Author Topic: women pays for college with unemployment checks!!!!  (Read 2663 times)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
women pays for college with unemployment checks!!!!
« on: June 09, 2009, 01:48:39 PM »
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2009/06/newark_woman_graduates_essex_c.html

"Toni moved out on the streets and used her unemployment checks to cover the cost of meals, and her tuition."

Im glad this women decided to go to college and better herself but doing it on the tax payers dime is horseshit...

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
Re: women pays for college with unemployment checks!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 01:53:29 PM »
The problem with how she financed college is what?...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 02:01:05 PM »
The problem with how whe financed college is what?...

How about that the taxpayer is paying for this????

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 02:31:23 PM »
How about that the taxpayer is paying for this????

"Toni moved out on the streets and used her unemployment checks to cover the cost of meals, and her tuition."

Im glad this women decided to go to college and better herself but doing it on the tax payers dime is horseshit...

TWO IDIOTS

The employer, not the tax payer, funds unemployment. With the ridiculously expensive tuitions in the US I am wondering how she managed to do this on the paltry unemployment checks...and for  you tony...the labor department actually encourages those on UE to go back to school and learn a new sklll, trade or service..especially if they are in a field that is all but dissolved.
C

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 02:42:19 PM »
TWO IDIOTS

The employer, not the tax payer, funds unemployment. With the ridiculously expensive tuitions in the US I am wondering how she managed to do this on the paltry unemployment checks...and for  you tony...the labor department actually encourages those on UE to go back to school and learn a new sklll, trade or service..especially if they are in a field that is all but dissolved.
ahh as far as i know unemployment assistance is government run and government is funded by the tax payers.

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 03:15:05 PM »
Agree with Samson.... UE is not going to come close to actually covering anything except a moderate beer tab at college these days...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 03:17:59 PM »
Agree with Samson.... UE is not going to come close to actually covering anything except a moderate beer tab at college these days...

Community College is a good buy.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 03:21:57 PM »
Like it said she was homeless and i believe it was community college

Can someone comfirm whether UE is funded by the government or the employer?

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 03:31:20 PM »
ahh as far as i know unemployment assistance is government run and government is funded by the tax payers.

WRONG... Employer funded insurance

Like it said she was homeless and i believe it was community college

Can someone comfirm whether UE is funded by the government or the employer?

I just confirmed it for you
C

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 04:06:34 PM »
The federal-state unemployment insurance system helps people who have lost their jobs by temporarily replacing part of their wages.  Created in 1935, the system is a form of social insurance, with contributions being paid into the system on behalf of working people so that they have income support if they lose their jobs.  The system also helps sustain consumer demand during economic downturns, by providing a continuing stream of dollars for families to spend.

The basic unemployment insurance program is run by the states, although it is overseen by the U.S. Department of Labor.  States provide most of the funding, and pay for the actual benefits provided to workers; the federal government pays only for the administrative costs to the states of running the program.  Although subject to a few federal requirements, states are generally able to set their own eligibility criteria and benefit levels

The unemployment insurance system is funded by taxes paid by employers on behalf of their employees.  Most of these taxes are collected by state governments, but some are collected by the federal government.  While both the federal and state taxes are technically paid by employers (although in a few states, the employee pays part of the state tax), economists generally regard the tax as falling on employees.  The theory behind this is that the dollars employers use to pay the tax are part of overall compensation costs, and would otherwise have gone into employees’ paychecks.

The federal tax is set by the Federal Unemployment Tax Act (FUTA), and is equal to 0.8 percent of the first $7,000 paid annually to each employee.  This tax is regressive; since most workers earn more than $7,000 per year, most workers are effectively paying the same flat tax of $56 per year regardless of income.  The percentage of overall wages paid in FUTA taxes on behalf of high-wage workers is therefore much lower than for low-wage workers.

L

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 04:08:28 PM »
ITS A FUCKING TAX RETARD.........regardles s of who generates it. If our guy 3 has employees and he has to let them go...then his tax dollars are funding their unemployment.  Its a tax.....ur an idiot.
L

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 05:43:51 PM »
People get government grants to go to college all the time.

And even though UI is collected through employer taxes, the length of time you are eligible for the benefits depends on the length of time you've worked. This chick is like 50. I doubt Essex Community College was that expensive. The article also says she lost her job in 2007, so she was probably only in an 18-month program.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 08:46:20 PM »
The problem with how she financed college is what?...

Post high school education increases the earning power of the citizenry, thereby benefiting the country as a whole...
So again,... paraphrasing my previous statement, "The problem with the government funding college is what?"...

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 08:48:36 PM »
Post high school education increases the earning power of the citizenry, thereby benefiting the country as a whole...
So again,... paraphrasing my previous statement, "The problem with the government funding college is what?"...

perhaps the government should finance everybodies higher education goals?

like i said im glad she decided to better herself and get a higher education.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 08:53:24 PM »

what difference does it make what she does with the money?

would you feel better if she used it to buy pizza and pay her cable bill?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2009, 08:56:22 PM »

that's actually a great idea

sync pulse

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2009, 09:01:06 PM »

There are merits to your argument,... I admit there may be a funding problem,...this is tempered by the fact that more highly educated populace would certainly go a long way to making the United States better.  I am not talking about trade schools, I mean higher education,... History, English, Science, Art, Music, Rhetoric, as well as the technical education.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2009, 09:23:52 PM »
I know morons who bought beer and weed with their 6 months worth of unemployment.

worthless slugs :(

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2009, 09:28:38 PM »

There are merits to your argument,... I admit there may be a funding problem,...this is tempered by the fact that more highly educated populace would certainly go a long way to making the United States better.  I am not talking about trade schools, I mean higher education,... History, English, Science, Art, Music, Rhetoric, as well as the technical education.
i completely agree with you but is it the place of the government to pay for such things or is it not enough to simply give access to these things but require them to pay for themselves? I dont think its the governments place to finance education I understand that certain deserving ppl do get grants thats not to say though that justifies the financing of anybodies education.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2009, 09:32:27 PM »
In Canada, Emplyoment insurance formerly known as unemployment insurance, is paid by the insuree.
It's deducted off an employees paycheque. Those who are self employed can gain access to it, by remitting regular deductions from their weekly pay... or by paying insurance premiums into the system based upon a certain payrate.

Personally, I have no problem with someone who uses social assistance to better position themselves for success. It's better than using it for drugs.
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2009, 09:50:29 PM »

You mean like they do in Libya and Saudi Arabia?   :D
w

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2009, 09:56:13 PM »
i completely agree with you but is it the place of the government to pay for such things or is it not enough to simply give access to these things but require them to pay for themselves? I dont think its the governments place to finance education I understand that certain deserving ppl do get grants thats not to say though that justifies the financing of anybodies education.
With what are you claiming to take issue? The concept of unemployment insurance? The concept of higher education?

I can't make sense of your posts. She was going to get that money anyway, so is it how she spent it that you have a problem with?

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2009, 10:17:55 PM »
With what are you claiming to take issue? The concept of unemployment insurance? The concept of higher education?

I can't make sense of your posts. She was going to get that money anyway, so is it how she spent it that you have a problem with?

There is no sense to his posts. He just loves to argue for the sake of arguing.
w

IFBBwannaB

• Getbig V
  • BAN stick!
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2009, 10:44:43 PM »
You mean like they do in Libya and Saudi Arabia?   :D

If that means that you will have to wear a Buraka than yes! Finally not seeing your ugly face!

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2009, 10:48:29 PM »
good use of the money.  I don't think there are any stipulations on what your unemployment checks have to be spent on.