Author Topic: Gates: Missile interceptors on way to Hawaii ahead of North Korea test  (Read 932 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
North Korea better leave my state alone.   >:(

Gates: Missile interceptors on way to Hawaii ahead of North Korea test
Advertiser News Services

WASHINGTON — Defense Secretary Robert Gates said today he has ordered the U.S. military to take defensive measures should North Korea attempt to fire a ballistic missile toward Hawaii.

"We do have some concerns if they were to launch a missile to the west in the direction of Hawaii," Gates told reporters at the Pentagon.

Gates said he has sent the military's ground-based mobile missile system to Hawaii, and positioned a radar system nearby. Together the systems theoretically could detect and shoot down a North Korean missile if it came to that.

"Without telegraphing what we will do, I would just say ... we are in a good position, should it become necessary, to protect Americans and American territory," Gates said.

Gates' comments came in response to a report out of Japan that said North Korea may fire its most advanced ballistic missile toward Hawaii around July 4.

North Korea test-fired a long-range missile on July 4 three years ago, but it failed seconds after liftoff and fell into the ocean.

While the Yomiuri Shimbun speculated the latest Taepodong-2 could fly over Japan and toward Hawaii, it said the missile would not be able to hit Hawaii's main islands, which are about 4,500 miles from the Korean peninsula.

A spokesman for the Japanese Defense Ministry declined to comment on the report. South Korea's Defense Ministry and the National Intelligence Service — the country's main spy agency — said they could not confirm it.

A new missile launch — though not expected to threaten U.S. territory — would be a brazen slap in the face of the international community, which punished North Korea with new U.N. sanctions for conducting a second nuclear test on May 25 in defiance of a U.N. ban.

North Korea spurned the U.N. Security Council resolution with threats of war and pledges to expand its nuclear bomb-making program.

The missile now being readied in the North is believed to be a Taepodong-2 with a range of up to 4,000 miles, and would be launched from North Korea's Dongchang-ni site on the northwestern coast, the Yomiuri newspaper said.

It cited an analysis by Japan's Defense Ministry and intelligence gathered by U.S. reconnaissance satellites.

Pyongyang's missile and nuclear programs are centerpieces of the regime's catalog of weapons of mass destruction.

But the impoverished nation, which has put most of its scarce resources into boosting its military capabilities under its "army-first" policy, also has a large chemical arsenal, as well as capabilities to produce biological weapons.

Today, an international security think tank warned that these weapons are no less serious a threat to the region than the North's nuclear arsenal.

The independent International Crisis Group said the North is believed to have between 2,500 and 5,000 tons of chemical weapons, including mustard gas, phosgene, blood agents and sarin. These weapons can be delivered with ballistic missiles and long-range artillery and are "sufficient to inflict massive civilian casualties on South Korea."

"If progress is made on rolling back Pyongyang's nuclear ambitions, there could be opportunities to construct a cooperative diplomatic solution for chemical weapons and the suspected biological weapons program," the think tank said in a report.

It also called on the U.S. to engage the North in dialogue to defuse the nuclear crisis, saying "diplomacy is the least bad option." It said Washington should be prepared to send a high-level special envoy to Pyongyang to resolve the tension.

South Korea's annual defense report, published early this year, said that in addition to chemical weapons, the North is believed to be capable of producing biological weapons with agents like anthrax and smallpox.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/20090618/BREAKING01/90618011/Gates++Missile+interceptors+on+way+to+Hawaii+ahead+of+North+Korea+test

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
FEARMONGERING never stops in america...
C

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV

Beach, just posturing from NK? i didnt think they would push it this far. I feel bad for Lauran Ling and Euna Lee.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
get your predictions in now.

what will obama do?

A) shoot it down
B) Hit some targets in their country where the missile originate
C) Nothing
D) Pay them off with a million barrels of oil (like Bush did).

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
he cant do nothing, i would say (D) or some variation of it
Im thinking they are going to appease him somehow. Kim Jong needs to be handled.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

Beach, just posturing from NK? i didnt think they would push it this far. I feel bad for Lauran Ling and Euna Lee.

I think it's just posturing.  They're like the neighborhood Chihuahua.  But I guess we should find out where the bunkers are anyway?   :D  

Terrible about Ling and Lee.  Not over yet though.  Maybe we can still get them home.  

240 is Back

• Getbig V
the repubs are BEGGING for obama to be weak on this guy.

I'm gonna bet he knocks down the missile, which I think NK calls an act of war?
Then I'm guessing he locks them down with ships and lets them decide if they want to have a lot hardware land on thier heads.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
I think it's just posturing.

3 years ago, it was called 'posturing' when they aimed at hawaii and their missiles hit the water.  4th of july and a space shuttle launch and they fired at us.  Not cool.

Since then, they've set off nukes.  They have that technology.  And they have missiles that can fly much further.  I wouldn't call it posturing now.  Especially considering those missile could easily put a warhead on the tens of thousands of US forces stationed in NK.

Or, you could leave them alone another 3 years.   By then, they'll probably have 100 warheads on birds that CAN hit hawaii :(

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
3 years ago, it was called 'posturing' when they aimed at hawaii and their missiles hit the water.  4th of july and a space shuttle launch and they fired at us.  Not cool.

Since then, they've set off nukes.  They have that technology.  And they have missiles that can fly much further.  I wouldn't call it posturing now.  Especially considering those missile could easily put a warhead on the tens of thousands of US forces stationed in NK.

Or, you could leave them alone another 3 years.   By then, they'll probably have 100 warheads on birds that CAN hit hawaii :(

It's posturing because they have nothing that can reach Hawaii and don't have the sophistication or manpower to engage us in combat. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
It's posturing because they have nothing that can reach Hawaii

Yet.

The last missile went what, 5 or 10 miles?

This one could go 2000 or 3000 miles.  We admit it will clear Japan.  And if there was a 0% chance it could hit hawaii, would gates be mobilizing interceptors to knock it down?

you don't let a baby pitbill chew on your foot every day, because one day he will be strong enough to bite your toes off.  We gotta slap this guy now while the missiles can't hit us.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Yet.

The last missile went what, 5 or 10 miles?

This one could go 2000 or 3000 miles.  We admit it will clear Japan.  And if there was a 0% chance it could hit hawaii, would gates be mobilizing interceptors to knock it down?

you don't let a baby pitbill chew on your foot every day, because one day he will be strong enough to bite your toes off.  We gotta slap this guy now while the missiles can't hit us.

Hawaii is 4500 miles from North Korea.  They will never fire a missile from North Korea that will land anywhere near Hawaii.  They're like a toothless vampire when it comes to being an intercontinental threat.  They're a huge regional threat and that's about it. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
They will never fire a missile from North Korea that will land anywhere near Hawaii. 

I see.   You know this for a fact.  Great.

The rest of America knows that any enemy, with enough time, money, and mean spirit can develop a missile system that reaches 4500 miles.   

Just because it might not make it 4500 miles today doesn't mean in 2 or 3 or 5 years they can't reach hawaii. 

LOL @ you downplaying the threat of a country firing missiles at a US state, and me saying we should hit them.  You sound a lot more like the pacifist lib.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
Obama will end up paying them off. The Russians and Chinese will bring them back to the bargaining table and they'll 3x the amount in concessions for their "show of strength".

240 is Back

• Getbig V
Obama will end up paying them off. The Russians and Chinese will bring them back to the bargaining table and they'll 3x the amount in concessions for their "show of strength".

haha that kinda move could cost him some support in 2010 and 2012.

The hypocritical repubs who sat quietly while Bushpaid them off, will be all over obama for bribing them.

My guess is that he makes them the sacrificial lamb and F's up their world.

imagine the reponse if Obama had the balls to bomb some of their plants, and bush didn't.  imagine if it's repubs saying "no, we shouldn't attack them for shooting missiles at hawaii!" and it's the libs saying "That's a declaration of war... we shall rain fire on you now".

brutal role reversal.  pacifist repubs like BB are so funny to me.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
I think it's just posturing.  They're like the neighborhood Chihuahua.  But I guess we should find out where the bunkers are anyway?   :D  

Terrible about Ling and Lee.  Not over yet though.  Maybe we can still get them home.  

Rattle them sabers.

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!

The hypocritical repubs who sat quietly while Bushpaid them off, will be all over obama for bribing them.

imagine the reponse if Obama had the balls to bomb some of their plants, and bush didn't.  imagine if it's repubs saying "no, we shouldn't attack them for shooting missiles at hawaii!" and it's the libs saying "That's a declaration of war... we shall rain fire on you now".

::)

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.

do i smell common sense?

who the fuck do you think you are man?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
do i smell common sense?

who the fuck do you think you are man?

lol...

mitt and friends would be very wise to JOIN obama on the popular things, such as letting iran melt and hititng the punks who - gasp - fired missiles at a vacation state on the 4th of july.

instead, they'll likely find ways to hate on him, or they'll just stay quiet.

hey, I wonder if this will negatively influence Hawaiian vacations this summer.  I'm sure at least one person is re-thinking visiting the state, since a nation setting off nukes has actually told us the date they'll be firing a missile at it.   :o

now, NK is fvcking with our economy. :(  How long will these pacifist repubs go on ignoring him and calling him a pest?  He's firing missiles at BB's state and killing tourism, and BB doens't consider this a problem?  If Costa Rica was setting off nukes and promised to shoot a missile at FL and gave a date, I'd be pretty damn pissed.  "It probably won't hit us"...  LOL... pacifist repub...

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
lol...

mitt and friends would be very wise to JOIN obama on the popular things, such as letting iran melt and hititng the punks who - gasp - fired missiles at a vacation state on the 4th of july.

instead, they'll likely find ways to hate on him, or they'll just stay quiet.

In any event i'm thinking they'll find a way to shift the credit to his military advisors. Or, had the said hypothetical situation been a clusterfuck, they'll likely blame him for not being his own man.

now, NK is fvcking with our economy. :(  How long will these pacifist repubs go on ignoring him and calling him a pest?  He's firing missiles at BB's state and killing tourism, and BB doens't consider this a problem?  If Costa Rica was setting off nukes and promised to shoot a missile at FL and gave a date, I'd be pretty damn pissed.  "It probably won't hit us"...  LOL... pacifist repub...

:o

true

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Rattle them sabers.

Yep.  We ought to just send in a few cruise missiles, take out their launching capacity, and wait for any fallout. 

On the other hand, not sure how that would affect our troops near the DMZ.  Where is HH6?     

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

Hereford

• Getbig V
BB, send me some Tako jerkey. I won't be able to get it after NK blows it all up.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
BB, send me some Tako jerkey. I won't be able to get it after NK blows it all up.

lol.  I don't eat that stuff.   :D  I'm moving to the Caribbean if they blow up all of our islands.  :)

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV

great snack!