Author Topic: PBW - Melvin Anthony: "I Can Beat Anyone!" (Listen On-Demand)  (Read 6687 times)

Andrew1

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
PBW Announcement - Episode #156

Melvin Anthony: "I Can Beat Anyone!"  (Replay Now Available)

This Week on PBW:   After 3 consecutive visits to the Olympia final posedown (2006, 2007, 2008), Marvelous Melvin Anthony visits the show to discuss the growing sentiment that the 2009 Olympia "Top 6" might be too tough to crack.  With the competiton at an all-time high, Melvin is looking to prove, once again, that he remains among the best in the world. - Also on this weeks broadcast, PBW covers the latest headlines from around the IFBB.  Presented by MuscleTech, bodybuilding talk radio airs on Mondays at 8pm ET.

Visit PBW's New Broadcast Home:  www.ProBodybuildingDaily.com - (Replays available on-demand courtesy of Bodybuilding.com)

Presented by MuscleTech and brought to you by Bodybuilding.com and Flex Magazine.
Additional sponsors include Xenadrine RFA-X, The Muscle Asylum Project, Six Star Muscle Fuel and BodySpace!
PBW: The Official radio show of the Arnold Schwarzenegger Classic and the 2009 Olympia Weekend! (www.MrOlympia.com)

lift 456

• Getbig III
  • Italian Stallion
Re: PBW - Melvin Anthony: "I Can Beat Anyone!" (Monday)
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 07:31:06 AM »
Melvin should have won Mr. Olympia with those genetics.  I always thought that he had better potential than Dexter.
I

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 08:51:25 AM »

Ah... Melvin Anthony - the man, the legend, the one with the best stories who makes the people laugh, especially with his way of not caring if people laugh at him. Funniest story I hard from the 2008 Olympia was the excuse he gave for not wearing the mandatory 'Olympia outfit' for the press conference.  The reason --> Because I pissed all over it. 

Melvin has had a great career, from enduring an car accident a few year ago the day he was competing at the Olympia, to almost retiring from his bodybuilding career if he did not do well in one contest that made his way.

I have know Melvin for a while now, and was one of the fortunate few to be there when he married his girl on the bluffs of Malibu. 

But yes, there is a lot of talk now that Melvin's time in cracking the top six might be over considering the incredible lineup of the 2009 Olympia.    Dexter Jackson, Jay Cutler, Kai Greene, Toney Freeman, Victor Martinez, Phil Heath - just six right here that might keep him out of there...

Armstrong

• Getbig III
  • Victor got screwed.
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 10:38:31 AM »
Melvin should have won Mr. Olympia with those genetics.  I always thought that he had better potential than Dexter.

A lot of dudes with good genetics never win the Olympia.  Melvin Anthony is one of many that never fulfilled max potential.
Everything is BIGGER in Texas!!!

Stormcloud

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 11:05:23 AM »

Melvin has no chance - lucky to be in the top 10

1 - Phil Heath
2 - Victor Martinez
3 - Kai Greene
4 - Dexter Jackson
5 - Dennis Wolf
6 - Jay Cutler
7 - Toney Freeman
8 - Branch Warren
9 - Dennis James
10 - Melvin Anthony

10th place...

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 12:25:26 PM »

Dex has said that Melvin comes in too heavy, and that he should be coming in lighter, which for Melvin means tighter...this of course was a few yrs before Dex won the Mr. O.

Melvin has lost his trademark back detail, and his lower back, glute, ham tie in, like Flex is his weakness. Also Melvin has never really come in shape, except for the 2006 Mr. O 0r was it 2005?

He's turning 40 this yr, so, his time seems like it has past. He's not gonna get past Heath and Kai, Wolfe or Freeman, and Dex as well, unless, Melvin comes in phenomenal, like a 21st Century Flex/Brian Buchanan clone.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 04:15:57 PM »
IMO, melvin could come in 15 pounds lighter, completely shredded, and be a top 4 O threat.

What he'd lose in size wouldn't matter - he's outmassed anyway - but his lines/shape are superior to most guys on that stage.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 05:31:25 PM »
Tampa Pro show - August

Dennis James and Toney Freeman to rematch in Tampa

Just like last year, they could end up 1-2 again.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 09:37:38 PM »
IMO, melvin could come in 15 pounds lighter, completely shredded, and be a top 4 O threat.

What he'd lose in size wouldn't matter - he's outmassed anyway - but his lines/shape are superior to most guys on that stage.

Yep, and a pair of calves...i have been a staunch Melvin supporter, but have been disappointed as of late.

io856

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 03:20:00 AM »
melvin has so much untapped potential... the combination of that structure and full muscle bellies with his mass is incredible... everything flows right you are not drawn to one or two bodyparts in particular... mark of a great physique... if he nails his conditioning and comes in with size to match the rest expect a top 6 finish in this tough line up

adipo8

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: PBW - Melvin Anthony: "I Can Beat Anyone!" (Listen On-Demand)
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 06:56:01 AM »
If Dexter Jackson can be Mr. Olympia than anyone can be!

Melvin has lost his aggressiveness on stage and instead of concentrating on Bodybuilding he is distracted to the Posing routine.

But we all know who will make the Best Mr. Olympia
The Xman and Melvin was beaten him for the first time by the judges.... and he is getting better!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
Re: PBW - Melvin Anthony: "I Can Beat Anyone!" (Listen On-Demand)
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2009, 12:01:50 AM »
Freeman needs to show up in that kinda conditioning at the O.