Author Topic: Sen. Dodd upset at scrutiny of wifes' sitting on 4 Big Pharma boards.  (Read 362 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
CHRIS DODD'S OTHER PROBLEM
NY Post ^ | June 22, 2009 | NY Post

Posted on Monday, June 22, 2009 5:55:25 AM by Scanian

Sen. Chris Dodd, the dubious Democrat from the Nutmeg State, told a recent interviewer that it was "offensive" that the media would suggest that his wife, Jackie Clegg Dodd, has potential conflicts of interest because she sits on the boards of four pharmaceutical firms.

With Sen. Ted Kennedy ailing, Dodd is the Democratic point man for upcoming health-care legislation.

Of course, this is the 21st century. Spouses of powerful pols have their own -- often quite successful -- careers.

Of course, everybody knows that Mrs. Dodd received no special consideration because of her powerful spouse -- because Sen. Dodd says so.

That's the same Chris Dodd who "just happened" to get sweetheart mortgage loans as a "Friend of [Countrywide Financial founder] Angelo [Mozilo]" -- a relationship that is the subject of a Senate Ethics Committee probe.

That's the same Dodd who "just happened" to buy out a friend's share of an Irish cottage -- for well below what should have been the appraised value.

Only after a public-interest group raised questions did the Dodds finally have the cottage re-appraised -- whereupon the property's value jumped to $660,000, from between $100,001 and $250,000 just last year.

How about that: In the midst of a worldwide recession, his vacation home doubles in value in just one year -- as property values across Ireland plunged 40 percent.

Dodd says "there's no reason" for his wife to step down from her various boards -- an ethics lawyer gave a clean bill of health on potential conflicts of interest. He further complains that raising these questions is "offensive" because the husbands of female members of Congress don't face the same scrutiny. Really?

(Excerpt) Read more at nypost.com ...
________________________ ________________________ ________

I hope Peter Schiff takes on this fool in CT for the Senate seat. 

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
She should resign - if it is indeed four big pharma boards. If it is just some local shit board, or some health charity, then no biggie.

But I assume you're correct here:

If he doesn't understand that she should resign - then he needs to resign.

I think it's that serious.

Someone that high up needs to have that much understanding of the perception it gives.

He may be able to keep shit separated. And may not be influenced at all.

But it's the fact that his credibility gets tarnished that is so bad.

I'm amazed that a seasoned politician doesn't grasp that.
As empty as paradise

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
She should resign - if it is indeed four big pharma boards. If it is just some local shit board, or some health charity, then no biggie.

But I assume you're correct here:

If he doesn't understand that she should resign - then he needs to resign.

I think it's that serious.

Someone that high up needs to have that much understanding of the perception it gives.

He may be able to keep shit separated. And may not be influenced at all.

But it's the fact that his credibility gets tarnished that is so bad.

I'm amazed that a seasoned politician doesn't grasp that.

Hey, he got away with being in bed with Mozillo (Head of Countrywide Mortgage) and got that special mortgage, why should this be any different. 

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
Nothing is going to change until we as American citizens elect people who care more about America than they do about wealth and power.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
Nothing is going to change until we as American citizens elect people who care more about America than they do about wealth and power.

That'll happen after we bring democracy to the rest of the world. Remember your manners.