Author Topic: Far right wing reportedly ready to boycott a newly federalized GM  (Read 4859 times)

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
Will the call to action gain traction - or backfire by sending import-oriented liberals to GM showrooms?

by Paul A. Eisenstein on Jun.04, 2009

We live, it’s often pointed out, in a polarized society, and few things, of late, have been more divisive than the debate over the federal bailout of General Motors and Chrysler.

When first proposed, late last year, surveys found a solid majority of Americans opposed to using billions of taxpayer dollars to prop up the two financially floundering manufacturers.  And though that position is beginning to soften, there are still “certain parts of the country that do not like the concept,” concedes GM Chief Financial Officer Ray Young.

In fact, among the hardcore right wing, that opposition appears to be increasing, for any number of reasons, not all of which is specifically due to the issues of saving the automakers.  Nonetheless, the bailout is triggering a backlash that has some arch-conservatives calling for an all-out boycott of the makers, and especially of “Government Motors,” as critics call it, which will emerge from bankruptcy with the Treasury Department holding more than 60% of the “new” GM’s stock.

Among those who have given voice to the idea of a boycott is the conservative host Hugh Hewitt, who made the bailout a pet peeve on his nationally-syndicated talk radio show, as well as in the blog he posts on the website, Townhall.com.

“In the two days since the nationalization of GM was announced, the callers and e-mailers to my program have been 10 to 1 against the Obamaization of the American car business,” contended a June 3rd  posting, by Hewitt, who added that, “This is a decision that must be reversed. GM must be denationalized.”

How?

“Individual Americans have a role to play,” argued Hewitt, echoing on-air comments. “They have to say no to GM products and services until such time as the denationalization occurs,” he wrote, concluding that, “every dollar spent with GM is a dollar spent against free enterprise.”

Hewitt is by no means alone.  The boycott theme is quickly spreading across the conservative talk radio world, as well as on websites like the one operated by the rightist Washington Times, where comments like this one from “HanoverMan,” suggested there were at least some potential buyers ready to listen.

“Once the UAW becomes part of the ownership group, I will never buy another GM again - ever,” wrote HanoverMan, in response to a poll by the paper asking readers whether they think the ailing automaker  “will ever regain its footing as a national icon?”  The results, by the way, showed 84% of respondents answering “no.”

Will the critics make a boycott stick, potentially strangling the new GM right from its inception, thereby hurting U.S. taxpayers, or is is this tale, as William Shakespeare wrote, “full of sound and fury, signifying nothing?

When asked if he fears the call for a boycott will cut into sales, GM’S CFO Young said, “I don’t think so,” adding that, “I believe the vast majority of Americans want us to succeed.  They want the hometown team to succeed.”

For his part, analyst Jim Hall, of 2953 Analytics, cautioned that, “You always worry when people are organized against you, but,” Hall stressed, “you’re talking about a small wing of a party that’s imploding.”

Indeed, there’ve been a number of efforts organized, over the years, against major corporations.  Only a few have had a measurable impact.  Others, such as the one built around claims that Proctor & Gamble’s logo signified devil worship, have made plenty of noise, but not much more than that.  At first, Ford Motor Co. appeared to buckle under when Rev. James Dobson, the controversial founder of Focus on the Family threatened a boycott because the automaker was advertising in various homosexual publications.  The company quickly reversed course and risked the wrath of ecumenicals when it renewed much of that advertising - but ultimately, the threat fizzled out.

And, added several observers, in today’s polarized environment, a call for a GM boycott by the right wing could actually win the automaker some sympathy in more liberal parts of the country - communities like San Francisco - which have typically had their own biases against domestic auto brands.

http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2009/06/right-wing-threatens-to-launch-boycott-of-%E2%80%9Cgovernment-motors%E2%80%9D/#more-7238

LOL

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Re: Far right wing reportedly ready to boycott a newly federalized GM
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 11:34:24 PM »
Can anyone tell me how this move to save GM differes from what Reagan did with Chrysler in the 80's?

Infact, did they not bring in Lee Ioccocca to rescue Chrysler, ...and did not the government mandate at the time that all federal fleet vehicles purchased be Chrysler? Now it's horribly Liberal? Obama is not saying government employees have to drive GM vehicles like Reagan did. The hard right may call for a boycott, but ya know what?...when oil rises to $100 a barrel and stays there, ...which it will by the beginning or early months of 2010, they'll be scrambling for those new hybrids and fuel efficient models GM will be churning out.
w

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 04:19:48 AM »
lol.... 

I think this one will backfire.  "Buy Japanese so Obama and our car industry can fail!"

Yeah, great line, Rush...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 05:08:08 AM »
lol.... 

I think this one will backfire.  "Buy Japanese so Obama and our car industry can fail!"

Yeah, great line, Rush...

No, I posted an article how the GM plan will cause the cars to be between $2,000 to $6,000 more for the same damn car under Obama's plan.

That is reason alone to boycott GM. 

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 06:13:22 AM »
The far right should boycott oxygen next.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 06:16:35 AM »
The far right should boycott oxygen next.

Funny you mention that, when cap & trade goes through and we are taxed even more to put on the lights and they try to tax air, many people will try that since ZERO wants to tax everyone into chains.  . 

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 06:24:04 AM »
Can anyone tell me how this move to save GM differes from what Reagan did with Chrysler in the 80's?

Infact, did they not bring in Lee Ioccocca to rescue Chrysler, ...and did not the government mandate at the time that all federal fleet vehicles purchased be Chrysler? Now it's horribly Liberal? Obama is not saying government employees have to drive GM vehicles like Reagan did. The hard right may call for a boycott, but ya know what?...when oil rises to $100 a barrel and stays there, ...which it will by the beginning or early months of 2010, they'll be scrambling for those new hybrids and fuel efficient models GM will be churning out.

This is far, far different than what happened to Chrysler in the 80's, you can't compare the two.

Chrysler in the 1980's recieved loan guarantee's from the government. In that the govt. backed the loans that the banks would give Chrysler. Iaccoca had to submit a viable and honest business plan, which he did, and thus the loans were given for a around 7 Billion dollars. Chrysler ended up succeeding, turning a profit and paying the loans back several years early. The govt. took NO stake in Chrysler and had no involvement with how the business was run, it simply gave the loan guarantee's. That's it. Chrysler never went bankrupt.

GM has recieved around 50 billion dollars (more to come) and will never pay the money back. The govt. actually took a 60% stake in the company and will no be directly involved. Obama actually ousted Rick Wagner, the govt. will now have the final word concerning were GM's new HQ is located and most likely will meddle in affairs and what to build.

The two situations are not comparable.

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 06:26:21 AM »
I would never buy a dam thing Obama pushed EVER!!!In fact,I wouldnt ever buy an American car again because I despidse the filthy UAW and ALL unions.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 06:30:32 AM »
I would never buy a dam thing Obama pushed EVER!!!In fact,I wouldnt ever buy an American car again because I despidse the filthy UAW and ALL unions.

Billy - did you see my thread about the increased costs of the SAME CARS by $2,000 to $6,000 per vehicle????

Why the heck would anyone pay so much more for the same damn vehicles???

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 07:02:04 AM »
Funny you mention that, when cap & trade goes through and we are taxed even more to put on the lights and they try to tax air, many people will try that since ZERO wants to tax everyone into chains.  . 

Thinning of the herd is vastly overdue.

GigantorX

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 07:05:17 AM »

Thinning of the herd is vastly overdue.

Do you have anything of substance to add?

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 07:27:04 AM »
Billy - did you see my thread about the increased costs of the SAME CARS by $2,000 to $6,000 per vehicle????

Why the heck would anyone pay so much more for the same damn vehicles???

Is that a surprise?Once the government gets involved in ANYTHING it costs more,works less and eventually is paid for by our taxes.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 07:59:18 AM »

Infact, did they not bring in Lee Ioccocca to rescue Chrysler, ...and did not the government mandate at the time that all federal fleet vehicles purchased be Chrysler? Now it's horribly Liberal? Obama is not saying government employees have to drive GM vehicles like Reagan did.

and now we're back to square one, again.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 08:01:19 AM »
The world needs Tupac again... :-\
I hate the State.

GigantorX

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 08:02:50 AM »
and now we're back to square one, again.

Failed to read my post?

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2009, 08:05:01 AM »

x2.  There is no reason to buy GM and Chrysler at this time.

If you need a heavy puller get a used Ford.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2009, 08:09:08 AM »

Which is why the world needs 2pac again....
I hate the State.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2009, 08:12:07 AM »

You watch, Obama supporters are going to purchase overpriced GM cars just to prop us ZERO.  These dolts are going to happily get ripped off by 6k just so they can say they helped Dear Leader.   

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2009, 08:16:09 AM »
Are they at least going to throw in the scotch-guard and underbody coating for that extra 6 grand?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2009, 08:22:45 AM »
Are they at least going to throw in the scotch-guard and underbody coating for that extra 6 grand?

Ha ha!  You wait to see the nonsense they produce.

Again, GM is now being run by 31 y/o kid who never changed a car tire and ZERO who never even changed his own oil once. 

You cant make this up. 

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2009, 08:26:21 AM »
Informative post GigantorX.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2009, 09:00:09 AM »
Do you have anything of substance to add?

Apparently more than you.  But keep trying, you might get lucky.

History has shown that the far right will boycott everything that lands in their narrow little minds.  And it has succeeded how many times?  Yeah, they really put Disney out of business.  Kraft Foods no longer exists anymore.  Target really bit the dust.  Crest toothpaste hasn't been seen since.  I must say... they really are successful with this boycott thing aren't they?

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2009, 09:15:59 AM »
Apparently more than you.  But keep trying, you might get lucky.

History has shown that the far right will boycott everything that lands in their narrow little minds.  And it has succeeded how many times?  Yeah, they really put Disney out of business.  Kraft Foods no longer exists anymore.  Target really bit the dust.  Crest toothpaste hasn't been seen since.  I must say... they really are successful with this boycott thing aren't they?

They dont need to boycott GM or Chrysler THEY ALREADY FAILED!!!!They are bankrupt!!!The UAW killed the buisiness!!!No one will buy ANYTHING from them because they make shit,built buy shit workers getting paid a fortune for turning a screw.

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2009, 09:45:28 AM »
I got a feeling MOST people are going to be boycotting GM for various reasons in the near future...

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2009, 09:58:47 AM »
They dont need to boycott GM or Chrysler THEY ALREADY FAILED!!!!

Shhhhhh...!  Keep that part quiet.  The geniuses that the far right consists of (*snicker*) will probably think their little boycott worked.

Would hate to point out that they are really wasting their time by beating a dead horse.