Author Topic: Edge injured?  (Read 1964 times)

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
Edge injured?
« on: July 04, 2009, 06:57:27 AM »
Source: prowrestling.com

Top WWE SD Star Injured Last Night; Possible Plans

- We received a report last night from a fan in attendance at the SmackDown/ECW live event in San Diego saying Edge was injured during his match with Jeff Hardy. The fan says Edge was running towards Jeff when it appeared he twisted or broke his ankle and that his foot was in a very awkward position. The match was stopped, EMT's came running to Edge and he was helped to the back but not before he told the fans "sorry" on the mic.

Furthermore, Dave Meltzer says the injury may be a torn Achilles tendon and that they had only been actually wrestling for about a minute. This would be a serious injury for one-half of the WWE Unified Tag Team Champions that would likely require surgery and put him out of action for a while.

Meltzer also reports that WWE are most likely going to try and figure out a way to get the belts on Cody Rhodes and Ted DiBiase and if you haven't read RAW spoilers for next week, we will find out more about that on Monday. Word is that WWE is looking at footage of the Edge vs. The Great Khali match taped on Wednesday night for next Friday's SmackDown to see if there's a spot in the match where they can claim a storyline injury happened.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Edge injured?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 08:30:03 AM »
Lout Thesz supposedly wrestled a one-hour Broadway with a broken ankle.

Of course, Lou wasn’t doing moonsaults and diving off of ladders.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 01:08:39 PM »
Lout Thesz supposedly wrestled a one-hour Broadway with a broken ankle.

Of course, Lou wasn’t doing moonsaults and diving off of ladders.

I thought it was nice of him (although out of character) to say sorry to the fans.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 06:49:50 PM »
Some more info (source prowrestling.com):

With definitive word starting to break regarding Edge's Achilles tendon tear, focus has turned to how WWE will address the injury. Television is already taped for next week (and was scripted on the basis that Edge and Chris Jericho were the Unified Tag Champions), so it is unclear if WWE will make any official announcement of Edge's injury and the status of the belts until those shows air.

Edge will most likely undergo surgery and be out of action until early 2010.

CM Punk has been inching closer and closer to the official heel turn on television, but the degree of ambiguity in his television act was missing from last night's house show. Punk played a full-fledged heel, assisting Chris Jericho in an attack on Rey Mysterio.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 06:55:11 PM »
wow, thats a long time to be out. The only good thing is that it might freshen up his character. Punk was a great heel in ROH, so that is good.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 08:44:43 AM »
Do any of Vince's guys get paid while out injured?

I know Turner started doing that even with "mid" carders.
Didn't know if the Fed ever caught on.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 05:01:49 PM »
wow, thats a long time to be out. The only good thing is that it might freshen up his character. Punk was a great heel in ROH, so that is good.

I hope they do something when he comes back as well.  A face turn is about due I think.  And I think Punk is awesome, regardless of who he plays.

I'm not sure if they get paid, but I know that their contracts automatically get extended to take into account the time off.  For example, Batista's contract is up next year, but they will add 3 months onto that because of his current injury.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 04:15:01 AM »
Here's more on Edge's torn Achillies Tendon...

As noted earlier, the official diagnosis for Edge's ankle injury is indeed a torn Achilles tendon and could potentially keep him out of the ring until January 2010 depending on the severity.

We were the first website to report on Friday night that Edge suffered the injury at last night's WWE Smackdown/ECW event in San Diego, CA around five minutes into a match with Jeff Hardy. WWE officials and EMTs rushed to his aid at ringside and Edge later apologized on the mic to the fans in attendance. The match itself really never got going as Edge and Hardy were taunting at each other in front of the crowd when the injury took place. Live reports from the show indicate that Edge may have planted his foot wrong as he came down causing the injury.

gmflex

• Getbig V
  • The Empire lives...you rebel scum!!!
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 07:46:39 AM »

yes:
most wrestler's have what they call Downside guarntees

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 03:32:59 AM »

yes:
most wrestler's have what they call Downside guarntees

Does everyone enjoy that, or is it a privilage reserved for the elite guys who could afford it anyway?

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 04:33:10 AM »
Top stars that are out...

Undertaker - hip replacement
Shawn Michaels - bad knees
Matt Hardy - torn abdominal muscle
Edge - torn achillies tendon
Batista - torn biceps muscle

You can bet your ass the brands will suffer. They need these stars back asap. As for the downside guarantee's, all these guys negotiate it into their contracts. Most these guys especially the top stars have agents / lawyers that look after their best interests. 

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 09:26:41 AM »
Top stars that are out...

Undertaker - hip replacement
Shawn Michaels - bad knees
Matt Hardy - torn abdominal muscle
Edge - torn achillies tendon
Batista - torn biceps muscle

You can bet your ass the brands will suffer. They need these stars back asap. As for the downside guarantee's, all these guys negotiate it into their contracts. Most these guys especially the top stars have agents / lawyers that look after their best interests. 

I thought Mcmahon didn't allow his wrestlers to have agents?

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 09:51:22 AM »

Prior to about 1987 that was true.
Jesse Ventura was the first pro wrestler to have agent representation.

Barry Bloom helped Jesse get some roles on the TV show Hunter, Running Man, and Predator, among others.
Supposedly, Jesse one day confronted the old man and said that Barry represents him in his movie and TV roles, so why shouldn’t he represent him in WWF?

Vince more or less told Jesse that there are no agents in wrestling.
Jesse (calling the bluff) told Vince, “If I don’t have Barry, then you don’t have me.”

Anyway, Barry went on to represent Ventura. Piper was soon next, and since then many of the bigger guys have gotten agents. Barry has represented many of them.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 10:59:26 AM »

They all do.