Author Topic: Obama racks up another foreign policy victory  (Read 1889 times)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Obama racks up another foreign policy victory
« on: June 08, 2009, 01:39:18 PM »
Looks like another Obama foreign policy victory 
clearly his speeches across the Arab & Muslim world are having an impact.   :)

Pro-west coalition claims victory over Hezbollah
Lebanese-Canadians celebrate voting results after massive turnout

June 08, 2009
Michael Slackman
New York Times

A flag-waving supporter of Christian politician Samir Geagea celebrates
after his "March 14" coalition won in Lebanon's election June 7, 2009.
Photo credit: Steve crisp / Reuters

BEIRUT – Lebanon's pro-Western coalition declared victory early today, in a hotly contested election that had been billed as a showdown between Tehran and Washington for influence in the Middle East.

Preliminary results, reported on Lebanese television, showed the alliance, known as the March 14 coalition, had managed to preserve its majority in parliament – representing a significant and unexpected defeat for Hezbollah and its allies, Iran and Syria.

Lebanese-Canadians rejoiced last night as the results trickled in throughout the evening.

"The achievement is this went peacefully," Elias Bejjani of the Lebanese-Canadian Coordinating Council told the Star, adding that as many as 400 Canadians may have travelled to Lebanon to vote in the tight race.

The coalition victory appeared to have been aided by nearly unprecedented turnout. Preliminary results showed about 55 per cent of the 3.26 million registered voters cast ballots. Lebanese television reported that the March 14 coalition, a predominantly Sunni, Christian and Druze alliance, held at least 67 seats out of 128 in parliament.

Though the Hezbollah-led challengers appeared to lose, Hezbollah itself – a Shiite political, social and military organization that is officially regarded by the United States and Israel as a terrorist group – will continue to be one of Lebanon's most powerful political forces. The biggest disappointment might well have been the election of retired Gen. Michel Aoun, who appeared to preserve his bloc of seats but left the Christian constituency divided.

The election was an early test of U.S. President Barack Obama's efforts to forge Middle East peace. A win by Hezbollah would have boosted the influence of its backers Iran and Syria and risked pushing one of the region's most volatile nations into international isolation and possibly into more conflict with Israel.

Former American president Jimmy Carter, in Beirut to monitor the elections, expressed hope that the United States, Iran and other countries will recognize the results "and not try to interfere in the process."

The interest in the contest was so high that, throughout Lebanon during the day, people waited up to four hours to vote with many, including the elderly and the infirm, standing in the sun and in packed hallways.

"There is the fate of the country this time," said Mireille Fiani, 45, as she stood crushed up against a crowd inside a school to cast her vote.

The voting was largely peaceful, with complaints of long waits at polling stations from voters, many of whom had to travel across the country to cast their ballots.

Army troops in armoured personnel carriers and trucks took up positions on major highways, part of a 50,000-strong security force deployed for voting day. Even before the race began, it was marred by charges of unprecedented vote buying.

The majority party in parliament gets to build the next government, and set the direction of national policy.

Even with the majority expanding its base by a few seats, there will likely still be the need, analysts said, to bring the opposition into a national unity government.

Lebanon remains a polarized nation that needs stability if for no other reason than to deal with its foreign debt of $50 billion (U.S.).

Official results from the election were not expected until later today, but late yesterday the winners were already celebrating by shooting in the air, setting off fireworks and driving around in honking motorcades.

"I present this victory to Lebanon," Prime Minister Fuad Saniora said on television after stations projected his pro-Western coalition was winning. "It is an exceptional day for democracy in Lebanon."

The leader of the largest bloc in the pro-Western March 14 coalition, Saad Hariri, said early today in a televised speech that he extends his hand to the losing side "to work together and seriously for the sake of Lebanon."

He urged supporters to celebrate without provoking opponents.

The outcome was also welcome news for Saudi Arabia and Egypt, which back Hariri's March 14 alliance – the date of a 2005 rally against Syria's military presence in Lebanon.

Bejjani, of the Lebanese-Canadian Coordinating Council, told the Star's Jasmeet Sidhu, the results were crucial for all Lebanese.

"Especially for the Lebanese who came to Canada, they are still very much attached to their country. We were glued to the news," he said.

Charbel Barakat, a 55-year-old Mississauga resident, agrees.

"I'm relieved at the results. The Lebanese proved again that they are not pro-terrorist, but pro-democracy," said the former Lebanese army officer.

"For the 12 million Lebanese living outside of Lebanon, it's important to know the fate of Lebanon and the future of Lebanon. We may have a different citizenship now, but we want Lebanon to stay a free and sovereign country," Barakat said. "We are very happy with the result."

With files from Associated Press

w

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Re: Obama racks up another foreign policy victory
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 02:04:46 PM »
Decent, now if he would only leave Iraq, Afghanistan and the other 130 or so countries we occupy.
I hate the State.

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 02:14:48 PM »
How in the world is that a victory for Obama?Did he campaign there?Because of one speach its now proof that its THE CHOSEN ONE who brought about that win?Wow,the next thing you will be telling me is that he saved 150,000 jobs so far.The myth of Obama continues.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 02:17:54 PM »
Victory.   ::)  His international butt kissing has accomplished nothing so far.  He has succeeded in making us look like a bunch of sissies.   

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 02:19:36 PM »
Victory.   ::)  His international butt kissing has accomplished nothing so far.  He has succeeded in making us look like a bunch of sissies.   

News Flash: when we don't bomb and kill other people, they like us more.
I hate the State.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 02:29:22 PM »
News Flash: when we don't bomb and kill other people, they like us more.

Who is us?  You're not even an American anymore.  In terms of "we Americans," I could care less if people like us more.  Big deal.  And of course some folks will like you more if you're a suck up. 

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 02:31:37 PM »
Decent, now if he would only leave Iraq, Afghanistan and the other 130 or so countries we occupy.

More retarded shit from our resident pseudo-scholar. 

Yes, let's leave every base we occupy. The world will be fine after. All peaceful. The Chinese and Russians won't fly into those power gaps left by us or anything.  ::)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 02:35:21 PM »
Who is us?  You're not even an American anymore.  In terms of "we Americans," I could care less if people like us more.  Big deal.  And of course some folks will like you more if you're a suck up. 

I am not an American anymore? How is that? Are you drunk?  You are a terrible Christian, self-righteous, indifferent to people's suffering and overly concerned about other people's sex lives. If people like us more that means there is less danger for us as well.
I hate the State.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 02:36:39 PM »
More retarded shit from our resident pseudo-scholar. 

Yes, let's leave every base we occupy. The world will be fine after. All peaceful. The Chinese and Russians won't fly into those power gaps left by us or anything.  ::)

Never have claimed that. As for this argument, I say let them, they will go broke too. No empire withstands the ravages of time and the costs required to maintain it.
I hate the State.

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 02:38:31 PM »
Never have claimed that. As for this argument, I say let them, they will go broke too. No empire withstands the ravages of time and the costs required to maintain it.

Sorry, the world doesn't work like that. No country is going to up and leave every base they occupy so another country can fill the power gap. Are you really that delusional? Don't answer. It's rhetorical. You are the same guy who lied about being an academic.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 02:42:11 PM »
I am not an American anymore? How is that? Are you drunk?  You are a terrible Christian, self-righteous, indifferent to people's suffering and overly concerned about other people's sex lives. If people like us more that means there is less danger for us as well.

If carrot, apple, pear juice makes you drunk, then yes.   :)  You don't live here, don't pay taxes, and hate America.  You even called yourself a "half" American.    

Obama's butt-kissing tours have not made us safer.  To the contrary, his repeated apologies and revisionist history makes us weaker IMO.    

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 02:46:12 PM »
Sorry, the world doesn't work like that. No country is going to up and leave every base they occupy so another country can fill the power gap. Are you really that delusional? Don't answer. It's rhetorical. You are the same guy who lied about being an academic.

Never lied. I always used it in the sense below:

1: a member of an institution of learning
2: a person who is academic in background, outlook, or methods
3plural : academic subjects <has no interest in academics>

I suppose if I do do a PhD I will finally get the approval of our resident 21 year old know it all...that might just make it worth it. ::)
I hate the State.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 02:49:35 PM »
If carrot, apple, pear juice makes you drunk, then yes.   :)  You don't live here, don't pay taxes, and hate America.  You even called yourself a "half" American.    

Obama's butt-kissing tours have not made us safer.  To the contrary, his repeated apologies and revisionist history makes us weaker IMO.    

Half-American was meant in metaphorical sense. I have a passport and vote. That suffices. Revisionist history. Funny. Are you referring to our 1953 coup that is a well known fact? What is revisionist about saying we did it? We did do it.
I hate the State.

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 02:52:32 PM »
Never lied. I always used it in the sense below:

1: a member of an institution of learning
2: a person who is academic in background, outlook, or methods
3plural : academic subjects <has no interest in academics>

I suppose if I do do a PhD I will finally get the approval of our resident 21 year old know it all...that might just make it worth it. ::)

You're an English teacher.  ;)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2009, 02:54:33 PM »
You're an English teacher.  ;)

Will I have your permission after I have published something and gotten my PhD to call myself an 'academic'?
I hate the State.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2009, 02:57:28 PM »
Half-American was meant in metaphorical sense. I have a passport and vote. That suffices. Revisionist history. Funny. Are you referring to our 1953 coup that is a well known fact? What is revisionist about saying we did it? We did do it.

I'm referring to the president saying Islam did much to contribute to the development of our country and calling us one of the largest Muslim nations in the world. 

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2009, 02:59:43 PM »
I'm referring to the president saying Islam did much to contribute to the development of our country and calling us one of the largest Muslim nations in the world. 

Oh. Yes, well politicians must lie and fib all the time, your hero, GW did that quite often.
I hate the State.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2009, 03:00:27 PM »

That's hilarious coming from you. You're one of the biggest suck ups on these boards.
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2009, 03:02:27 PM »
Oh. Yes, well politicians must lie and fib all the time, your hero, GW did that quite often.

No, they don't have to lie and fib all the time. 

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2009, 03:03:14 PM »

So why did Bush?
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2009, 03:03:31 PM »
That's hilarious coming from you. You're one of the biggest suck ups on these boards.

That's hilarious coming from the most disliked person on these boards.  :)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2009, 03:04:44 PM »

No, their lying and fibbing is certainly not deontic in nature but they do say that an honest politician is an oxymoron.
I hate the State.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2009, 03:06:37 PM »
That's hilarious coming from the most disliked person on these boards.  :)

That's pretty easy to become when you're not a suck up.  :D
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2009, 03:10:53 PM »
No, their lying and fibbing is certainly not deontic in nature but they do say that an honest politician is an oxymoron.

Not an oxymoron at all.  Some lie.  Many do not.  There are a lot of honest politicians. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2009, 03:12:00 PM »
That's pretty easy to become when you're not a suck up.  :D

Whatever you say ad hominem queen.  You're like the Wicked Witch of the East.  :)