Author Topic: Empowering Women - One Woman At A Time  (Read 5223 times)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Empowering Women - One Woman At A Time
« on: June 10, 2009, 10:47:43 AM »
Maria Shriver and The Women's Conference, continuing their efforts to promote the economic empowerment of women, are partnering with Kiva to bring microlending to the U.S.

Please Join Maria's Team - http://www.kiva.org/team/maria

STARTING TODAY! WEDNESDAY, JUNE 10th

For the first time ever and for as little as $25, Americans can lend to women entrepreneurs right in their own backyard. WE Invest, a program of The Women's Conference, already has been investing in women entrepreneurs in California, linking them to business training, mentoring and a support network to give them the tools to start or expand their own businesses. Now WE Invest is partnering with Kiva, the world's first person-to-person microlending website, created to empower individuals to lend directly to unique entrepreneurs around the globe. This new venture will allow us to empower thousands of women across America to become more financially independent, showing that every loan - even $25 - can make a real difference and change a life. JOIN US in empowering women - one woman at a time! 

Check out: www.womensconference.org

and

Please join  Maria's Team
w

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
Re: Empowering Women - One Woman At A Time
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 10:56:08 AM »
P2P lending is a scam.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 11:22:08 AM »
P2P lending is a scam.

This one I trust. I don't think Maria Shriver would lend her name to this or form a lending team without first a thorough background check. Lord knows they have the resources to thoroughly vet any organization they involve themselves with.

Since opening the opportunity to Americans, I've noticed the loan amounts required have jumped significantly than those requested from overseas. I assume there might also be greater defaults as well, however, they've been very successful overseas.

The way I look at it, ...if I go to Vegas, I'm setting aside a certain amount to gamble with. If I lose it, ...I lose it.
I'll just take the same attitude here. I'll set aside a certain amount with which to fund micro loans. As they re-pay the funds, ...I simply turn around and re-loan it out to someone else, ...and I'll continue to do that up til there is a default. If I'm going to lose money, ...I'd rather do it empowering others and making a difference in their lives. Me blowing it at the blackjack table isn't going to make a hill of beans in Steve Wynn's life.... like he needs another pair of shoes.  :)
w

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 11:45:11 AM »
This one I trust. I don't think Maria Shriver would lend her name to this or form a lending team without first a thorough background check. Lord knows they have the resources to thoroughly vet any organization they involve themselves with.

Since opening the opportunity to Americans, I've noticed the loan amounts required have jumped significantly than those requested from overseas. I assume there might also be greater defaults as well, however, they've been very successful overseas.

The way I look at it, ...if I go to Vegas, I'm setting aside a certain amount to gamble with.
If I lose it, ...I lose it. I'll just take the same attitude here. I'll set aside a certain amount with which to fund micro loans. As they re-pay the funds, ...I simply turn around and re-loan it out to someone else, ...and I'll continue to do that up til there is a default. If I'm going to lose money, ...I'd rather do it empowering others and making a difference in their lives. Me blowing it at the blackjack table isn't going to make a hill of beans in Steve Wynn's life.... like he needs another pair of shoes.  :)

There are number of ways people can temporarily improve their credit scores and meet micro loan guidelines. You have to count on at least 25% default rate if not higher. Prosper.com http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0980082803?ie=UTF8&tag=getbigcom-20&link_code=as3&camp=211189&creative=373489&creativeASIN=0980082803 went belly up before the book finished getting published.

Also, if Maria and hubby knew a lot about financials and stuff California wouldn't be broke. :)

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 11:57:33 AM »
Judi, drkaje, may I have $25 from each of you please.   :D

And from everyone else on GetBig!!! 
;D

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 12:13:28 PM »
Judi, drkaje, may I have $25 from each of you please.   :D

And from everyone else on GetBig!!! 
;D
Nah  :D

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 12:37:54 PM »
 :'(

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 12:57:50 PM »
So far today:

866 loans have been made on Kiva.org to US entrepreneurs and $29,700 has been lent to support US businesses!
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 01:05:56 PM »
There are number of ways people can temporarily improve their credit scores and meet micro loan guidelines. You have to count on at least 25% default rate if not higher. Prosper.com http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0980082803?ie=UTF8&tag=getbigcom-20&link_code=as3&camp=211189&creative=373489&creativeASIN=0980082803 went belly up before the book finished getting published.

Also, if Maria and hubby knew a lot about financials and stuff California wouldn't be broke. :)

Jake,

I hate to say this, ...but you're a real cynical SOB sometimes.  ;)

(the little winky face is to soften the blow, ...but I mean every word of it)

Seriously... because Prosper.com went belly up, that means this will too?
By your reasoning... McDonald's should be filing for Chapter 11 right about now, ...'cause XYZ fast food failed.  ::)

Are we to take it that you will soon be cruising men's bathrooms too, ...like George Michael & Senator Craig?  :P
w

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 01:25:52 PM »
Jake,

I hate to say this, ...but you're a real cynical & ignorant SOB sometimes.  ;)

(the little winky face is to soften the blow, ...but I mean every word of it)

Seriously... because Prosper.com went belly up, that means this will too?
By your reasoning... McDonald's should be filing for Chapter 11 right about now, ...'cause XYZ fast food failed.  ::)

Are we to take it that you will soon be cruising men's bathrooms too, ...like George Michael & Senator Craig?  :P

Perhaps you fail to understand the fatal flaw of P2P lending. Yes, some people do make money but the default rate tends to make it about as profitable as a really good investment but with more risk. In a year when you're on Maria's message board and people are complaining about defaults and if the scheme was properly bonded..... remember today, LOL! Some people are still getting repaid on Prosper.com, do a little investigating and see how they feel.

You're pretending to be naive by essentially arguing that Prosper's failure was a management issue or that people who have stiffed everyone else and have crap credit won't repeat past mistakes with new lenders. There's nothing wrong with taking advantage of economically distressed people, P2P lending is just a very risky way of doing it. :)

People can pretty up their credit reports through disputes, becoming authorized users on better accounts, changing addresses, split files, pay for deletes, get goodwill, bitch on planet feedback, shift debt to spouses, apply for hidden tradelines, balance transfers, IIBs in bankruptcys, etc... Most of these things wouldn't even show up on a decent manual review.

Don't let greed blind you. :)

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2009, 05:20:23 PM »
women have it too easy

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 07:32:07 AM »
You are seriously too jaded to have a decent conversation with.
You need to go read through the info    :(

Perhaps you fail to understand the fatal flaw of P2P lending. Yes, some people do make money but the default rate tends to make it about as profitable as a really good investment but with more risk. In a year when you're on Maria's message board and people are complaining about defaults and if the scheme was properly bonded..... remember today, LOL! Some people are still getting repaid on Prosper.com, do a little investigating and see how they feel.

Who is talking about making money? I'm talking about my choosing to lend it... INTEREST FREE!
I am very well aware of the risks, ...I'm not an idiot. Anytime you lend money there's the risk of it not being repaid.
I recognize that. I'm also not about to lend any more than I'm either willing to, or can afford to lose.

You're pretending to be naive by essentially arguing that Prosper's failure was a management issue or that people who have stiffed everyone else and have crap credit won't repeat past mistakes with new lenders. There's nothing wrong with taking advantage of economically distressed people, P2P lending is just a very risky way of doing it. :)

You're the only one pretending here, ...and you're pretending to have a clue. I've never cast any aspersions on prosper.com's mgmt team, or presented any theories about the company. All I've said is just because they went out of business, is not a sufficient reason for me to steer away from Kiva. I know nothing about prosper.com, nor do I care to. They have nothing to do with me, and I have nothing to do with them. Furthermore, I'm not looking to take advantage of economically distressed people, ...I'm looking to help them. Providing someone with an interest free loan is hardly my definition of taking advantage of people. You are seriously warped.  >:(

People can pretty up their credit reports through disputes, becoming authorized users on better accounts, changing addresses, split files, pay for deletes, get goodwill, bitch on planet feedback, shift debt to spouses, apply for hidden tradelines, balance transfers, IIBs in bankruptcys, etc... Most of these things wouldn't even show up on a decent manual review.

Don't let greed blind you. :)

I'm well aware of the various tactics people can, will, and do use to hide negative credit history. I don't care.
I'd be pretty surprised to find an entrepreneur who hadn't at some point experienced a cash flow situation.

"Don't let greed blind me?" You're seriously bent!!! The only thing I stand to gain from providing an interest free loan to someone, is the joy of knowing I've somehow helped to make a person's life a little better, or somehow managed to make a difference in someone's life. Don't let greed blind me?   ::)  I'm the one who is bearing all the risks.

Sheesh, I'd hate to meet the person who did a number on you. They must have been some piece of work!  :-\
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2009, 07:33:33 AM »
women have it too easy

BEING A PROCTOLOGIST IS NOT AN EASY THING!!!   >:(
w

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2009, 09:12:54 AM »
You are seriously too messed up and jaded to have a decent conversation with.
You need to go read through the info or STFU. Seriously. Your ignorance is boring me beyond belief.   :(

Who is talking about making money? I'm talking about my choosing to lend it... INTEREST FREE!
I am very well aware of the risks, ...I'm not an idiot. Anytime you lend money there's the risk of it not being repaid.
I recognize that. I'm also not about to lend any more than I'm either willing to, or can afford to lose.

You're the only one pretending here, ...and you're pretending to have a clue. I've never cast any aspersions on prosper.com's mgmt team, or presented any theories about the company. All I've said is just because they went out of business, is not a sufficient reason for me to steer away from Kiva. I know nothing about prosper.com, nor do I care to. They have nothing to do with me, and I have nothing to do with them. Furthermore, I'm not looking to take advantage of economically distressed people, ...I'm looking to help them. Providing someone with an interest free loan is hardly my definition of taking advantage of people. You are seriously warped.  >:(

I'm well aware of the various tactics people can, will, and do use to hide negative credit history. I don't care.
I'd be pretty surprised to find an entrepreneur who hadn't at some point experienced a cash flow situation.

"Don't let greed blind me?" You're seriously bent!!! The only thing I stand to gain from providing an interest free loan to someone, is the joy of knowing I've somehow helped to make a person's life a little better, or somehow managed to make a difference in someone's life. Don't let greed blind me?   ::)  I'm the one who is bearing all the risks.

Sheesh, I'd hate to meet the person who did a number on you. They must have been some piece of work!  :-\

Ego is worse than greed, Judi. :)

Wanna do some real good? Volunteer one day/month at a homeless shelter, read to children, mentor wayward girls, etc... It's people, not money, that ultimately makes change happen. :P

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2009, 09:16:13 AM »
Ego is worse than greed, Judi. :)

Wanna do some real good? Volunteer one day/month at a homeless shelter, read to children, mentor wayward girls, etc... It's people, not money, that ultimately makes change happen. :P

What makes you think I don't do all of those things and more?
 :)
w

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2009, 09:18:55 AM »
What makes you think I don't do all of those things and more?
  :)

Do you kiss children with that filthy mouth? ;D

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2009, 06:46:44 PM »
Do you kiss children with that filthy mouth? ;D

No, I kiss children with my sweet, gentle, sugary lips.
I reserve my filthy mouth for spitting   ;)
w

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2009, 06:54:18 PM »
No, I kiss children with my sweet, gentle, sugary lips.
I reserve my filthy mouth for spitting on pricks like you.  ;)

Potty mouth!! :P

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2009, 06:31:07 AM »
Here are a few Kiva Fast Facts... just for you Jakey  :-*

Kiva Fast Facts
49 months old
$100,667,535 in micro loans raised

98% repayment rate
246,720 entrepreneurs funded
586,995 Kiva users
172 countries represented

So you can stick that in your cynical pipe and smoke it!  :P

w

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2009, 07:01:16 AM »
Here are a few Kiva Fast Facts... just for you Jakey  :-*

Kiva Fast Facts
49 months old
$100,667,535 in micro loans raised

98% repayment rate
246,720 entrepreneurs funded
586,995 Kiva users
172 countries represented

So you can stick that in your cynical pipe and smoke it!  :P

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." :)

I'm gonna work under the assumption that Canadian math and english are very similar to other places. It says $100,667,535 "raised", not funded. Even if it were all loaned out that only comes to about $408 per entrepreneur. Finding 586,995 suckers to donate an average of $171  is admirable but there's no way the repayment rate on active loans is 98%. Even if it were... loaning someone basically a car payment isn't really funding entrepreneurship in women. True, it's a great way for people to get all warm and fuzzy because they feel like they're "doing something to empower women" or "I'm making a difference" but it's silly to be that lame.

Additionally, "repayment rate" is very careful language. Is that active loans, meaning someone is making on time, monthly repayments. It could just as easily include loans that are technically active but within a grace period. :)

Time will tell but here's my guess: they're collecting interest on interest-free loans funded by saps. Some other entity is funding the loans at a lower interest rate than Kiva is getting in a bank. Since the loans are essentially secured the lender no one has any risk except the people who would still feel good about having given $100 anyways.

Odd how their administrative costs weren't mentioned. Maybe they're all volunteers. :)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2009, 07:16:46 AM »
This thread is going to either need a little editing or be left as is and moved to General.

Vote!
R

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2009, 08:02:25 AM »
This thread is going to either need a little editing or be left as is and moved to General.

Vote!

Judi really doesn't mean any offense with the swearing, Stella.

She's just inarticulate at times. :P

If I have a vote.. it would be to remove her profanity and leave the thread here. If it goes to General or Politics we'd have too many people who just enjoy bashing her and zero discussion on the scam people call P2P lending.

There's really no place for profanity here, we're all grownups and educated enough to get our points across without swearing at each other.

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2009, 05:03:41 PM »
 :P

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2009, 09:14:23 PM »

Vote!

Editing 5 months later?! Glad to see you're on top of things Stella. lol  ::)
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2009, 09:18:14 PM »
Judi really doesn't mean any offense with the swearing, Stella.

She's just inarticulate at times. :P

If I have a vote.. it would be to remove her profanity and leave the thread here. If it goes to General or Politics we'd have too many people who just enjoy bashing her and zero discussion on the scam people call P2P lending.

There's really no place for profanity here, we're all grownups and educated enough to get our points across without swearing at each other.

ROTFLMAO... you have got to be one of the most exasperating passive aggressive SOBs I've ever met.
you just loooooove pushing buttons don't ya?! That's ok. I still loves ya... just wanna wring your neck sometimes.

btw - did you catch that stat earlier... 98% repayment rate!
w