Author Topic: Despite rough road to victory, Affliction exec Tom Atencio eyes potential return  (Read 632 times)

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
In the weeks leading to up to his Saturday night bout with Randy Hedderick at "Ultimate Chaos" in Biloxi, Miss., Affliction vice president Tom Atencio had said his second professional MMA contest would also be his last.

After being visibly rocked and dropped to the canvas early in the bout, Atencio probably wished he had stopped with just one.

But after battling back to earn a TKO win at the close of the second round, Atencio told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) that he hasn't ruled out another trip to the cage.

"Honestly, I don't know," Atencio said. "My (business) partners want me to fight again now that I have the opportunity and I'm in shape. I'm not really sure.

"I've got to go to Germany for a clothing trade show. When I get back, I'll start training again. If my body's up to it, I might [fight again]."

The 42-year-old Atencio last fought in 2005, earning a decision win in his professional debut. Not many fighters have their second bout broadcast on pay-per-view, but Atencio said he appreciated the opportunity.

"I appreciate being on pay-per-view, and I appreciate everybody that deals with me," Atencio said. "It's only my second fight, and for some reason, I've been fortunate enough to build a name in the industry and I'm ahead of these guys.

"I know realistically I shouldn't be there, but it was a crazy fight."

Atencio evened the score by winning the second frame, but the Affliction executive admits the first was a bit of a blur.

"All I remember was being on my back and looking at up him and kicking him away and scrambling to get back up again," Atencio said.

Despite the obvious trouble he found himself facing in the first five minutes, Atencio said quitting never crossed his mind.

"There's one thing about me that people that are close to me know: There's no way I'm going to quit," Atencio said. "It's just not an option for me. Short of killing me, it's just not something that's going to happen for me. Maybe it's pride, maybe it's what my dad taught me, but I can't quit. I don't know how to."

While he doesn't yet know what his in-cage future holds, should Atencio elect to try and extend his unbeaten record, he said he will do it 100 percent.

"I've been doing this a long time, and I really do love it – and I take this serious," Atencio said. "I don't take it lightly at all."