Author Topic: Going long: US seriously thinks N. Korea could hit Hawaii  (Read 3945 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Going long: US seriously thinks N. Korea could hit Hawaii
« on: June 19, 2009, 07:04:54 AM »
WASHINGTON (AFP) – The US military beefed up defenses in Hawaii on Friday over fears that North Korea could launch a missile toward the Pacific island chain.

The US military also tracked a North Korean ship possibly carrying banned cargo — the first vessel to be monitored under UN sanctions imposed last week after the Stalinist state carried out an underground nuclear test on May 25.

US Defense Secretary Robert Gates said Thursday that there were concerns that North Korea might “launch a missile… in the direction of Hawaii.”

He said he had approved the deployment of THAAD missile defense weapons to Hawaii and a radar system nearby “to provide support” in case of a North Korean launch. Ground-based defenses in Alaska were also at the ready, Gates added.

“I would just say I think we are in a good position should it become necessary to protect American territory,” he said.

The Theatre High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) weapons, coupled with the radar system, are designed to shoot down ballistic missiles.

US and South Korean officials have said North Korea might be readying another ballistic missile test after three launches in 1998, 2006 and this year.

Pyongyang said its latest April 5 launch put a satellite into orbit. The United States and its allies labeled it a disguised test of a Taepodong-2 missile theoretically capable of reaching Alaska.

Japan’s Yomiuri Shimbun newspaper this week quoted Japanese defense ministry sources as saying any new test of North Korea’s two or three stage Taepodong-2 missile would probably be fired toward Hawaii even if it could not hit the island chain.

It quoted the ministry as saying the Taepodong-2 has a range of 4,000-6,500 kilometres (2,500-4,000 miles), but that Hawaii is more than 7,000 kilometers from the Korean peninsula.

Tensions on the Korean peninsula have been running high since Pyongyang carried out its second nuclear test last month.

A US defense official confirmed that the military has been monitoring a North Korean ship, the Kang Nam, that might be carrying nuclear or missile-related cargo in violation of new UN sanctions.

“There is a particular ship that we are closely monitoring,” the defense official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told AFP.

The ship could provide the first test of a UN Security Council resolution adopted a week ago that bans shipments of arms and nuclear and missile technology to and from North Korea.

The US military has long kept a close watch on ships heading in and out of North Korea, but the new UN resolution means “we have newfound authorities and responsibilities,” the official said.

The UN resolution calls for inspections of ships but rules out the use of military force to back up the searches.

The sanctions allow for the US Navy and others to ask to inspect North Korean vessels and ships flagged from other countries suspected of carrying banned cargo.

Admiral Mike Mullen, the top US military officer said the United States would “vigorously enforce” Security Council resolution 1874.

If the ship refuses the search, then the vessel would be directed to a nearby port, Mullen told a news conference with Gates.

Mullen would not confirm whether the military was tracking a particular North Korean vessel.

The United Nations resolution calls on member states to inspect ships if there are “reasonable grounds” that a vessel may be carrying illicit cargo.

Analysts say however that North Korea could get around the shipping measures by transporting banned cargo by air and exploiting provisions that prohibit the use of military force.

However, experts say the financial sanctions in the UN resolution could prove more effective against the isolated Stalinist state.

On June 13, the North vowed to build more nuclear bombs and start enriching uranium for a new atomic weapons program, in response to the new UN sanctions. It has not yet demonstrated the ability to put a nuclear warhead on one of its ballistic missiles.

The United States said Thursday it is looking into five-way talks with China, Russia, Japan and South Korea about pressuring North Korea to change tack on its nuclear and missile programs.

The idea was raised, a US official said, when Obama hosted South Korean President Lee Myung-Bak this week.

Hereford

• Getbig V
Re: Going long: US seriously thinks N. Korea could hit Hawaii
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 09:34:52 AM »
Beach Bum is fvcked.

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 09:37:37 AM »
If you stop N. Korea from producing/researching/testing its missiles then you also stop Iran from progressing with its own warhead/missile program as well.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 09:41:12 AM »
If you stop N. Korea from producing/researching/testing its missiles then you also stop Iran from progressing with its own warhead/missile program as well.
shush obama wants the US to proliferate he doesnt really care about other countries...

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 09:51:46 AM »

Nothing short of a full scale invasion will stop wither of them.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 11:14:32 AM »
we just sent a big destroyer over there to ruin that ships day.  Drudge

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 11:15:59 AM »
Beach Bum is fvcked.

Not.  I'm trying to set up a date with my hammock this weekend.   :)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 12:35:06 PM »
Beach Bum is fvcked.

no worries - I'm sure he'll be raptured and will probably pass the missles on the way up to heaven

GigantorX

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 03:18:02 PM »
no worries - I'm sure he'll be raptured and will probably pass the missles on the way up to heaven
::)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 03:45:31 PM »

I'm starting to like this GigantorX fellow.  Pithy responses.   :D

GigantorX

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 04:45:33 PM »
I'm starting to like this GigantorX fellow.  Pithy responses.   :D

I'm sorry. Sometimes the emoticon is all that will suffice. Although Straw Man's post was pretty funny, I just couldn't help myself.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 04:48:41 PM »
I'm sorry. Sometimes the emoticon is all that will suffice. Although Straw Man's post was pretty funny, I just couldn't help myself.

No worries.  I use it often.  :)

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 05:24:13 PM »
Why stop at Hawaii when Washington is SO MUCH BETTER A TARGET!!!... ;) ;) ;)
C

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2009, 05:42:08 PM »
No worries.  I use it often.  :)

Really?  No way.   :D

GigantorX

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2009, 06:06:16 PM »
Why stop at Hawaii when Washington is SO MUCH BETTER A TARGET!!!... ;) ;) ;)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2009, 06:16:01 PM »

TechnoViking

• Getbig V
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die...----HST
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2009, 09:44:33 PM »
This North Korea shit has Nineteen Eighty Four(1984) written all over it...I still don't believe that they have nukes. But Iran some of the smartest mother fuckers on the planet with much more money don't :-\...

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2009, 09:57:10 PM »
North Korea is still fighting the "Korean War"

they have all the weapons they need to destroy "south" "korea"

for whatever reason the "North" Koreans are willing to follow this guy

they are a cult who thinks they are a country

GigantorX

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2009, 06:41:59 AM »
North Korea is still fighting the "Korean War"

they have all the weapons they need to destroy "south" "korea"

for whatever reason the "North" Koreans are willing to follow this guy

they are a cult who thinks they are a country

The scenario you lay out would be fine if the North Koreans lived in an even half-way open society, they don't. From cradle to grave they have no access to the outside and are exposed to massive and brainwashing amounts of propaganda, education and indoctrination. The people know of nothing else but to love the "Dear Leader" or as one propaganda film called him, "The Sunshine Leader of the 21st Century."

So yeah I guess it could be compared to a cult, but they really have no choice.

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2009, 06:59:06 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong... but isn't the source of this supposed "threat to Hawaii" a ministry of a country that ACTUALLY ATTACKED Hawaii on the 7th of December of 1941, namely the Japanese defense ministry? Am I the only one who saw this? The article states: "Japan’s Yomiuri Shimbun newspaper this week quoted Japanese defense ministry sources as saying any new test of North Korea’s two or three stage Taepodong-2 missile would probably be fired toward Hawaii even if it could not hit the island chain." As usual in all these "threats" no sources are provided, no proof is provided.

I'm no friend of anyone who exposes his/her population to starvation while arming him/herself to the teeth, but this is sounding like the State Department is trying to put together a case to attack North Korea. Am I the only one who sees mobile chemical trucks and misterious spy-terrorist meetings in Prague in this bullshit story?

And the US mainstream media are doing the usual cheerleading and lack of obviously faulty fact-checking, so those are signs that the propaganda machine is in full swing.

As of right now, this very moment, the Sea of Japan is infested with US navy ships doing their very best to create a pretext for aggression, ala Bay of Tonkin. What North Korea is accused of doing, namely enriching nuclear material to be used in WMDs, is something the US has been doing for many years.

Apart from this, almost 70% of SOUTH Koreans are for unification with the north (Gallup poll).

Just my opinion.

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2009, 07:11:20 AM »
Hawaii is just a diversion to get all Americans up in arms and have them rally behind "their leader".

The simple fact that North Korea's missiles can't reach Hawaii does not stop the propaganda machine from whipping Americans into a state of furor.

I'm no military mastermind here... but if North Korea responds to supposed US aggressions they will first go after the 25,000 US military persons stationed in South Korea. Furthermore I can see Kim whatever the fuck his last name is attacking US navy ships and possibly dropping some serious bombing on Seoul, which could escalate into a full-fledged nuclear conflict and piss off China, which we CANNOT AFFORD right now because they've got u$ by the ball$.

My fellow Gringos, I look forward to the days in which I have to grab as many tuna cans, soda bottles and my wife in the middle of the night and run to the bunker to scape nuclear fallout. 

FUCK YOU OBAMA!

FUCK YOU KIM JONG IL!

FUCK YOU UNITED NATIONS!

GigantorX

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2009, 08:50:03 AM »
Slapper,

What you are saying would make sense if we were dealing with a logical and rational leader in North Korea. We aren't so most of the standard playbook doesn't apply.

And I don't think the stage is being set for an attack. I think there is a lot of fear, speculation and lousy reporting. Fearmongering and sensationalism makes money and grabs ratings.

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2009, 09:44:08 AM »
Kim Jong Jacksass is well aware if there is only one boomer sitting off his coast, NK will be a reduced to dust in 20 minutes. He is posturing to get more "stuff".Bad reporting, fear mongering ...... Kim is not what worries me, the assclown selling this crap to the highest bidder does.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2009, 10:05:28 AM »
North Koreans can do amazing things with colored construction paper.

The images in the background are ten thousand students holding cards, forming human pixels to create the images. May 2007

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2009, 10:32:42 AM »
Slapper,

What you are saying would make sense if we were dealing with a logical and rational leader in North Korea. We aren't so most of the standard playbook doesn't apply.

And I don't think the stage is being set for an attack. I think there is a lot of fear, speculation and lousy reporting. Fearmongering and sensationalism makes money and grabs ratings.

And where exactly is there "a lot of fear"? Furthermore, why is Kim's belicous attitude, namely building nuclear weapons, seen as "irrational" and ours, especially after Bush's 2001 Nuclear Posture Review, is seen as rational by logical default?