Author Topic: Cooking wine question for Chef Tim  (Read 598 times)

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
Cooking wine question for Chef Tim
« on: June 22, 2009, 09:21:53 AM »

Previously, you told us not to worry about the carb content in marinates. 

I'm actually starting a real diet today and will be limiting carbs in order to drop the fat.  One of my favorite chicken preparations is to do the chicken in a saucepan with the tomato & basil seasoning from Mrs. Dash.  Then when it's just about ready, I pour in some Marsala cooking wine, raise the temp, then cook it for a couple of minutes.  Yum.

The Marsala is 4g sugar per serving.  I've never measured in the past, but would guess that I use about 2-3 servings per chicken breast. 

So, the question is this:  If I'm committed to the low-carb lifestyle, do I need to give up my Marsala? 

benchthis

• Getbig V
  • operation deep throat
Re: Cooking wine question for Chef Tim
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 03:47:28 PM »
another question

whats the best way to prepare food in advance? in terms of flavoring and making the food taste yummy  8)

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 03:58:12 PM »
another question

whats the best way to prepare food in advance? in terms of flavoring and making the food taste yummy  8)

Use my chicken preparation, then package it and refrigerate right away.  It'll remain good for 7 days, but I normally do my cooking for 3-4 days at a time. 

If you're afraid of adding the Marsala because of the sugar content, just stick to the Mrs. Dash.  The tomato & basil is the best, bar none.  You can sprinkle it own 20-30 minutes before cooking or you can sprinkle it in while you're cooking.  Either way, the flavor is awesome...it's impossible to screw this up.  The Marsala requires a slightly more delicate touch - if you undercook, you don't get the benefit and if you overcook, the flavor isn't perfect. 

benchthis

• Getbig V
  • operation deep throat
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 05:06:26 PM »
Use my chicken preparation, then package it and refrigerate right away.  It'll remain good for 7 days, but I normally do my cooking for 3-4 days at a time. 

If you're afraid of adding the Marsala because of the sugar content, just stick to the Mrs. Dash.  The tomato & basil is the best, bar none.  You can sprinkle it own 20-30 minutes before cooking or you can sprinkle it in while you're cooking.  Either way, the flavor is awesome...it's impossible to screw this up.  The Marsala requires a slightly more delicate touch - if you undercook, you don't get the benefit and if you overcook, the flavor isn't perfect. 

fresh tomatoes? tomato sauce?
how they prepared?

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 05:08:23 PM »

i was wondering about this.  i need to up the dosage on the chicken, but to thaw the chicken cook it, etc. is way too much of a hassle.  you think a plain baked chicken breast's edible for a week in the fridge?
Deep Tissue Massage

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 07:33:54 AM »
Thats up to you. The dish will not taste the same without the Marsala or Sherry. It's a very unique flavor. I have to deal with clients that have special diets all the time. I use fresh veggie and or fruit juices to make sauces. My juicers are some of my favorite kitchen tools. It's worth the money if your serious about your diet.

Thanks for the reply, Tim.  I don't think the small amount of sugar will affect my diet all that much (even though I'll be eating a LOT of this chicken, LOL), but I am concerned that it might possibly 'reactivate' the sweet tooth I just spent 3 weeks shutting down (took my that long to taper off of daily sweets). 

I'd love to check out some of your sauce recipes if you've got any posted there on your site.