Author Topic: Do you own what makes you, you? Or, does the government?  (Read 778 times)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Do you own what makes you, you? Or, does the government?
« on: July 01, 2009, 11:45:02 PM »
This shit...  I was suspicious when they were taking samples of my newborn's blood for a fairly rare disease.  My first thought was, I bet they're creating a DNA database, the fuckers.  So I decided to research it out of curiosity and yup........ >:(  I found one site that said almost all states are doing it.

Important news was issued yesterday on the legislative battle over the State collection of genetic material on newborn babies to use for government-endorsed genetic research without parents’ consent. Last night, the Minnesota Senate Judiciary Committee voted against consent rights (ownership) of infant blood and DNA, reported Twila Brase, RN, President of the Citizens' Council on Health Care. That means DNA material on children can be stored and used by the government or third parties without the consent of parents. The bill (SF 3138) now goes to the Senate for a full vote.

This is a complicated issue of medical ethics and privacy, public health over individual rights, the integrity and advancement of science, genetic discrimination, and the potential abuses of genetic information by the state. As reported last year, the CCHC had discovered that for ten years, the Minnesota Department of Health had been illegally collecting DNA material on at least 780,000 babies which it was storing indefinitely, and has already given away the material on more than 41,000 babies for genetic research, all without the knowledge or consent of parents. Since then, the CCHC has been working for informed consent and arguing that the state cannot take or use genetic material without parents’ consent. The CCHC has cautioned that the state’s genetic database will soon be linked electronically to its medical database, with a permanent impact on patient records and genetic profiling that could be used against people by insurers or employers. Few parents are even told of their rights or given the option to opt-out of testing or allow testing, but require the blood sample to then be destroyed and not retained by the state.

No one is arguing against saving the lives of babies or preventing the devastating effects of genetic and metabolic conditions. These can be the benefits of screening programs that accurately identify conditions which have effective treatments. [For an overview of newborn screening tests, some of the metabolic and other conditions included, and the value for babies and parents, the March of Dimes offers a parent guide here.]

But we almost never hear the downsides, the past history of failures of screening programs, the problems and reliability. With advances in technology making new forms of genetic screening possible, despite limited understanding of the risks or accuracies; the ability to detect growing numbers of conditions for which there may be no effective or necessary treatment; the ability to pick up abnormalities that we may have no understanding of what they mean or that might never cause a medical problem; the growing commercial interests in using genetic technology and the potential for abuse; it is imperative for us to think about this. Now.

National agencies and interest groups under the National Task Force on Newborn Screening have recommended a mandatory federal government-run uniform newborn screening program that is integrated with the health care delivery system and under public health agency oversight. (It would be administered through the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Health Care Financing Administration (HCFA), Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ), National Institutes of Health (NIH), and other agencies.) They argued against parental informed consent, in the interests of public health. Their other recommendations included the development of public health databases integrated with the newborn screening system and genetic data collection. Along with the push for nationalized electronic medical records and the government’s proven inability to not allow the healthcare system to be overtaken by commercial interests, this deserves our attention before we’ve tumbled down the proverbial slippery slope.

According to the Task Force, 49 states require newborn screening, but only 3 states have provisions for informed consent. Maryland has a voluntary newborn screening program, Wyoming uses an informed consent model and Massachusetts recently began using an informed consent process in a pilot program. Most states, it found, permit parental refusal, but only under limited circumstances. However, parents are rarely told that refusal is even an option, and mandatory offering of screening is often confused with mandatory screening.

cont... http://junkfoodscience.blogspot.com/2008/03/do-you-own-what-makes-you-you-or-does.html

grab an umbrella

• Getbig IV
Re: Do you own what makes you, you? Or, does the government?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 02:13:52 AM »
Honestly reading stuff like that truly angers me, but I cannot in the least say that it suprises me.  The government thinks it can get away with anything it wants. 

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 02:38:39 AM »
I think that Western governments are the best, in terms of freedom. But... I find it sad that for some reason I find myself wanting a revolution to take place and for the governments to start fearing their populaces once again.

There were times during the UK expenses scandal I thought the British government was honestly scared of the citizens; but now I see to truly put them in their place they will require issues far beyond what has gone before. I think the big brother shit like this will be the catalyst - and I hope they push this shit fast and intensely so people wake up.
الاسلام هو شيطانية

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 02:42:40 AM »
Honestly reading stuff like that truly angers me, but I cannot in the least say that it suprises me.  The government thinks it can get away with anything it wants. 
yup, exactly what I was thinking.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 08:17:08 AM »
I'm actually going to attempt to get those blood tests back.  Should be interesting, wish me luck ;D

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 08:30:54 AM »
I'm actually going to attempt to get those blood tests back.  Should be interesting, wish me luck ;D

Get mine too, while your at it.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 08:49:28 AM »

Sometimes I think u go to far Hugo but in this case I agree. This is an extreme example but how about when u go and buy something and the idiots want all kinds of info. Its near impossible for me, given what I do, not to have a big cyber footprint. The rest of u guys should do whatever u can to protect whatever info u can. Barry's gonna make ur medical records, recorded online...good luck.
L

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 08:51:48 AM »
Get mine too, while your at it.
they have your DNA?  This PKU testing for newborns hasn't been going on that long has it?

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 08:55:18 AM »
Sometimes I think u go to far Hugo but in this case I agree. This is an extreme example but how about when u go and buy something and the idiots want all kinds of info. Its near impossible for me, given what I do, not to have a big cyber footprint. The rest of u guys should do whatever u can to protect whatever info u can. Barry's gonna make ur medical records, recorded online...good luck.
I agree with some of the stuff you post too.  In this case, I think this is beyond political affiliations and all that.  There are just way to many negative ramifications possible to be ok with this kind of crap and since none of us know the future, it's in all of our best interest to oppose things like this now.

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 10:39:57 AM »
they have your DNA?  This PKU testing for newborns hasn't been going on that long has it?

No, my kid. They did that with us too. Said it was for 'testing'...

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 03:29:16 PM »
No, my kid. They did that with us too. Said it was for 'testing'...
we should get that shit back.  I'll call them and tell them they have two choices and only one ends good :D

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2009, 03:34:41 PM »
we should get that shit back.  I'll call them and tell them they have two choices and only one ends good :D

:D

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2009, 04:13:15 PM »
I agree with some of the stuff you post too.  In this case, I think this is beyond political affiliations and all that.  There are just way to many negative ramifications possible to be ok with this kind of crap and since none of us know the future, it's in all of our best interest to oppose things like this now.

I agree.....my point was this was an extreme case. We get tracked everyday by much more mundane means. I hope u get it back.
L

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2009, 04:50:17 PM »

I would tend to speculate that trying to get that shit back would be like trying to get back the tasteful nudes you posted on the web of your ex-gf. You can get it deleted from wherever first had it, but no telling where it went from there.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2009, 04:55:10 PM »

Good call.

When my sis had her second kid she refused all kinds of things from the hospital for her child. I'd be lying if I said I remember all the details but I know that she was concerned about the very things you guys are talking about. I was surprised when she told me she wanted her kid to be out of "the system" as much as possible cause she never talked that way before. Interesting stuff though.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2009, 05:26:59 PM »
This shit...  I was suspicious when they were taking samples of my newborn's blood for a fairly rare disease.  My first thought was, I bet they're creating a DNA database, the fuckers.  So I decided to research it out of curiosity and yup........ >:(  I found one site that said almost all states are doing it.

Congrats on the new baby.
w

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2009, 12:00:30 AM »
thanks!

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2009, 12:09:25 AM »
:

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2009, 04:58:49 AM »
This is totally NWO/ Brave New World stuff and not acceptable.