Author Topic: Vyvanse  (Read 5159 times)

wolverine0904

• Getbig I
Vyvanse
« on: June 23, 2009, 12:39:43 PM »
Hello guys, this is my first post on Getbig.  :D

I was wondering if anyone here is suffering from ADD or ADHD and if they are taking any medications for it? I have recently been prescribed Vyvanse by my neurologist and I must say it has helped my attention problem a lot. However, it comes with an unfortunate side effect which is major appetite loss. Someday I get by with just a multi-vitamin and a fruit. I get so busy with my work that I often forget to eat meals, and even if the food is placed in front of me I am unable to eat. This has caused me to stop working out (because of lack of energy) and I have lost 30 pounds (most of which I think is pure muscle because I checked my body fat % before I started and after). I am already considering either changing my prescription or at least the dosage that I take. I was wondering if anyone could give some HELPFUL suggestions about how to fix this problem. All helpful posts are highly appreciated and all stupid irrelevant posts will be disregarded.

Thank you all in advance

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Vyvanse
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 01:23:30 PM »
While not always practical/feasible, try to establish a consistent schedule to stick to – one that sets aside time devoted to eating; even if it’s just something light like a can of chicken or tuna.
If you get a “lunch hour” and/or some type of breaks during the day, resist the urge to work through them, and make sure to eat instead.

Try making up an MRP drink that you can take to work in a large shaker bottle and sip throughout the day. MRP’s are a great way to get additional calories without the need to always stop and eat a solid meal.
Making your own is often better because you can doctor it up to your liking based on taste and nutrition.

Also: fats & oils are very important for muscle building and all around health - flaxseed, olive, wheat germ, canola oil's, etc. can all provide you with additional good calories without stuffing yourself with solid foods. A teaspoon of most good oils can contain around 125 calories. Taken 4 times throughout the day, that add's up to 500 extra quality calories.

wolverine0904

• Getbig I
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 01:44:50 PM »
Thanks for the reply. But isn't it bad to get most of the calories in a liquid form? I've heard that we must get most of our daily calories through solid foods. Is one better than the other or are they both the same as long as I am getting the required vitamins?

wolverine0904

• Getbig I
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 01:47:00 PM »
Also what would you suggest I add in the MRPs. I have some protein powders (whey) and a big tub of BCAAs. I also taken a multi-vitamin in the morning (Now Adam). What else do I need?

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 02:25:00 PM »
Yes, solid/“real” foods are best. Supplements – as the name suggests – should be a “supplemental” part of your diet.

It sounds like additional calories is partly what you’re after?
If you don’t have a big appetite, adding shakes and healthy oils can help. But you’re right – don’t rely on them.

If you drink milk, drink whole milk.
If you eat eggs, eat the yolks, too.
Hardboiled eggs are good to take to work. Clean them before leaving the house and you can quickly and easily down a couple when you have a spare minute during the day.

Try preparing foods you know you like, as this may also provide additional incentive to eat.
Natural peanut butter is good.
Add some regular ranch dressing to your chicken. In your state, it won’t hurt.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 03:24:52 PM »
Also what would you suggest I add in the MRPs. I have some protein powders (whey) and a big tub of BCAAs. I also taken a multi-vitamin in the morning (Now Adam). What else do I need?

Sorry,
Didn’t see your other post.

Good things to mix in an MRP:
natural peanut butter
whole milk/heavy cream
bananas
ground oatmeal 
wheat germ

I would save the BCAA’s to take around workouts, especially if you’re using a whey powder. Most of them already contain enough BCAA’s as is.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 04:39:26 PM »
Yes, solid/“real” foods are best. Supplements – as the name suggests – should be a “supplemental” part of your diet.

It sounds like additional calories is partly what you’re after?
If you don’t have a big appetite, adding shakes and healthy oils can help. But you’re right – don’t rely on them.

Sorry,
Didn’t see your other post.

Good things to mix in an MRP:
natural peanut butter
whole milk/heavy cream
bananas
ground oatmeal 
wheat germ

I would save the BCAA’s to take around workouts, especially if you’re using a whey powder. Most of them already contain enough BCAA’s as is.

^ditto^

High amounts of fish oil have been shown to be helpful in ADD/ADHD
:

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 04:45:08 PM »
Thank you, your highness.

Of course, any answer containing peanut butter is a correct one.
 ;)

wolverine0904

• Getbig I
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 03:02:16 PM »
Wow, thank you guys for the advise. I will try to start using these things and I will report back soon to let you guys know how things are going.