Author Topic: McCain blasts Obama for not taking side in iran crisis  (Read 3177 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
McCain blasts Obama for not taking side in iran crisis
« on: June 17, 2009, 04:38:35 PM »
Very weird of Mccain do do this, particuarly when so many repubs actually agree obama's doing the smart thing by not taking sides publicly.

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
Re: McCain blasts Obama for not taking side in iran crisis
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 05:54:12 PM »
Very weird of Mccain do do this, particuarly when so many repubs actually agree obama's doing the smart thing by not taking sides publicly.

It doesn't matter who the "President" is in Iran, the Mullahs run the show. They also pick who gets to run for President, so who ever wins will do their bidding. For once I agree with Obama, stay out of the mess, it's just another ploy by Iran to distract for it's weapons programs.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 10:23:42 PM »
This just goes to show how horrible our foreign policy would have been had McCain been elected president. This dope would have popped off at the mouth and tainted  Mousavi permanently.
!

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 05:17:07 AM »
This just goes to show how horrible our foreign policy would have been had McCain been elected president. This dope would have popped off at the mouth and tainted  Mousavi permanently.

old people should be preserved indoors..

NOT be allowed to run for president...
carpe` vaginum!

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 01:43:08 PM »

Oh brother..... ::)

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 01:46:54 PM »

I'm only trying to help

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 06:29:44 PM »

Are you sure he actually blasted Obama for not taking side in the crisis?

McCain is supposed to be strong on foreign policy. I kind of doubt he would make a blunder like that.

I was actually pretty impressed that Obama was so low key in this situation, and that told me he really knew the situation - or got lucky.

From what two different Iranians have told me, the idea that Mousavi is some sort of a "liberal" force, is just a creation of the Western media. Wishful thinking if you will.

To be specific: 4000 candidates announced their interest to participate in the election.
Only four  (4) were accepted.

All these four are pro-sharia laws.

And all men are corrupt.

But what can happen, is that this whole thing could be the final straw.

Iran is a young nation. Most didn't  experience the 1979 revolution and have little or no recollection of Khomeynei, the former Ayatollah.

They're  also a pretty well developed nation, and definitely rich on natural resources.

Both  these guys I've talked to says that it's  fight between the relgious and the secular Iran. And that the young Iran wants the secular society to rule.

From what I understand, the mullahs even have to get Arab Hezbollah soldiers from Lebanon to act as police in the riots.

Since their own police won't fight their own kin.

that info is just second hand though, so take it for what it is...
As empty as paradise

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 08:59:07 PM »
hedge you have to take everything 240 posts with a grain of salt he is notorious for spinning shit and plain lying. Never take what he has to say seriously even if he posts a link and in the cases which he doesnt post a link well i think you get where im going...

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 09:02:49 PM »
hedge you have to take everything 240 posts with a grain of salt he is notorious for spinning shit and plain lying. Never take what he has to say seriously even if he posts a link and in the cases which he doesnt post a link well i think you get where im going...

cause people here discount everything i write based upon article source.

Remember we have people here who believe Reuters is a left-wing smear organization.  When you start there, it's kinda hard to argue.  You can always paste a line of text and find the sources yourself.

It defeats every argument when 4 ass-hats will respond to a legit news article from AP with "Well, of course the AP is going to make up something like that..."

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 09:08:57 PM »
BTW, I just saw CNN, or rather one of their reporters in a text, refer to Mousavi as a "reformist".

::)

How the hell do they know that he is gonna reform anything?

Like my Persian friend said.

If you gotta choose between AIDS and syphilis, both are bad, but you will go with the one you at least have a chance to beat.
As empty as paradise

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 09:21:10 PM »
let's all thank the baby jesus  that the McCain/Palin administration does not exist

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 09:46:34 PM »
cause people here discount everything i write based upon article source.

Remember we have people here who believe Reuters is a left-wing smear organization.  When you start there, it's kinda hard to argue.  You can always paste a line of text and find the sources yourself.

It defeats every argument when 4 ass-hats will respond to a legit news article from AP with "Well, of course the AP is going to make up something like that..."

LOL bro there are always gonna be ppl like that you cant deny that you spin shit like a DJ so when somebody with your reputation doesnt post a link how do you expect ppl to take you at your word?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 09:48:44 PM »
let's all thank the baby jesus  that the McCain/Palin administration does not exist
LOL straw youd be just like 240 if mccain had won bitching and moaning about the his actions even though alot of them would have been the same as obamas thus far...edit NK probably wouldnt be acting up as much...

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 09:53:08 PM »
BTW, I just saw CNN, or rather one of their reporters in a text, refer to Mousavi as a "reformist".

::)

How the hell do they know that he is gonna reform anything?

Like my Persian friend said.

If you gotta choose between AIDS and syphilis, both are bad, but you will go with the one you at least have a chance to beat.

He's viewed as a reformist because he has broken away from many traditions. During his campaign, he had his WIFE do the previously unthinkable thing of CAMPAIGNING for her husband. She electrified the voters with such an unprecedented role for a woman. Not only did Mrs Mousavi campaign for her husband, but so too did the daughter of this man

Ali Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani (chairman of the Assembly of experts which selects the Supreme leader), is also a noted opponent of both Ahmedinejad and the Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei. He has often stated a desire to improve Western relations
w

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, 09:57:06 PM »
Obama could be out supporting the common people.

You know the people that Liberals are supposed to help.

Instead he has thrown them under the bus because he wants to deal with Mullahs.

He should come out and support the people on the street,

The Mullahs will vilify him anyway.

Nuance sucks.
Z

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2009, 10:03:46 PM »
Obama could be out supporting the common people.

You know the people that Liberals are supposed to help.

Instead he has thrown them under the bus because he wants to deal with Mullahs.

He should come out and support the people on the street,

The Mullahs will vilify him anyway.

Nuance sucks.

It doesn't matter who is affirmed President of Iran... whether it be Ahmedinejad or Mousavi,
...either way, he is going to have to deal with the Mullahs, because the President of Iran is not the one ultimately in charge. While not throwing overt support being what's taking place, ...one could say he does support it. The government asked Twitter to postpone their schedule maintenance in order to help Iranians get he word out.
w

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2009, 10:21:28 PM »
It doesn't matter who is affirmed President of Iran... whether it be Ahmedinejad or Mousavi,
...either way, he is going to have to deal with the Mullahs, because the President of Iran is not the one ultimately in charge. While not throwing overt support being what's taking place, ...one could say he does support it. The government asked Twitter to postpone their schedule maintenance in order to help Iranians get he word out.

Yeah the twitter thing was pretty cool.

Sounds like tomorrow the Republican Guard is going to be out cracking skulls.

I don't think he should be supporting either Candidate and instead should be overtly supporting the democratic expression of the people.

I remember when the USSR fell.

Bush Sr. didn't do much but he made sure that the general population of Russia knew that America was behind them.
http://www.nytimes.com/1991/07/28/world/us-wondering-if-interests-lie-in-a-united-or-divided-ussr.html
Z

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2009, 10:26:23 PM »
Bush Sr. didn't do much but he made sure that the general population of Russia knew that America was behind them.
http://www.nytimes.com/1991/07/28/world/us-wondering-if-interests-lie-in-a-united-or-divided-ussr.html

Methinks if/when Obama does speak on it, the world will listen.

Maybe he's just waiting until the best time, if one arises.  Right now, he'd be part of the "me too" crowd with France and a bunch of others.

maybe he'll be the super-statesman and deliver some major speech - the the IRANIAN people - to help change things when that time comes.  I mean, imagine if HE went to Iraq and spoke to the iranian people.  Man, that would be something.

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2009, 10:40:22 PM »
Methinks if/when Obama does speak on it, the world will listen.

Maybe he's just waiting until the best time, if one arises.  Right now, he'd be part of the "me too" crowd with France and a bunch of others.

maybe he'll be the super-statesman and deliver some major speech - the the IRANIAN people - to help change things when that time comes.  I mean, imagine if HE went to Iraq and spoke to the iranian people.  Man, that would be something.

My opinion of him would change,

Remember Reagan in Berlin.

Sometimes moments do make the man.
Z

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2009, 10:51:48 PM »

Ah yes, I didn't even think of Reagan's speech.  That was a pretty powerful moment.  Imagine how the arab world woudl get behind Obama if he did something similar.  imagine how much democracy would grow.

that would be cool.  He gave good campaign speeches, but nothing has changed the world yet.  imagine if he commanded a population in such a way.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2009, 11:05:19 PM »
Yeah the twitter thing was pretty cool.

Sounds like tomorrow the Republican Guard is going to be out cracking skulls.

I don't think he should be supporting either Candidate and instead should be overtly supporting the democratic expression of the people.

That's what I meant. By having twitter postpone maintenance, he supports the expression of the Iranian people.

from what I understand, it's not so much the Republican Guard that's cracking all the skulls but rather the Basij (volunteer rent-a-thugs)
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2009, 11:14:11 PM »

Complete total political BS & grandstanding!!!

The Soviets had already planned to tear down the wall, Reagan's speech writer's knew it so they threw it in the speech. When it eventually occurred, everyone gave Reagan the credit, but it was no more spectacular than if I stood on a pedestal at 4:30 in the morning and commanded the universe to "Let there be light". If the sun came up at 5 am, should I then be given the credit?
w

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2009, 07:50:28 AM »
Complete total political BS & grandstanding!!!

The Soviets had already planned to tear down the wall, Reagan's speech writer's knew it so they threw it in the speech. When it eventually occurred, everyone gave Reagan the credit, but it was no more spectacular than if I stood on a pedestal at 4:30 in the morning and commanded the universe to "Let there be light". If the sun came up at 5 am, should I then be given the credit?

Jaguar that was one of the pivotal speeches of our time.

He made the speech on June 12, 1987.

Eastern Germany didn't tear the wall down until November 9, 1989.

The soviets never planed to tear down the wall. The collapse of East Germany caused it happen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin_Wall

Z

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2009, 11:03:56 AM »
Republicans take issue with Obama on Iran
Posted: 08:04 PM ET

WASHINGTON (CNN) — A top congressional Republican on Thursday joined critics of the White House's response to Iran's disputed presidential election, saying the United States has a "moral responsibility" to condemn attacks on protesters.

"The administration's position that what's going on in Iran is a 'vigorous debate' is absurd," House Minority Whip Eric Cantor said in a statement released Thursday. "People are being brutalized and murdered by the regime in Tehran. We have no idea exactly how many have died or have been seriously injured, since the regime has restricted journalists. In no way do these actions constitute a 'vigorous debate.'"

The congressman from Virginia, the No. 2 Republican in the House, added that "America has a moral responsibility to stand up for these brave people, to defend human rights, and to condemn the violence and abuses by the regime in Tehran."

Obama said Monday he was "deeply troubled" by the violent protests that followed Friday's vote, which official results show resulted in the re-election of hard-line Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. But he avoided siding with Ahmadinejad's opponents, telling reporters that "It is up to Iranians to make decisions about who Iran's leaders will be."

Tuesday, he added, "It's not productive, given the history of U.S.-Iranian relations, to be seen as meddling, the U.S. president meddling in Iranian elections."

White House spokesman Robert Gibbs defended that approach Thursday, telling reporters Obama "believes that he's struck the right tone."

"I know some people agree with what Sen. McCain said. Some people agree with what other Republicans have said that's very much like the president's position," Gibbs said. "The president strongly believes that we should — and have — spoken out to ensure the demonstrators have the universal right and principle to demonstrate without fear of harm. But at the same time, we have to respect their sovereignty."

Obama's opponent in last year's presidential race, Sen. John McCain, said Wednesday that the president's stated desire to avoid meddling in the Iranian elections sends the wrong message.

"On this issue, I do not believe that the president is taking a leadership (role) that is incumbent upon an American president, which we have throughout modern history, and that is to advocate for human rights and freedom — and free elections are one of those fundamentals," the Arizona Republican told CNN's "American Morning."

But Moorhead Kennedy, a former diplomat who was among the hostages held in the U.S. Embassy in Tehran in 1979 and 1980, told the same program Thursday that "If we have to hold back from interfering in any country, it should be Iran."

"I think if I had any conclusion to draw, we would have been much better off not interfering in Iran now," he said. Because the United States backed a 1953 coup that put Shah Mohammed Reza Pahlavi in charge, and supported him until the 1979 revolution that created today's Islamic republic, Kennedy said, "There are a great many resentments there."

McCain said he wasn't calling for any American "meddling" by demanding free elections and human rights. But Sen. John Kerry, the chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, said Washington would be making an "enormous mistake" by taking sides in the Iranian protests.

"There is no need for the United States of America to step into the middle of it and make this about America," Kerry, the Democratic presidential candidate in 2004, told CNN's "The Situation Room."

"It is an Iranian moment, spurred on by Iranians, thoroughly supported by Iranians to the degree that the supreme ayatollah has now backed off his own support for the elections (and) called for an investigation," he said.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/06/18/cantor-blasts-obama-for-iran-response/#more-56770