Author Topic: Prince's 'Purple Rain': 25th anniversary today  (Read 2746 times)

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
Prince's 'Purple Rain': 25th anniversary today
« on: June 25, 2009, 10:39:06 AM »
Twenty-five years ago this month, a classic album touched down on Earth in Minneapolis. Perhaps the most classic of new classics, even. I'm talking, of course, about Prince's untouchably awesome Purple Rain. Spin magazine is celebrating this momentous anniversary by putting together a tribute set titled Purplish Rain (ha), featuring track-by-track covers of the entire original album by hip folks like the Twilight Singers, Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings, Of Montreal, Fol Chen, and more. Spin readers will be able to download the whole thing for free on June 23; in the meantime, the mag is currently streaming a cover of "When Doves Cry" by Greg Dulli's band the Twilight Singers online. That cover happens to feature additional vocals by actual Purple Rain co-star Apollonia, which is pretty much too cool for words. Head over to Spin's site to hear how "When Doves Cry" turned out and read the rest of the tracklist -- then let us know how you think Purplish Rain measures up to your favorite Prince covers.
!

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
Re: Prince's 'Purple Rain': 25th anniversary today
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 10:46:00 AM »
CLASSIC!  ;D

Purple Rain - PASSWORD
Morris Day and Jerome... Lol Whats the password? Ok!
!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 04:21:14 PM »
What time is IT!   :)

windsor88

• Getbig IV
  • Victim of the Drug War
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 04:39:23 PM »
I liked when Prince fucked appolonia and then pimp slapped her to the floor.

Man I saw him on Leno and that dude does not age. Great musician.  Can't believe people actually think MJ is better than Prince.

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 05:47:39 AM »
Prince is the fucking man. A brilliant musician and performer.

He's everything that pedo-boi Jackson wishes he could have been.

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 07:54:13 AM »
Prince is the fucking man. A brilliant musician and performer.

He's everything that pedo-boi Jackson wishes he could have been.

Am I back on the schoolyard in 1984? Stop with MJ vs. Prince stuff.  >:(

MJ was an amazing talent. Arguably the greatest pop music performer of all time. Prince is ridiculously talented. Arguably the greatest pop musician of all time. No need to pit them against each other. Admire them both.

I think if Michael just focused on music like Prince does, he'd still be with us. MJ let his eccentricities get worse and worse and got away from what he does best...making music and performing. He should have been in the studio making music and putting it out there, good or bad. Don't worry about duplicating Thriller, because you never will duplicate that success.

Prince keeps his life private and keeps making music, which I believe keeps him sane and happy. The guy has put out an album just about every year for the last thirty years. I also think Prince seems to manage his money well, living within his means. Whereas Michael spent money like crazy, and having all that debt can make you depressed.  Prince is an eccentric guy, but he's never gotten too crazy. He actually seems pretty normal when you see him in interviews these days.

No less a great musician than Miles Davis said in his autobiography that Prince and Duke Ellington were the greatest musician/songwriters of the 20th century. 
!

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 09:54:02 AM »
Am I back on the schoolyard in 1984? Stop with MJ vs. Prince stuff.  >:(

MJ was an amazing talent. Arguably the greatest pop music performer of all time. Prince is ridiculously talented. Arguably the greatest pop musician of all time. No need to pit them against each other. Admire them both.

I think if Michael just focused on music like Prince does, he'd still be with us. MJ let his eccentricities get worse and worse and got away from what he does best...making music and performing. He should have been in the studio making music and putting it out there, good or bad. Don't worry about duplicating Thriller, because you never will duplicate that success.

Prince keeps his life private and keeps making music, which I believe keeps him sane and happy. The guy has put out an album just about every year for the last thirty years. I also think Prince seems to manage his money well, living within his means. Whereas Michael spent money like crazy, and having all that debt can make you depressed.  Prince is an eccentric guy, but he's never gotten too crazy. He actually seems pretty normal when you see him in interviews these days.

No less a great musician than Miles Davis said in his autobiography that Prince and Duke Ellington were the greatest musician/songwriters of the 20th century. 

Fuck off, Benny. My answer was a response to the post above mine.

And as arguably talented as MJ was he forever ruined his legacy with his sick behavior towards children.

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 10:11:38 AM »
Fuck off, Benny. My answer was a response to the post above mine.

And as arguably talented as MJ was he forever ruined his legacy with his sick behavior towards children.

Seeing how I created this thread, I am not going anywhere.  ;) I don't give a shit if your post was to Buddha, I responded and if it bothers you, you can suck on it.

Millions all over the world disagree with you regarding MJ's legacy. And you know nothing regarding Michael's behavior towards children. Nothing at all but the ruminations of your imagination.
!

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 02:04:37 PM »
Seeing how I created this thread, I am not going anywhere.  ;) I don't give a shit if your post was to Buddha, I responded and if it bothers you, you can suck on it.

Millions all over the world disagree with you regarding MJ's legacy. And you know nothing regarding Michael's behavior towards children. Nothing at all but the ruminations of your imagination.

Whatever, pedo defender.

If you don't care for what I have to post then skip to one you agree with. Otherwise, I'll post where I want and what I want.

"They searched Michael Jackson's bedroom and found life-size dolls of little boys, one of them dressed in a Cub Scout suit. Innocent enough, but if they searched my room and found a life-size doll of a woman, everyone would assume I was fuckin' it. And they'd be right! " -Ron White

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 10:41:20 AM »
After interviewing Prince, Tavis is asked if he is ever starstruck?"

TAVIS SMILEY interview with PRINCE Part One
Tavis Smiley interviews Prince on his latest CD release; Lotusflow3r. Prince talks about the 3 CD set, his father, being teased in school, and how to achieve EXCELLENCE within yourself; and much more. Last part of the interview will feature new artist; Bria Valente, who's CD is the first of the 3 CDs on Lotusflow3r.

TAVIS SMILEY interview with PRINCE Part Two

!

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 10:48:03 AM »
TAVIS SMILEY interview with PRINCE Part Three

TAVIS SMILEY interview with PRINCE Conclusion
!