Author Topic: More Silliness in San Fran (and it ain't related to homosexuality.....for once).  (Read 512 times)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Now, people are being fined for throwing coffee grounds and orange peels IN THE TRASH.

I’ve heard of a lot of tree-hugging buffoonery. But, this takes the cake. And guess who came up with it.

Throwing orange peels, coffee grounds and grease-stained pizza boxes in the trash will be against the law in San Francisco, and could even lead to a fine.

The Board of Supervisors voted 9-2 Tuesday to approve Mayor Gavin Newsom's proposal for the most comprehensive mandatory composting and recycling law in the country. It's an aggressive push to cut greenhouse gas emissions and have the city sending nothing to landfills or incinerators by 2020.

"San Francisco has the best recycling and composting programs in the nation," Newsom said, praising the board's vote on a plan that some residents had decried as heavy-handed and impractical. "We can build on our success."
The ordinance is expected to take effect this fall.

The legislation calls for every residence and business in the city to have three separate color-coded bins for waste: blue for recycling, green for compost and black for trash.

Failing to properly sort your refuse could result in a fine after several warnings, but Newsom and other officials say fines will only be levied in the most egregious cases.

Fines for almost all residential customers and many small businesses - anyone who generates less than a cubic yard of refuse a week - are initially capped at $100. Businesses that don't have proper bins face escalating fines up to $500.

There is a moratorium on fines until at least July 2011 for tenants and owners of multifamily buildings or multitenant commercial properties to get people used to composting. Buildings where recycling carts won't fit can get a waiver….

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/06/10/MN09183NV8.DTL&tsp=1

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Now, people are being fined for throwing coffee grounds and orange peels IN THE TRASH.

I’ve heard of a lot of tree-hugging buffoonery. But, this takes the cake. And guess who came up with it.

Throwing orange peels, coffee grounds and grease-stained pizza boxes in the trash will be against the law in San Francisco, and could even lead to a fine.

The Board of Supervisors voted 9-2 Tuesday to approve Mayor Gavin Newsom's proposal for the most comprehensive mandatory composting and recycling law in the country. It's an aggressive push to cut greenhouse gas emissions and have the city sending nothing to landfills or incinerators by 2020.

"San Francisco has the best recycling and composting programs in the nation," Newsom said, praising the board's vote on a plan that some residents had decried as heavy-handed and impractical. "We can build on our success."
The ordinance is expected to take effect this fall.

The legislation calls for every residence and business in the city to have three separate color-coded bins for waste: blue for recycling, green for compost and black for trash.

Failing to properly sort your refuse could result in a fine after several warnings, but Newsom and other officials say fines will only be levied in the most egregious cases.

Fines for almost all residential customers and many small businesses - anyone who generates less than a cubic yard of refuse a week - are initially capped at $100. Businesses that don't have proper bins face escalating fines up to $500.

There is a moratorium on fines until at least July 2011 for tenants and owners of multifamily buildings or multitenant commercial properties to get people used to composting. Buildings where recycling carts won't fit can get a waiver….

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/06/10/MN09183NV8.DTL&tsp=1

And I thought this was about gay marriage...
I hate the State.

Hereford

• Getbig V
And I thought this was about gay marriage...

Are you dissappointed?

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
I hate the State.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
You gotta be kidding me.  And this guy wants to be governor of California? 

Hereford

• Getbig V
He has no support outside of the Gay Area and the 'lonely housewife' demographic. What flies in SF wouldn't get an audience in the rest of the state.

Of course, by running as a democrat in Cali a person is all but guarantied 49% of the vote...

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
we have this already in ny. Been that way for years. Yes you could get a fine for throwing glass/metals in the trash. Life goes on though.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
we have this already in ny. Been that way for years. Yes you could get a fine for throwing glass/metals in the trash. Life goes on though.

We've had a similar program here for years. Blue bins for recyclables, Grey bins for papers, and green bins for organic compostables. there is no fine for failing to sort properly, ...but they do limit you to no more than 2 bags per week. Anything more than 2 is left at the curb unpicked up. or... you can purchase additional tags for more than 2 bags. Every once in a while, they waive the 2 bag limit, ...like after Christmas, the start of spring etc... when people are expected to have more waste than usual. It has really been effective. People are very diligent about sorting in order to meet the 2 bag limit. Nobody likes to pay for additional tags. Unfortunately, ...it also leads to illegal dumping too in some areas, but for the most part, people are able to get it down to 2. It's kinda funny though whenever they lift the moratorium, ...people start cleaning out their garages, basements, ...just about every nook & cranny throughout their entire house etc.

Glad has just launched a new recycling blue bag that's been approved for use. I think people are going to prefer those over the bins, because you can fit alot more into it, ...and you can at least have a little privacy. It's nobody's business if you eat Dominoes or Pizza Hut pizza, or anything else that's of a recyclable nature. The grey bin, I don't mind as much, cause that's mainly filled with junk mail and newspapers etc, ...but the things you consume in your household is nobody's business, ...and there are those cretins who will look through your trash.
w