Author Topic: Old School - Front Squats  (Read 2845 times)

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
Re: Old School - Front Squats
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2009, 12:07:32 PM »
Started doing them right after regular squats about a month ago.  I definitely noticed an improvement in my quad sweep and quad definition.
Right On they have a more of a direct effect on the quads.

Rich2

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2009, 01:20:08 PM »
Cool only the cleaning works alot of other bodyparts as well very basic overall muscle builder. 8)

Yes this is true, but I'd rather clean as a specific movement, not as an addition something else.  I'll usually do Clean & Presses on shoulder day, which I think is better as an overall musclebuilder.  When you clean the bar in a front squat, you're probably sacrificing a rep or two or actual squats by the effort of cleaning it first.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2009, 01:24:19 PM »
Yes this is true, but I'd rather clean as a specific movement, not as an addition something else.  I'll usually do Clean & Presses on shoulder day, which I think is better as an overall musclebuilder.  When you clean the bar in a front squat, you're probably sacrificing a rep or two or actual squats by the effort of cleaning it first.
Rich would you not lose a rep on the presses as well? Seems what you might lose you get stimilated in other areas like biceps and traps?

Rich2

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2009, 01:31:39 PM »
You would, but the movement is about both cleans and presses, unlike cleaning into squats which is about squats.  See what I'm saying?  In cleans and presses, a you clean the bar everytime you press the bar.  You only clean the bar once to do squats, so its almost non-essential. 

Also there's the weight disparity.  I can squat a whole lot more than I can clean, but I can clean the relatively same amount that I can overhead press.  So the two movements work well together in a mid to high rep volume workout plan.

Steve Namat

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
  • IFBB PRO www.stevenamat.com
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2009, 01:51:40 PM »
Front Squats Old School - clean the bar and start squating. A great overall excercise stimulates the Traps, Biceps, Back and of course Legs. I have been doing them lately with good results. Any thoughts?
I think it's better than regular squats.

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2009, 02:30:35 PM »
i get under them and then let the bar rest on my tits.  it always digs into me too much so i don't do them.
if i learned to do them right, i'd probably do them more often.
Deep Tissue Massage

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2009, 02:21:49 PM »
I think it's better than regular squats.
You are correct they take the lower back in some degree out of the mix. More direct thigh stimulation.

io856

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2009, 02:24:36 PM »
nice way to fuck up a shoulder

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2009, 03:13:34 PM »
nice way to fuck up a shoulder
Or to build them

Steve Namat

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
  • IFBB PRO www.stevenamat.com
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2009, 05:26:05 PM »
You are correct they take the lower back in some degree out of the mix. More direct thigh stimulation.
Yes. And less stimulation on the glutes which is good.

Most of the people said that you can't use too much weight on front squats. That's bullshit. They're just lazy. Nowadays I don't use big weights in leg exercises (my legs are already big enough), but last year I did a double with 485 lbs.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2009, 03:32:49 AM »
Yes. And less stimulation on the glutes which is good.

Most of the people said that you can't use too much weight on front squats. That's bullshit. They're just lazy. Nowadays I don't use big weights in leg exercises (my legs are already big enough), but last year I did a double with 485 lbs.
Good reply. Impressive.