Author Topic: New jobless claims rise unexpectedly to 627K! (UE getting worse)  (Read 824 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
New jobless claims rise unexpectedly to 627K
New jobless claims jump unexpectedly to 627,000; continuing claims rise to 6.74 million

By Christopher S. Rugaber, AP Economics Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The number of Americans filing new jobless claims jumped unexpectedly last week, and the total unemployment benefit rolls rose to more than 6.7 million.

The Labor Department data released Thursday show jobs remain scarce even as the economy shows some signs of recovering from the longest recession since World War II.

The department said initial claims for jobless benefits rose last week by 15,000 to a seasonally adjusted 627,000. Economists expected a drop to 600,000, according to Thomson Reuters.

Several states reported more claims than expected from teachers, cafeteria workers and other school employees, a department analyst said.

The number of people continuing to receive unemployment insurance rose by 29,000 to 6.74 million, slightly above analysts' estimates of 6.7 million.

The four-week average of claims, which smooths out fluctuations, was largely unchanged, at 616,750.

Economists expect the number of initial unemployment insurance claims, which reflects the level of layoffs, to slowly decline over the coming months as the economy bottoms out.

Still, claims remain far above levels associated with a healthy economy. A year ago they were 392,000.

Economists say any recovery is likely to be weak, and the unemployment rate, currently at 9.4 percent, is expected to top 10 percent by the end of this year.

Millions of Americans also are receiving jobless benefits through a federal extension enacted by Congress last year. For the week ending June 6, more than 2.4 million people received benefits under the extension, which adds 20 to 33 weeks on top of the 26 weeks typically provided by states.

About 288,000 people also are receiving benefits under state emergency programs, bringing the total jobless benefit rolls to nearly 8.8 million that week. The extended benefits data lags initial claims by two weeks.

Other recent reports indicate the economy could be bottoming. The Commerce Department said Wednesday that orders to factories for durable goods such as computers, machinery and aircraft increased 1.8 percent in May, much better than analysts expected.

But sales of new homes fell 0.6 percent last month, the government said, as the housing sector remains weak. Analysts had expected an increase in sales.

The Federal Reserve said Wednesday that the recession is easing, though the economy will remain weak enough to keep inflation in check. Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke has said the economy will begin to recover by the end of this year.

Companies have cut a net total of 6 million jobs since the downturn began in an effort to reduce costs.

Still, job cuts are slowing. Employers eliminated 345,000 positions in May, about half the monthly average of jobs lost in the first quarter.

Troubles in the automotive sector also may cause unexpected fluctuations in the claims. General Motors Corp. filed for bankruptcy protection June 1, joining Chrysler LLC, which filed April 30.

Companies are still shedding jobs. Monsanto Co., the world's biggest seed maker, said Wednesday that it will lay off about 900 workers, or about 4 percent of its work force, as its third-quarter profit fell 14 percent.

________________________ ________________________ ___

That stimulus bill is doing great huh????

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
Re: New jobless claims rise unexpectedly to 627K! (UE getting worse)
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 07:22:00 AM »
where's 240 to  post his charts of improvement now?

Unexpected.  ::)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 07:30:19 AM »
proxy post for 240: OBAMA SAVED JOBSSSSSSSS

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 07:39:32 AM »
GE is hiring 1200, that evens it out.

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 07:45:41 AM »
The stimulous is working,things are getting better according to 240.

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 07:48:58 AM »
Dows up 50pts.

Recession over.

Obama wins.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 07:50:07 AM »
Yes, i am optimistic.  I think the downward trend is bottoming out.  

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 07:53:07 AM »

According to the experts it's been doing that for a year now.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 07:57:23 AM »

THE EXPERTS SAID THAT WITHOUT THE STIMULUS BILL ue WOULD REACH 8.8%

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 07:58:57 AM »

627,000 JOBS LOST AND YOUR OPTIMISTIC?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 08:07:12 AM »
627,000 JOBS LOST AND YOUR OPTIMISTIC?

8 years of funding one war, and 6 years of funding another.
ten trillion bucks printed in last 4 months.
The world hates us and has pushed out the dolalr recently.
Mucho f what we offer is obsoltete.
We're a consumption society that doesn't export mnfg goods.

Considering all that has happened, and we're still above water, yes, I'm very optimistic.

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 08:26:45 AM »
ten trillion bucks printed in last 4 months.
The world hates us and has pushed out the dolalr recently.
Mucho f what we offer is obsoltete.
We're a consumption society that doesn't export mnfg goods.

Considering all that has happened, and we're still above water, yes, I'm very optimistic.

After cap and trade passes we wont even have companies here to consume anything.This man is purposely trying to wreck the country.I can see no other explanation in the things hes doing.With cap and trade and the health care fiasco,he will finally get his wish.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 08:34:21 AM »
After cap and trade passes we wont even have companies here to consume anything.This man is purposely trying to wreck the country.I can see no other explanation in the things hes doing.With cap and trade and the health care fiasco,he will finally get his wish.

I thought the bailout would ruin the country.

then it was the stim package that was gonna ruin it.

then china/russia were gonna drop dolalr in feb to ruin in.

Now, cap and trade is going to wreck the country?

Dude, I used to think the sky was falling every week as well.  Then I realized that while those in charge are all crooks, they all somehow keep the ship afloat for US citizens.  Remember when UK sent those 15 young sailors into iranian waters with orders to fire (which would have gotten them killed)?  I was convinced a war was immanent, draft to follow, all that good stuff.  never happened. 

Which is why, espite your enthusiam, I don't think cap and trade will "wreck the country".  I also disagree with you saying "we wont even have companies here to consume anything". You're being a tad dramatic there.  it's okay.  Your enthusiasm is admirable, but I think in 2-or 3 years, you'll evolve as well and realize the saem crooks at the top are always going to get theirs - but in order for the next group of crooks to get theirs, they are gonna keep the US ship afloat.  In 4 or 8 years, the left-leaning people here will be screaming about how president Barbour (or whatever republican) is going to destory the country, etc etc.

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 09:11:48 AM »

Gotta love the talking heads on the "news" stations.

Ever since sub-prime become a buzz word things were always contained and it was going to be okay. Then it was the crisis will only last a bit, and then it was the crisis will not turn into a recession, then it was the bailouts will solve the crisis and maybe stave off recession, then it was both stimulus packages that were supposed to save us all and either ward off recession or shorten it.....and now every week its "the bottom" or "recovery soon, INVEST!" and all this B.S. A ploy to get peoples $$$ into the market to prop things up and create an illusion.

And now here we are.

Why do people keep listening to these people?

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2009, 06:59:17 PM »

The fact is that United States citizens will turn against a war effort that goes on for more than five years.  This has been known for a very long time.