Author Topic: UFC 100 Official Thread  (Read 45305 times)

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
UFC 100 Official Thread
« on: June 16, 2009, 12:42:48 PM »
Jul-11-2009 7pm PT/10pm ET

Maincard:

Brock Lesnar vs Frank Mir

Georges St-Pierre vs Thiago Alves

Jon Fitch vs Paulo Thiago

Dan Henderson vs Michael Bisping

Yoshihiro Akiyama vs Alan Belcher

Undercard:

Mark Coleman vs Stephan Bonnar

Mac Danzig vs Jim Miller

Jon Jones vs Jake O'Brien

Dong Hyun Kim vs Jonathan Goulet

CB Dollaway vs Tom Lawlor

Matt Grice vs Shannon Gugerty
w

BigMenace

• Getbig II
Re: UFC 100 Official Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 07:34:07 PM »
Can't wait for this card.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 11:25:13 AM »
Even the undercard is decent.  I hope they air the Jon Jones fight, as well as the Bonner/Coleman one....
w

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 01:17:40 PM »
Great card.  I too wanna see Jon Jones

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 06:53:11 AM »
How's that look?

are those your pics?

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 03:28:40 PM »
are those your pics?
Yeah, might as well be. What do you think?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 12:36:34 PM »
I think Mir has too much for Brock on the ground

People overlook Mir at their peril

on his day he is nails
T

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 03:14:38 PM »
I think Mir has too much for Brock on the ground

People overlook Mir at their peril

on his day he is nails
I don't think Brock will make the same mistake twice. ;)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

HDPhysiques

• Getbig III
  • "Hi-Def Bodies in Hi-Def Video"
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 01:51:32 AM »
Lesnar is a completely different fighter than the first time he faced Mir.   But Mir looked good in his last fight.   Should be interesting.   I'm getting to Hooters EARLY for this one.  :)
JOIN HDPhysiques!!!!

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 06:16:34 AM »

"The Nogueira fight was just another boost to my confidence."

"Brock Lesnar and I will represent - How much does size play in? Does it outweigh technique and experience?"

"I think the stand-up is my advantage and the ground is my advantage. I can't wait."

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
UFC 100 Preview: Georges St-Pierre vs. Thiago Alves
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2009, 06:21:17 AM »

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
UFC 100 Preview: Mac Danzig vs. Jim Miller
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 07:30:59 AM »
Mac Danzig talks to MMAWeekly.com:
"I put a lot of pressure on myself leading up to that Neer fight... Looking back at it, maybe I shouldn’t have put so much pressure on myself. Going into this one, let’s face it, it’s do or die for me."

"I’m facing an extremely tough guy. It’s a tough fight because Miller's one of those guys where he doesn’t really have a big name in the sport yet because he hasn’t got a chance to show what he’s all about against guys on a main card. People from the main stream fans that don’t really follow the sport closely probably expect me to win and it’s a tough situation."
Jim Miller talks to MMAWeekly.com:
"I’m coming off one loss, Danzig's coming off two. If I was coming off another loss in a row I’d definitely be really fired up to go out there and whoop some ass..."

"I know Danzig's dangerous everywhere. He’s probably one of the better guys everywhere that I’ve fought. He definitely has a great (submission) game and he’s got very solid hands, so he’s a threat wherever the fight leads. I just look at it as I want tough fights. That’s what I want, that’s why I’m here. The Gray (Maynard) fight was my third fight in the UFC and I’m fighting a top contender, in a matter of months. It’s where I think I belong and it’s where I want to stay."

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
Just around 18 months ago, I wrote a little series of posts about how wrestlers lose in MMA fights, especially when they are new to the sport. We covered: Basic Chokes, Knees to the Face, the Armbar, and as a cautionary tale, I did a special post on the travails of Sean Salmon.

I wrote the posts as a primer on the pitfalls awaiting the decorated amateur wrestler Brock Lesnar in his UFC debut. Not being psychic, I failed to anticipate the kneebar just like Brock Lesnar failed to anticipate the kneebar.

The MMA Ninja had a good account of the action:

After they were stood up, Mir tried two more kicks which Lesnar countered with a few hard punches which knocked Mir down. Lesnar pounced on Mir, landed in the sidemount/north side and proceeded to unleash another flurry of very hard looking punches. For a moment Mir turned on to his knees and Lesnar quickly spun around him to continue punching from the sidemount on the other side. Mir brought his legs up to try an armbar but Lesnar easily got out of that before he was in any danger. Lesnar continued to keep pressuring Mir with more punches from the top of the guard. He stood up and stepped into Mir's half guard where Mir went for a leglock. Lesnar spun away and threw himself away and down to try to get his leg away from Mir, but Mir held on and went for a kneebar. Lesnar tried to escape for a few seconds and tapped.

Brock Lesnar has been talking about his take on the kneebar:

Just because he caught me in a knee bar, it doesn't mean he's gonna get me in another submission. I mean I gave him that knee bar and he knows that. Prior to that was I in any vulnerable positions? No, he was.

His trainer Greg Nelson has a more nuanced analysis:

He's so athletic that it's easy for him to learn stuff, unlike the first fight, you know, his first fight he was a bit maybe too fast paced, a little too hyper-charged, that got him in a little bit of trouble. So this time he's been in there, slowing down a little bit. He's got heavier hands, better boxing, better jiu-jitsu, and wrestling's going to obviously be his strong point. Bottom line, I think you're going to see a lot more of the same of the first fight - except for his ability to defend the ground is going to be a lot better.

I should add that I no more expect Frank Mir to win by kneebar in the rematch than I expect to wake up covered in gold dust in the morning.

Unlike the moves I discussed in the original "How Wrestlers Lose in MMA" series, the kneebar isn't a pitfall that especially plagues wrestlers moving to MMA. Unlike the guillotine choke or the knee to the face, a kneebar isn't something that happens when you make a mistake on a takedown attempt. Unlike the arm bar or triangle choke, the kneebar isn't a submission that you fall into while riding in your opponent's guard and trying to work ground and pound.

The kneebar is a submission of the scramble and usually fighters with wrestling pedigrees like Lesnar's don't find themselves in many scrambles with fighters like Frank Mir who are not especially gifted or skilled wrestlers.

Simply put, Lesnar made a really boneheaded mistake in their first fight, but Frank Mir is such a skilled submission artist and is so quick on the ground for a heavyweight that one mistake is all it took.

Lesnar could easily make another mistake at UFC 100.

In the full entry, Frank Mir demonstrates the knee bar to Joanne of the MMA Girls

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 07:37:24 AM »

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 07:38:43 AM »

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
 MMAMania talks to Fitch about his opponent at the next UFC:

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): Your next opponent is Paulo Thiago at UFC 100. He’s still a bit of a mystery at this point. What do you know about him as far as his strengths and weaknesses?

Jon Fitch: He’s scrappy. That’s the biggest thing about him. He’s a really scrappy guy. He can come in at different angles than you’re used to. He can do things he’s really not supposed to and still get away with it. I have to be very careful and very tight with my technique and keep some good pressure on him but I can’t get into that risk game.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): Your teammate Josh Koscheck fought him at UFC 95. Has he helped you out a lot as far as what you can expect to see from Paulo?

Jon Fitch: We couldn’t really get much out of that fight. It was a short fight. Koscheck was doing a good job and winning the fight up until he got caught. You can’t learn a lot from it but we we’re able to catch some videos of him and see some other fights and get a perspective of what he’s about.

Fitch is right that we really didn't learn much about Thiago from that fight. He was seemingly being dominated on his feet by Koscheck before landing the big KO punch. It reminds me very much of Fedor vs Arlovski. Like Andrei, Koscheck came out and dominated most of the opening round with better striking technique and scored repeatedly with strikes while taking no damage. Then mistakes were made and some dudes got themselves KTFO'd.

Obviously Paulo Thiago is no Fedor, but he's clearly a fighter you have to respect.

Derek Bolender (MMAmania.com): If you’re fortunate enough to get past Paulo do you feel like that will be enough to earn you another title shot against the Georges St. Pierre/Thiago Alves winner?

Jon Fitch: I might need another fight. Thiago and GSP are fighting the same night. I’d like to fight again sooner than probably they’re going to be ready to after that fight. It depends on the bosses and what they say. I know that I need at least one or two more impressive wins, not just normal victories, and I know I’ll put myself right back into a title shot.

Fitch says he doesn't have a preference between GSP and Alves, but the fact remains, he's fought both men and GSP put a beating on him. Alves, on the other hand, Fitch flat-out mauled. He's got to be rooting for the dangerous Brazilian striker in that UFC 100 fight because he's got an excellent claim on a very quick title shot if Alves is the champ. If it's GSP, Fitch can look forward to watching GSP vs Anderson Silva and maybe 2 welterweight title defenses before he gets close to getting a shot.

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
Quote of the Day: Jon Jones
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2009, 07:40:39 AM »
 Talks to MMAWeekly.com :
"There’s just so much more that I need to know. Martial arts is endless, there’s no one who knows it all. Bruce Lee was great, but did he have takedown abilities, did he have great jiu-jitsu? No. Right now, I’m trying to be a true champion, and I want to do the things that Bruce Lee wasn’t figuring out. I want to be like a Muhammed Ali that can actually wrestle and do jiu-jitsu. I’m hungry to be the best. I know there’s a lot of guys out there saying that, but I truly mean it."

"Jake O’Brien has been shooting that same double leg takedown for the three or four years he’s been in the UFC, and I’ve prepared myself to stop his takedowns." "I’ve been working submissions from the front headlock position, and I’m prepared to be there a lot."
And UFC.com:
"With the Stephan Bonnar fight I felt like I was Jonny Jones at 15 percent, and right now [heading into the O’Brien fight] I feel like I’ve kicked it up to maybe 17 percent."
-- Jon Jones (8-0), confident about his upcoming fight against Jake O’Brien (11-2) at UFC 100.

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2009, 07:42:28 AM »

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
It's a toss up, but I'm going with Mir!
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2009, 10:56:51 AM »

w

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
Why the Dildo??
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2009, 11:00:09 AM »

Has Lesnar ever addressed this?
w

chaos

• Getbig V
Re: It's a toss up, but I'm going with Mir!
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2009, 06:34:58 PM »
Didn't watch the first video.......4+minutes is too much time, but from the second one I can say.........the guy holding the pads is a little twink and those pads don't weigh 275 or hit back. :D
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

gmflex

• Getbig V
  • The Empire lives...you rebel scum!!!
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2009, 07:27:52 PM »
MIR all the way..

Lesnar needs to pay his dues..
A Young Randy Cotoure would of owned Brock Lessnar...

CARTEL

• Getbig V
  • Have a good time, all the time.
Re: Why the Dildo??
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2009, 08:08:47 PM »
LOL

That tattoo he sports is terrible.

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2009, 09:24:42 PM »
I'm thinking (based on how Mir looked against Nog) that if he keeps some distance for the 1st 3 minutes,he's got the hands to make Lesnar pay for any mistakes he makes standing up...

mir's a southpaw with under rated boxing skills...

question is how long can he stand there if he can't hurt Brock...

sometimes a good chin can be the great equalizer..

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2009, 11:07:58 PM »
i think for brock to win this fight he needs to use controlled aggression, i believe the reason brock lost last time against mir was he got over aggressive and wanted to finish the fight quickly. dont get me wrong, i love seeing 2 guys going full speed at eachother in a intense fight. i think mirs hoping brock gets over aggressive again so it will be easier to seize one of brocks arms or legs, it brock stays tight in mirs guard and pick and chooses his shots he will dominate. brock has to stay busy enough to not keep getting stood up, i pretty much think they are pretty equal in striking imo. brocks worst place to be in this fight is in mirs guard especially in the first 2 rds when they arent very slipperry and its alot easier to lock onto a limb. i think brocks going out there to jurt mir real bad, brocks got a huge ego and he doesnt like losing, especially to mir whos been talking some hard core chit lately
R