of morons and I'm sick of it. Especially when it's said directly after the explanation. ex. "Today we have snapper or filet for our specials, that's it. It is what it is".  >:( As if the statement/explanation was'nt clear enough.

Amen.  Sort of like beginning a statement with "Needless to say..."   (then why say it?)

~

dov

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2009, 05:24:35 PM »
you're not exactly free of using dumb phrases yourself there, wordsmith
I'll assure you I've never said this phrase and never will

dov

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2009, 05:26:28 PM »
Amen.  Sort of like beginning a statement with "Needless to say..."   (then why say it?)

haha..how bout starting a phrase with "To be honest with you,...."
does this mean w/o prefacing the statements with this, everything is a lie?

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2009, 05:27:17 PM »
I had thought it was Parcells...

Of course, it only reinforces the utlimate truth in that relationship.  Belichick has won without Parcells, but Parcells has never won without Belichick. 
He might have. I do rememeber his "shop for the groceries" line.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2009, 05:27:20 PM »
"it is what it is" and "it ain`t what it used to be" is the entire colloquialism. The phrase essentially puts a definite limitation and boundary of the issue at hand and ensures the receiver (and the purveyor) that expectations of the final idea/issue/product are not greater than which are claimed or falsely perceived and are simply met in an amicable agreed contract.

theworm

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2009, 05:28:13 PM »

AGREE!!! when is it NOT what it is????  

its like the rappers when they say "..., you know what I am saying??"  NO, i have no idea what a person with the intellect of a 5 year old is saying!
you are gay.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2009, 05:33:11 PM »
AGREE!!! when is it NOT what it is????  

its like the rappers when they say "..., you know what I am saying??"  NO, i have no idea what a person with the intellect of a 5 year old is saying!

Dick Cheney is the master of "when it is not what it is".

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2009, 05:34:09 PM »
In this economy, the phrase gets used a lot in business, in the context of "we need to deal with the situation as it is, rather than beating our heads against the wall because it isn't as we'd like it to be."   In that sense, it's a very healthy outlook.
Ron: "I am lazy."

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2009, 05:40:47 PM »
In this economy, the phrase gets used a lot in business, in the context of "we need to deal with the situation as it is, rather than beating our heads against the wall because it isn't as we'd like it to be."   In that sense, it's a very healthy outlook.

You speak the truth, but in very short order it becomes a cheap "catchphrase" or "buzzword" that draws the ire of thinking people.  Let's be proactive toward actualizing our core competencies in the global marketplace, because it is what it is.
~

dov

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2009, 05:44:37 PM »
You speak the truth, but in very short order it becomes a cheap "catchphrase" or "buzzword" that draws the ire of thinking people.  Let's be proactive toward actualizing our core competencies in the global marketplace, because it is what it is.

marketplace, because...that's the future of our business."    fixed... that's not repetetive and not condescending to the listeners

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2009, 05:49:31 PM »

LOL I have always thought it was a silly saying....WTF does it mean??  Basicaly it's just "Hey no real way to explain this but it's just the way it is"  I kind of think "It is what it is" = "Lifes a bitch"  "It is what it is" is never good.

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2009, 06:25:40 PM »
That's not Croatch!

HAHA, RON.....