Author Topic: women pays for college with unemployment checks!!!!  (Read 2643 times)

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
Re: women pays for college with unemployment checks!!!!
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2009, 02:36:21 AM »
i completely agree with you but is it the place of the government to pay for such things or is it not enough to simply give access to these things but require them to pay for themselves? I dont think its the governments place to finance education I understand that certain deserving ppl do get grants thats not to say though that justifies the financing of anybodies education.

Not to put too fine of a point on it, yes it should,...through funding for state universities among other things.  Conservatives oppose education financing because they are angry with the people who were active politically in opposition to the Vietnam War.  People who were primarily educated at publicly financed institutes of higher education. 

(Education aside, the real reason the American populace turned against the Vietnam War was because it went on longer than four to five years.  The people who ran World War II understood this and had a goal of completing the war in under five years.)

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2009, 04:32:42 AM »
Good for her.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2009, 05:09:18 AM »
Not to put too fine of a point on it, yes it should,...through funding for state universities among other things.  Conservatives oppose education financing because they are angry with the people who were active politically in opposition to the Vietnam War.  People who were primarily educated at publicly financed institutes of higher education. 

(Education aside, the real reason the American populace turned against the Vietnam War was because it went on longer than four to five years.  The people who ran World War II understood this and had a goal of completing the war in under five years.)

The reason college is so expensive is because of the availability of so many easy loans in the first place and no incentive for colleges to keep costs down.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2009, 05:57:18 AM »

so your saying that conservatives are against financing higher education b/c it would lead to a loss in constituents?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2009, 05:58:26 AM »
so your saying that conservatives are against financing higher education b/c it would lead to a loss in constituents?

I am against funding college like we are doing because it makes students slaves to debt for many years.  Additionally, these kids have a mortgage to pay for with no house to show for it. 

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2009, 06:01:02 AM »
I am against funding college like we are doing because it makes students slaves to debt for many years.  Additionally, these kids have a mortgage to pay for with no house to show for it. 
aint that the damn truth

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2009, 06:18:34 AM »
aint that the damn truth

Once again, I have to question your purpose for starting this thread. These last few posts don't really jibe with the first posts you made in this thread. This woman's tuition was paid for with no loans, so the cost was obviously completely reasonable. Describing "unemployment benefits" as the taxpayer's dime is only accurate in the most serpentine way? What is it about this story that you find so outrageous that it justifies four exclamation points in the thread title?

Do you have a problem with unemployment benefits, period?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2009, 06:21:07 AM »
Once again, I have to question your purpose for starting this thread. These last few posts don't really jibe with the first posts you made in this thread. This woman's tuition was paid for with no loans, so the cost was obviously completely reasonable. Describing "unemployment benefits" as the taxpayer's dime is only accurate in the most serpentine way? What is it about this story that you find so outrageous that it justifies four exclamation points in the thread title?

The intended purpose is for the person to seek employment, not education, while on UE.  I'm saying its wrong, and for this woman is probably the right thing to do. 

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2009, 06:32:45 AM »

sorry doggity i didnt see the first time you asked the question.

I was under the impression that UE was paid for by the tax payer although like you said it could be deemed that it is it was not in the way that i believed it to be. As with most threads the the original topic is not usually the topic that ends up being discussed and we have moved past that as or now.

How long does UE last?
what are the conditions of UE? in Texas I believe that a person must be continually looking for employment, again not certain of that

The intended purpose is for the person to seek employment, not education, while on UE.  I'm saying its wrong, and for this woman is probably the right thing to do. 
this is more of what the thread has become doggity, you seem to do that alot come in and take a statement in the wrong context.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2009, 06:35:12 AM »
UE can be abused very easily by many people. 

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2009, 06:37:05 AM »

Not really. Unemployment beneficiaries are very much encouraged to pursue some form of education during their working hiatus. If you are on unemployment and you decide to take some type of vocational training, your benefits will be extended. I would assume that that was part of the reason this woman was able to receive more than six months worth of unemployment.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2009, 06:42:32 AM »
I posted the rules...u get 28 weeks or something and have to be actively looking for employment. What they allow u to do in practice, I'm sure, is different. Everybody does not have a right to higher education nor does the gov have a mandate to support it. The number of people who can't grad in 4 years is increasing. Tuition is increasing. U never see tuition at a major university roll back. The system needs to have a spotlight shown on it. Grants and loans keep getting approved and tuition keeps going up.
L

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2009, 06:48:40 AM »
I posted the rules...u get 28 weeks or something and have to be actively looking for employment. What they allow u to do in practice, I'm sure, is different. Everybody does not have a right to higher education nor does the gov have a mandate to support it. The number of people who can't grad in 4 years is increasing. Tuition is increasing. U never see tuition at a major university roll back. The system needs to have a spotlight shown on it. Grants and loans keep getting approved and tuition keeps going up.
thats what i thought,

so doggity you think a homeless person who attended college was out looking for job? thats more of my beef UE is meant to get you by while you look obtain another position elsewhere.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2009, 06:55:35 AM »
sorry doggity i didnt see the first time you asked the question.

I was under the impression that UE was paid for by the tax payer although like you said it could be deemed that it is it was not in the way that i believed it to be. As with most threads the the original topic is not usually the topic that ends up being discussed and we have moved past that as or now.

How long does UE last?
what are the conditions of UE? in Texas I believe that a person must be continually looking for employment, again not certain of that
this is more of what the thread has become doggity, you seem to do that alot come in and take a statement in the wrong context.

I don't think I've ever come in and taken a statement out of context. I certainly didn't do that here. While all threads evolve, very few evolve to the point where the original topic is suddenly rendered verboten... especially in under two pages. Especially if those two topics are under the same conversational umbrella.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2009, 06:56:21 AM »
thats what i thought,

so doggity you think a homeless person who attended college was out looking for job? thats more of my beef UE is meant to get you by while you look obtain another position elsewhere.
And like I said in my previous post, if you pursue some form of vocational training, your benefits are extended. Theoretically, a stronger educational background makes your more employable, so it is in both the recipient's and society's interest to encourage the unemployed to pursue some type of education/training.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2009, 07:01:00 AM »
And like I said in my previous post, if you pursue some form of vocational training, your benefits are extended. Theoretically, a stronger educational background makes your more employable, so it is in both the recipient's and society's interest to encourage the unemployed to pursue some type of education/training.
but whos respsonsibility is it to pay for that? the individual or society?

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2009, 07:15:14 AM »
but whos respsonsibility is it to pay for that? the individual or society?

I think the premise of the question is false. Just like that of the thread title. This is like me going up to a cop and telling him I pay his salary.

Unemployment benefits are part of an insurance system. If you pay for your health insurance, you are given a reimbursement for belonging to a gym because it promotes health. It's the same thing with UI.

nicky.smth

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Hugo Chavez looks like hugo chavez
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2009, 08:15:38 AM »
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2009/06/newark_woman_graduates_essex_c.html

"Toni moved out on the streets and used her unemployment checks to cover the cost of meals, and her tuition."

Im glad this women decided to go to college and better herself but doing it on the tax payers dime is horseshit...

Idiot post of  the year
I literally spit out my saffron seasoned eggs whites reading this stupid conservatives post ;

Who cares how the women spent the money? it's her choice how she chooses to allocate the funds of her unemployment proceeds..

Can't believe the stupidity of this conservative

sync pulse

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2009, 09:47:52 AM »

They are against it because they view that people with post high school education (antiwar activists) used their education to subvert the Vietnam War effort of the United States.  They view that it is better to have a populace educated just enough to function in their job, but not enough to be able to interfere with anything like Vietnam again...So college education is restricted from the general public...problem solved....

sync pulse

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2009, 09:52:13 AM »

Tuition at state universities go up becasue state legislatures don't not provide funding as a percentage comparable to what they did in the 1960' early 70's..

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2009, 09:53:17 AM »
They are against it because they view that people with post high school education (antiwar activists) used their education to subvert the Vietnam War effort of the United States.  They view that it is better to have a populace educated just enough to function in their job, but not enough to be able to interfere with anything like Vietnam again...So college education is restricted from the general public...problem solved....
so your saying that the government is against higher education? wars are not only started or conducted by conservatives sync.

JOCKTHEGLIDE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2009, 04:02:41 PM »
what difference does it make what she does with the money?

would you feel better if she used it to buy pizza and pay her cable bill?
crack and steroids be better at least she on the streets all buff,,,but cracked out

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2009, 05:59:21 PM »
Tuition at state universities go up becasue state legislatures don't not provide funding as a percentage comparable to what they did in the 1960' early 70's..

No. College tuition goes up because colleges find new and inventive ways every year to waste money.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2009, 07:26:39 PM »
That woman has shown that she is smarter than some of the conservatives posting on this thread.

BIG_STI

• Getbig IV
  • www.illpumpyouup.com/
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2009, 09:27:05 AM »
Idiot post of  the year
I literally spit out my saffron seasoned eggs whites reading this stupid conservatives post ;

Who cares how the women spent the money? it's her choice how she chooses to allocate the funds of her unemployment proceeds..

Can't believe the stupidity of this conservative

Agreed you can spend UI on what ever you want, this guy is a complete moron.