Author Topic: Senate Apologizes for Slavery  (Read 5018 times)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Senate Apologizes for Slavery
« on: June 19, 2009, 01:26:04 AM »
Senate Apologizes for Slavery
By Terence Samuel

Photo: KAREN BLEIER/AFP/Getty Images

No, this is not an Onion Headline. Six months into Barack Obama’s presidency, the ultimate good ol’ boys club quietly comes clean and seeks reconciliation, justice and harmony for the American people. Better way, way, way, late than never.

At two minutes before noon on Thursday, June 18, 2009, 146 years after Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation and 150 days after a black man took the presidential oath of office, the United States Senate, in a unanimous voice vote, apologized to African Americans for slavery and the racial discrimination during the Jim Crow era. It’s about damn time!

Introduced by Iowa Democrat Tom Harkin, and co-sponsored  by 21 other senators, the resolution acknowledged that it is important “for the people of the United States, who legally recognized slavery through the Constitution and the laws of the United States, to make a formal apology for slavery and for its successor, Jim Crow, so they can move forward and seek reconciliation, justice, and harmony for all people of the United States.”

Who could disagree with that?

And so the Congress, “apologizes to African-Americans on behalf of the people of the United States, for the wrongs committed against them and their ancestors who suffered under slavery and Jim Crow laws.”

Apology accepted. But what’s taken so long? I  know it is Constitutionally enshrined that the Senate is to act slowly, deliberately; that it is to be neither impetuous nor impulsive, but even by the most extreme standards, this was a ridiculously long deliberation --  150 years is a longtime.

Of course, everyone would grant that an earlier apology without the hard work that has been done to end discrimination and racial injustice would have been a particularly empty gesture. So on this one, as with most things, actual hard work  and progress counts more than just words. At least with Barack Obama in the White House, there is an argument to be made that the apology is sincere. One of the reasons for the delay was the complicated and complicating idea of reparations for slavery. Some have worried that the existence of  an official apology would only strengthen the case for reparations; time, it seems, has just diminished those concerns.

Still the Senate was careful to address some of those concerns. The Senate resolution differs from the one passed by the House last summer, in that it includes a disclaimer that reads: “Nothing in this resolution-- (A) authorizes or supports any claim against the United States; or (B) serves as a settlement of any claim against the United States.” So forget any reparations claims based on this particular apology.

While the apology is official, it does not have the force of law. The President does not have to sign it allowing him whatever distance he needs from the debate. But both Presidents Clinton and Bush made a point to condemn the legacy of slavery with President Bush describing it as “one of the great crimes of history.” 

Comments from the floor were predictably moving and contrite. Kansas Republican Sen. Sam Brownback said that with the resolution, the Senate was, on behalf of the American people, not just saying sorry, but also asking for forgiveness.

Harkin noted the historic quality of the moment: “The clerk just read for the first time ever in this body what we should have done a long time ago -- an apology for slavery and the Jim Crow laws which for a century after emancipation deprived millions of Americans their basic human rights, equal justice under law and equal opportunities.”

The apology notes that Africans were "were brutalized, humiliated, dehumanized and subjected to the indignity of being stripped of their names and heritage” and noted that “the system of slavery and the visceral racism against people of African descent upon which it depended became enmeshed in the social fabric of the United States.”

We know that problems remain. The resolution wisely acknowledges such: “African-Americans continue to suffer from the consequences of slavery and Jim Crow laws--long after both systems were formally abolished--through enormous damage and loss, both tangible and intangible, including the loss of human dignity and liberty.”

Shockingly late timing aside, there are passages of inescapable truth in the resolution that make it worth reading. It says, for example, that “an apology for centuries of brutal dehumanization and injustices cannot erase the past, but confession of the wrongs committed and a formal apology to African-Americans will help bind the wounds of the Nation that are rooted in slavery.”

Yes, there are still wounds to be bound, and they are not all symbolic. The recent sub-prime mortgage crisis is reminder enough, for anyone who needs reminding. But that’s another debate. Another resolution.

Apology accepted.

Terence Samuel is Deputy Editor of The Root
w

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
Re: Senate Apologizes for Slavery
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 01:30:43 AM »
Now for the Africans to apologies for the slavery of white Europeans many moons ago.
الاسلام هو شيطانية

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 01:33:42 AM »
Are you fuking serious  ::) apologize for something that nobody alive did or went through? LOL i bet rev wright and jesse jackson feel a great sense of accomplishment with this  ::) get the fuck over it

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 01:39:34 AM »
Don't they have anything better to be doing right now ::) When can we get all these jerkoffs out of office and get some people in there to do things that actually need done?  My guess is never... This is the worthless crap we'll have to endure from these clowns until we're dead.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 01:40:36 AM »
Are you fuking serious  ::) apologize for something that nobody alive did or went through? LOL i bet rev wright and jesse jackson feel a great sense of accomplishment with this  ::) get the fuck over it

Whether anybody alive did it or went through it, does not change the fact that all Americans have inherited the consequences of it and must deal with it.
w

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 01:41:20 AM »
Don't they have anything better to be doing right now ::) When can we get all these jerkoffs out of office and get some people in there to do things that actually need done?  My guess is never... This is the worthless crap we'll have to endure from these clowns until we're dead.

yep...
S

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 01:45:54 AM »
Whether anybody alive did it or went through it, does not change the fact that all Americans have inherited the consequences of it and must deal with it.

Right, so now I want Africans to apologise for the kidnap and slavery of white Europeans:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british/empire_seapower/white_slaves_01.shtml
الاسلام هو شيطانية

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 01:51:00 AM »
bullshit.  It's not my fucking fault.  The only thing that should come out of this is a history lesson, not consequences.  Consequences only serve to add fuel to the fire.  Get fucking over it for fuck sake.  All people have been subject to extreme injustice at some point in history.  It is valuable to learn that history.  It is not valuable to make people who had nothing to do with it, pay for it.  All you do is piss off people and like I said, add fuel to the fire.  So STFU about it already.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 01:55:51 AM »
Right, so now I want Africans to apologise for the kidnap and slavery of white Europeans:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british/empire_seapower/white_slaves_01.shtml

You'll  have to appeal to the governments of Morrocco, Algeria & Tunisia about that. I have no say in it.
w

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 02:02:22 AM »
You'll  have to appeal to the governments of Morrocco, Algeria & Tunisia about that. I have no say in it.
Then you don't have any say on slavery in America either...

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 02:03:30 AM »
bullshit.  It's not my fucking fault.  The only thing that should come out of this is a history lesson, not consequences.  Consequences only serve to add fuel to the fire.  Get fucking over it for fuck sake.  All people have been subject to extreme injustice at some point in history.  It is valuable to learn that history.  It is not valuable to make people who had nothing to do with it, pay for it.  All you do is piss off people and like I said, add fuel to the fire.  So STFU about it already.

Can you just calm the fuck down for a minute?  There already have been consequences. Who is talking about reparations or adding fuel to fire? Slavery has impacted the USA. If one cannot learn the lessons from history (which is altogether different from a history lesson) there will be further consequences. The bottom line is, no you didn't create it, ...but you did inherit the mess. So the sooner you deal with it, the sooner you will be able to put it behind you as a nation. Once you move past the knee-jerk defensivesness and look at the legacy that has been left you as a nation, ...the sooner you will be able to put it past you, ...until then, it will continue to be there affecting the lives of all Americans everyday, ...whether you choose to acknowledge it or not.
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 02:05:11 AM »
Then you don't have any say on slavery in America either...

Defensive much?  ;D
I'm not creating the news, just observing and reporting it.
w

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 02:17:49 AM »
Defensive much?  ;D
I'm not creating the news, just observing and reporting it.
Not defending anything...  You've commented on slavery in this thread and in plenty of other threads here.  But all of a sudden you can't have an opinion on what Nordic questioned you on ::)  yea....

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2009, 02:48:48 AM »
Not defending anything...  You've commented on slavery in this thread and in plenty of other threads here.  But all of a sudden you can't have an opinion on what Nordic questioned you on ::)  yea....

It's not that I can't have an opinion, ...simply that I don't have an opinion. This is the first I'm hearing of it.
Unlike some around here, I prefer to have at least some knowledge of a subject before I run my mouth off on it.
w

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2009, 02:52:04 AM »
It's not that I can't have an opinion, ...simply that I don't have an opinion. This is the first I'm hearing of it.
Unlike some around here, I prefer to have at least some knowledge of a subject before I run my mouth off on it.

Do you think the Senate was right to apologise now?

Do you think Africans should apologise for white slavery?
الاسلام هو شيطانية

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2009, 03:50:18 AM »

I say the same thing about the HOLOCAUST that NEVER happened...

BTW why is there a holocaust museum in america? in Africa? in India? In any country other than Germany where it supposedly happened?
C

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2009, 04:40:35 AM »
I say the same thing about the HOLOCAUST that NEVER happened...

BTW why is there a holocaust museum in america? in Africa? in India? In any country other than Germany where it supposedly happened?

Oh, you're denying facts once again. The true sign of an low-IQ idiot.
الاسلام هو شيطانية

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2009, 06:34:55 AM »

Oh please, the constant harping on this is what keeps many blacks from progessing in this country.

Yes it was evil, yes it sucked, yes 600,000 people died ending it,

HOWEVER

Blacks today need to man up and get with the program.   

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2009, 07:16:38 AM »
All of you are forgetting one very important thing, some of the largest slave owners/traders in the south were black. And another thing I am about sick of the "whatever"American bullshit. You are either an American first or go back to whatever country/nationality...... you put before America.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2009, 07:23:04 AM »
All of you are forgetting one very important thing, some of the largest slave owners/traders in the south were black. And another thing I am about sick of the "whatever"American bullshit. You are either an American first or go back to whatever country/nationality...... you put before America.

AGREE
S

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2009, 07:29:23 AM »
I actually think its reasonable to have an official appology from the gov for historical wrongs that were condoned by our government.  We now have official written appologies from the house and senate...long overdue.
However, any preferential treatment (affirmative action) or talk of reparations should stop. 
There were many unjust things that have happened in the last century...we must learn from them and move on as better people...all of us.

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2009, 08:04:08 AM »
I support the motion, but I don't think many Americans will like the cost.

Once this goes to the supreme court with Liberal judges.
Reparations will be next.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation/story/1104271.html
Sen. Roland Burris, D-Ill., the Senate's lone African-American, went to the floor after the Harkin resolution passed and said, ``I want to go on record making sure that that disclaimer in no way would eliminate future actions that may be brought before this body that may deal with reparations.''

We have been going through this in Canada where we Apologized and offered Cash Reparations for Indian School Abuse and the Chinese head tax.
Z

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2009, 08:08:06 AM »
I support the motion, but I don't think many Americans will like the cost.

Once this goes to the supreme court with Liberal judges.
Reparations will be next.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation/story/1104271.html
Sen. Roland Burris, D-Ill., the Senate's lone African-American, went to the floor after the Harkin resolution passed and said, ``I want to go on record making sure that that disclaimer in no way would eliminate future actions that may be brought before this body that may deal with reparations.''

We have been going through this in Canada where we Apologized and offered Cash Reparations for Indian School Abuse and the Chinese head tax.

I support reparations for anyone alive today who was a slave as long as they can collect from the slave owner, if not then to bad.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2009, 08:27:41 AM »
Reparations are completely out of the question and it will hopefully be political suicide for anyone that pushes the idea.  This is a radical idea.
The families of a great majority of people that live in the country were not here before world war I.  The great migrations from Europe were between WW1 and WW2, thats a full lifetime after slavery was abolished.

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2009, 08:30:05 AM »
I support reparations for anyone alive today who was a slave as long as they can collect from the slave owner, if not then to bad.

I think the best line I heard about reparations.
Is the cost of the civil war.

That was cost of any reparations, because America could have let the South stay independent.

Of course now its about Jim Crow. That didn't make into Jags post.
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2009/06/senate_apologizes_for_slavery.html
Z