Author Topic: started a new diet! got some ?s  (Read 3621 times)

wannabebig5

• Getbig II
  • 2006 mr.olympia
started a new diet! got some ?s
« on: June 11, 2009, 11:27:18 PM »
Alright well this is what my diet looks like right now and I wanted some opinions on what you guys think.  I am 215 pounds at 5'10'' and I want to be around 185.  I know this is hard to read but copying it from notepad sucks.  Anyway the diet is high in fat(around 100g) moderate protein(around 200g) and pretty low carbs(around 125g).  Will this get me to my goal and is it healthy enough for me?  For the record when it says oil, thats evoo and I am doing 30 minutes of walking for cardio 5 times per week after my workout.  Only supps are vitamins and no explode(just for some energy before the gym).  Thanks for any help/advice you can give me!

08jun                           protein            fat            carbs   calories

meal 1- 4egg whites, 2 whole eggs with cheese and apple         36            14            20   350   
meal 2- 2 chicken breasts and banana               40            18            40   482
meal 3- protein shake                     40            3            6   211
meal 4- hamburger and orange                  50            16            10   384
meal 5- 2 servings cottage cheese and handful of almonds      30            10            30   330
meal 6- 2 servings cottage cheese and banana            26            3            25   231
totals                           222-   884cal         64-   577cal         131-524cal  1988cal

09jun

meal 1- 4 egg whites, 2 whole eggs and apple            36            17            15   357
meal 2- hamburger and banana                  50            16            11   397
meal 3- 2 chicken breasts and orange               40            18            56   546
meal 4- protein shake                     40            3            6   211
meal 5- 2 servings cottage cheese and banana            26            3            25   231
meal 6- handful almonds                     6            10            8   144   
totals                           198-   792cal         67-   603cal         121-484cal  1879cal

10jun

meal 1- 4 egg whites, 2 whole eggs and apple            36            17            8   329
meal 2- apple with peanut butter               8            16            25   276
meal 3- 2 chicken breasts and asparagus               40            32            40   608
meal 4- hamburger quesadilla                  50            25            50   620
meal 5- cottage cheese and almonds               30            16            10   304
totals                           164-   656 cal         106-   954 cal         133-532cal  2142cal

11jun

meal 1- 4 egg whites, 2 whole eggs w/ cheese and banana         36            17            15   357
meal 2- 2 chicken breasts, asparagus, and orange         40            18            50   522
meal 3- hamburger w/oil, banana, and turkey pepperoni         50            34            10   546
meal 4- protein shake                     40            3            6   211
meal 5- cottage cheese, almonds, banana, and pepperoni         35            25            20   445
meal 6- pepperoni and cheese                  22            12            0
totals                           223-   892cal         109-   981cal         101-404cal  2277cal

wannabebig5

• Getbig II
  • 2006 mr.olympia
Re: started a new diet! got some ?s
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 11:32:52 PM »
Well it came out even worse than I thought but you can get the jist of it just by looking at the totals.  Thanks and sorry again for the ugly post, I have a new laptop and dont have MS Word yet lol!

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 04:33:38 AM »
You need more veggies and unsaturated fatty acids.

wannabebig5

• Getbig II
  • 2006 mr.olympia
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 09:13:18 AM »
Alright donkey kong i think you are right about the veggies but dont I get enough efas from the almonds and evoo?  If not I have some flaxseed pills I guess I could take.  My real question I want to know is about my ratio of fat, carbs, and protein.  Are they sufficient or do I need to change it?

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 09:49:42 AM »
drop the apple and orange.  By some vitamin C instead, save yourself the unecessary sugar.  Replace that with Broccoli and asparagus.  Also take in at least 10 grams of fish oils a day spread out.

wannabebig5

• Getbig II
  • 2006 mr.olympia
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 10:04:25 AM »
thanks man o steel, I probably get enough Vitamin C from my multi anyway but i just thought some fruits were good.  I will substitute them for more veggies though, but that will put me awefully low on carbs.  Do you think I should have a carb up day or anything like the anabolic diet or something? Anyway thanks for the advice!

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 05:11:39 AM »
thanks man o steel, I probably get enough Vitamin C from my multi anyway but i just thought some fruits were good.  I will substitute them for more veggies though, but that will put me awefully low on carbs.  Do you think I should have a carb up day or anything like the anabolic diet or something? Anyway thanks for the advice!

Drop the multi and up the veggies, that is way better! You don't need a multivitamin.

A carb up day is a good idea.

wannabebig5

• Getbig II
  • 2006 mr.olympia
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 08:29:13 AM »
Thanks for the advice DK, i did a carb up yesterday with about 360g of carbs.  I upped my veggies a lot and got rid of the fruits so my carbs are way down.  I will give this a try for a while and see what happens. 

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 09:13:02 AM »
Thanks for the advice DK, i did a carb up yesterday with about 360g of carbs.  I upped my veggies a lot and got rid of the fruits so my carbs are way down.  I will give this a try for a while and see what happens. 

You should aim for MUCH more carbs, only simple carbs on a refeed day. at least DOUBLE the calories you normally get.

This will make your body turn into a nuclear reactor.  ;D ;D

wannabebig5

• Getbig II
  • 2006 mr.olympia
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009, 09:29:03 AM »
damn i was thinking complex carbs would be better.  I had mine of mostly rice and pasta.  So i should shoot for over 600 carbs on carb up day huh?  should i have another carb day then to kinda catch up or just wait until next saturday when im due for another carb day?

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2009, 09:48:14 AM »
damn i was thinking complex carbs would be better.  I had mine of mostly rice and pasta.  So i should shoot for over 600 carbs on carb up day huh?  should i have another carb day then to kinda catch up or just wait until next saturday when im due for another carb day?

right. simple carbs do the trick best, but you can add complex carbs as well. Beware that you should only have moderate protein that day and try to avoid fat because of the high insuline levels.

As for the frequence, it depends on how fat you are. If you are rather fat, once a week is enough.

Also, fuck the walking cardio and do HIIT cardio, that is MUCH MUCH MUCH better for fatloss.

wannabebig5

• Getbig II
  • 2006 mr.olympia
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2009, 02:47:22 PM »
sounds good DK i will give the simple carb, low protein, low fat once a week.  I would do it more but I'm trying to lose about 30+ pounds so i think once a week will be enough.  I do HIIT cardio occasionally but I usually do my cardio post workout because of time and doing HIIT cardio after a workout would probably make me pass the fuck out lol!  When I have time to do cardio in the morning though I like HIIT a lot.

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 12:11:07 AM »
sounds good DK i will give the simple carb, low protein, low fat once a week.  I would do it more but I'm trying to lose about 30+ pounds so i think once a week will be enough.  I do HIIT cardio occasionally but I usually do my cardio post workout because of time and doing HIIT cardio after a workout would probably make me pass the fuck out lol!  When I have time to do cardio in the morning though I like HIIT a lot.

ok, if that works good for you it's fine!

wannabebig5

• Getbig II
  • 2006 mr.olympia
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2009, 07:36:42 PM »
Hey DK thanks for all of your help on the diet but I just want to clear something up real quick before I go and ruin the diet.  Tomorrow is my high carb day and im wondering you said simple carbs, yet the anabolic diet names carbs such as rice, pasta etc.  When you were saying simple carbs did you mean like sugar ie skittles, soda, and other stuff like that or did you mean starchy stuff like pasta and whatnot?  Thanks for your help once again!

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2009, 01:45:41 AM »
Hey DK thanks for all of your help on the diet but I just want to clear something up real quick before I go and ruin the diet.  Tomorrow is my high carb day and im wondering you said simple carbs, yet the anabolic diet names carbs such as rice, pasta etc.  When you were saying simple carbs did you mean like sugar ie skittles, soda, and other stuff like that or did you mean starchy stuff like pasta and whatnot?  Thanks for your help once again!

doesn't really matter, but i always did a mix on both. preferably, you would drink high glucose drinks while eating pasta or rice.  ;D ;D

you can't really ruin anyhting, just try it and do what suits you better.

wannabebig5

• Getbig II
  • 2006 mr.olympia
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2009, 12:01:19 PM »
Thanks DK, i am in the NAVY so when im underway or anytime on the ship its hard to get the exact foods i need so sometimes i have to suck it up and eat some shit instead of eating nothing at all!  I really appreciate the help cause as i said being in the NAVY i need all the options i can get.

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2009, 04:17:48 AM »
Thanks DK, i am in the NAVY so when im underway or anytime on the ship its hard to get the exact foods i need so sometimes i have to suck it up and eat some shit instead of eating nothing at all!  I really appreciate the help cause as i said being in the NAVY i need all the options i can get.

The one biggest rule in diets is : Relax.  ;D ;D

Especially if you're in the Navy, i assume you have quite a lot of physical stress on your body. Try to play around with your diet to learn what suits you best. If your performance lacks on low carbs, add a little and stretch out the carb up days more.

Or you simply do more cardio. The only important thing is to train constantly, without making too many breaks.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2009, 07:12:31 AM »
Cycle your carbs.  Do 1 or 2 high days a week. Preferably on days you are going to hit legs and chest.  You will be swole like a MF'er.  Then cycle low the rest of the week.

wannabebig5

• Getbig II
  • 2006 mr.olympia
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2009, 11:31:19 AM »
Alright DK and MOS, i pretty much see what you guys are saying by playing with the days a little bit.  I was trying to make things perfect and every meal perfect by writing down everything and breaking them down by the carbs, fat, and protein.  i basically know what to eat and everything now so i will relax and take things slowly.  I am pretty sure its working so far since i have went from 222 down to 213 already which i know is mostly water since its only been about 2 1/2 weeks but i feel pretty good as far as energy and stregth.  I am not really tired in fact it seems as though i dont sleep as much.  Anyway thanks for the replies guys and ill stick it out and let you guys know how it goes.  Maybe ill even post some pics when im done although ive seen the way people get blasted on pics around this forum lol!  thats cool though i dont take shit like that too seriously anyway.

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2009, 11:42:51 AM »
since the diet is low carb, hi protein, min fat...

don't you have to "reload" on fat too, on the high days?
tank u jesus

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2009, 01:20:41 PM »
since the diet is low carb, hi protein, min fat...

don't you have to "reload" on fat too, on the high days?

The fat intake should actually be lower to moderate on the carb days.  on the carb days you have one simple goal and that is to carb load.  No worries about protein intake and keep your fats at moderate.  Eat lots of oatmeal, spaghetti and marinara sauce, totillas, rice , potatoes, even have pancakes and use maple syrup, not that corn syrup shit.  And supplement your fats, take two 5 gram servings of fish oil, eat a handfull of nuts and get the rest of your fats from a steak.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2009, 01:27:38 PM »
Alright DK and MOS, i pretty much see what you guys are saying by playing with the days a little bit.  I was trying to make things perfect and every meal perfect by writing down everything and breaking them down by the carbs, fat, and protein.  i basically know what to eat and everything now so i will relax and take things slowly.  I am pretty sure its working so far since i have went from 222 down to 213 already which i know is mostly water since its only been about 2 1/2 weeks but i feel pretty good as far as energy and stregth.  I am not really tired in fact it seems as though i dont sleep as much.  Anyway thanks for the replies guys and ill stick it out and let you guys know how it goes.  Maybe ill even post some pics when im done although ive seen the way people get blasted on pics around this forum lol!  thats cool though i dont take shit like that too seriously anyway.

The reality of a diet hasn't kicked in yet for you.  The first few weeks you're stoked, ready to roll, enthused, you are finding new energy, pissing like a horse and think it's all easy, then you use up all of your energy stores and the BAM!  You're brain fights back and starts fucking with you. You start to crave foods, you feel lousy , you're hungry, your brain is telling you to eat but your stomach is full.  These are the times you have to grind to it.  But here's the main point.

Your body burns about 90% of your calories in just living, the rest needs to be burned off by cardio exercise.  Sounds easy right?  Say you weigh 200 pounds and are on a 2000 calorie a day diet and are losing weight then hit the wall at 175.  What happened is that your body is now using less calories to live and you are not burning off the excess so there's one of two things to do.
1. Do more cardio or more intense cardio which might sacrifice muscle mass
2. Start to lower your calorie intake, lower from 2000 to 1800, then see how it goes.  The more weight you lose the more you have to continue to lower your calories.

The number one mistake ALL new dieters make is the failure to adjust their diets as they go along, this will happen multiple times.  Your body loves the status quo and fucking hates changes.  So once your body is in a calorie using groove it will use just what it needs so you have to force it to use your fat and not the food you take in.

Get over the hump and don't be afraid to have a cheat meal, not a cheat day or a cheat binge but a meal once in a while.  Have a bowl of all natural ice cream, or a couple slices of pizza to keep yourself sane.  Don't eat a dozen donuts and try to do extra cardio to burn it off.

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2009, 12:05:54 AM »
The reality of a diet hasn't kicked in yet for you.  The first few weeks you're stoked, ready to roll, enthused, you are finding new energy, pissing like a horse and think it's all easy, then you use up all of your energy stores and the BAM!  You're brain fights back and starts fucking with you. You start to crave foods, you feel lousy , you're hungry, your brain is telling you to eat but your stomach is full.  These are the times you have to grind to it.  But here's the main point.

Your body burns about 90% of your calories in just living, the rest needs to be burned off by cardio exercise.  Sounds easy right?  Say you weigh 200 pounds and are on a 2000 calorie a day diet and are losing weight then hit the wall at 175.  What happened is that your body is now using less calories to live and you are not burning off the excess so there's one of two things to do.
1. Do more cardio or more intense cardio which might sacrifice muscle mass
2. Start to lower your calorie intake, lower from 2000 to 1800, then see how it goes.  The more weight you lose the more you have to continue to lower your calories.

The number one mistake ALL new dieters make is the failure to adjust their diets as they go along, this will happen multiple times.  Your body loves the status quo and fucking hates changes.  So once your body is in a calorie using groove it will use just what it needs so you have to force it to use your fat and not the food you take in.

Get over the hump and don't be afraid to have a cheat meal, not a cheat day or a cheat binge but a meal once in a while.  Have a bowl of all natural ice cream, or a couple slices of pizza to keep yourself sane.  Don't eat a dozen donuts and try to do extra cardio to burn it off.

good post.

Also, when you diet don't be afraid to stay without food for more than 3 hours or so. Most people get crazy when they don't eat every 3 hours because they fear they will lose muscle but they fail to see that they are without food every night for 7-10 hours.

wannabebig5

• Getbig II
  • 2006 mr.olympia
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2009, 12:36:29 AM »
Damn guys this info is awesome and MOS i planned on changing my diet and my cardio routine around every 4 weeks to throw my body off and really challenge myself mentally.  If i dont challenge myself i wont be able to stick with it but the harder i make it the more motivation i get.  So every 4 weeks i will up up my protein, lower the fat slightly just enough to change the caloric intake to around 200 less per 4 weeks.  After the first 4 weeks i am going to take a fat burner, possible ECA or something just to help with energy and then after 8 weeks i plan on doing 2 cardio sessions a day for 5 days a week.  I think this will test my mental state and physical so i am actually excited about being miserable lol!  Keep the info coming though this stuff is awesome and helps me quite a bit! 

As far as the supplement fats im using, i use universal's animal omega once per day and use EVOO about twice a day.  Is this enough EFA's or should i bump up the supp to twice a day?  i usually take in about 200-230g of protein a day but i think after the first 4 weeks i will bump it to 250-280.  i am scared to lose muscle but really i am more worried about getting the fat gone.  Once again thanks for the posts they are extremely informative and i will use all of your guys' advice!

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2009, 07:06:04 AM »
Damn guys this info is awesome and MOS i planned on changing my diet and my cardio routine around every 4 weeks to throw my body off and really challenge myself mentally.  If i dont challenge myself i wont be able to stick with it but the harder i make it the more motivation i get.  So every 4 weeks i will up up my protein, lower the fat slightly just enough to change the caloric intake to around 200 less per 4 weeks.  After the first 4 weeks i am going to take a fat burner, possible ECA or something just to help with energy and then after 8 weeks i plan on doing 2 cardio sessions a day for 5 days a week.  I think this will test my mental state and physical so i am actually excited about being miserable lol!  Keep the info coming though this stuff is awesome and helps me quite a bit! 

As far as the supplement fats im using, i use universal's animal omega once per day and use EVOO about twice a day.  Is this enough EFA's or should i bump up the supp to twice a day?  i usually take in about 200-230g of protein a day but i think after the first 4 weeks i will bump it to 250-280.  i am scared to lose muscle but really i am more worried about getting the fat gone.  Once again thanks for the posts they are extremely informative and i will use all of your guys' advice!
Be cautious with ECA.  When you are on it you will find your hunger pains are gone, you will have energy like a madman, your heart will be beating like crazy and you might get irritable, both from the stimulant and the effects of the diet in general.  The biggest part to worry about is when you stop taking it.  You will feel tired for a few days, stay away from all stimulants, you will get a headache which is from the lack of caffeine since you were using so much for a while and your hunger will be insane, you'll want to eat everything, so be cautions, maybe take some hoodia near the end to keep your hunger at bay.
I find that my best fat loss is not while on ECA but afterwards, your metabolism gets into high gear and stays that way for a while.

As for not losing muscle mass, well it's the nature of the beast, to be honest the pros that don't lose muscle supplement with roids to help keep their mass.  So unless you are in the dark side , don't get into it.  Just roll with it.

As for fats, go to Costco and buy the Kirkland Fish Oil caps. The best deal on the market and some of the highest DHA content per serving.  You get 400 1 gram pills for about $8-9.  Not a bad deal.  I'm not a fan of vegetable fat so I really don't care much about EVOO.  CLA is good but expensive,  sesamin is supposed to be good but is also too expensive, paynig $30 for 100 oil pills is stupid.  Eat good beef and take fish oils and you'll get all the fat you'll need.  Munch on some macadamias ( they are super cheap at walmart ) or almonds (buy them raw, unroasted  and keep them in your fridge) roasting nuts makes the oils go rancid and you lose the positive effects of it.