Author Topic: FLEX mag "Bobservation" on IFBB pro contest excitement  (Read 4354 times)

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
FLEX mag "Bobservation" on IFBB pro contest excitement
« on: July 07, 2009, 08:33:03 AM »
I read a recent "Bobservation" by Bob Chic in a recent Flex on adding excitement to pro BB meets. He seems to feel that part of the reason for the rapid growth of fans in MMA was due to the excitement of the event for fans. He then goes go on to use some examples of how a pro wrassler like Hulk Hogen got fans going when he did his famous "hand to the ear" asking for cheers pose.

Bob is correct that the MMA has become a very exciting event for fans. However, I strongly disagree with Bob , that pro bodybuilders need to act more like WWE wrasslers. MMA and other pro sports (like hockey) do a great job with the overall production. State of the art sound systems and light shows, make the place rock for the fans. Please note, that the actual MMA fighters , still go at it , serious and hardcore. The MMA pros do NOT act like pro wrasslers while fighting in the ring or cage. The same thing applies to NHL hockey as well.

Pro BB contests do need max sound and light production to maximize the fan fun. What they don't need is pro BB's on stage acting like some jackass. Pose hard and serious and let the MC and stage production add the hype.

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • facebook.com/michael.arvilla
Re: FLEX mag "Bobservation" on IFBB pro contest excitement
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 08:42:38 AM »

lax

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 12:11:30 PM »

Howie, you know McMahon from WWF tried this = Failure

Schmoe Buster

• Getbig V
  • Unnatural Bodybuilder
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 12:14:13 PM »
Bobservation ::)
Thunderdome approved

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 06:00:30 PM »
MMA has grown because it is a sport ;D

A

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 06:02:47 PM »
MMA has grown because it is a sport ;D

So is boxing, which has stedily declined as fast as MMA has grown

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 06:04:31 PM »
So is boxing, which has stedily declined as fast as MMA has grown
they are competing sports.  ::)
whats bbing competing game?
A

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 06:09:03 PM »

There are all kinds of different sports...hope this helps

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 06:16:13 PM »

Nothing can make BB an exciting event for the masses, the masses dont care.  Im into BB and can barely stand to watch the shows Yawn!!  Being in them more fun but watching?  Boring!  TBH I did not even care to see the Olympia or Arnold and did not even view the pics.  Seen one big ass pro BB you have seen em all, local shows even worse.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 06:17:52 PM »
Very true, thought Bob would have learned from that debacle.  Nothing can make BB an exciting event for the masses, the masses dont care.  Im into BB and can barely stand to watch the shows Yawn!!  Being in them more fun but watching?  Boring!  TBH I did not even care to see the Olympia or Arnold and did not even view the pics.  Seen one big ass pro BB you have seen em all, local shows even worse.

Obviously, you didnt read the article....

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 06:24:17 PM »
Obviously, you didnt read the article....

No I did not just what Howie wrote maybe he was off?  I will check it out.  Sorry if I got the facts or jist wrong.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 06:28:23 PM »
Howie missed the point of the article entirely...I've never suggested that pro BBers act like wrestlers. 

What the idea suggests, is that we use some of the same techniques to infuse some much needed energy and excitement into the mostly boring competition...

Mr. Magoo

• Getbig V
  • THE most mistaken identity on getbig
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2009, 06:33:38 PM »

sumo wrestling  :D

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2009, 06:38:50 PM »
Howie missed the point of the article entirely...I've never suggested that pro BBers act like wrestlers. 

What the idea suggests, is that we use some of the same techniques to infuse some much needed energy and excitement into the mostly boring competition...

My bad then Chick, I should have read your article first.  Yeah I just dont know what can be done....maybe if the BBs also had to kick some ass to win more people might find that fun to watch LOL.

You know I kind of like BB as niche sport even a bit "underground" keeps it true to its roots.  It being a bit "different" is what I like about it.  But then it's just a hobby/passion of mine.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2009, 05:29:56 AM »
I have talked to a number of people, and each has varying opinions. Some say bodybuilding is a niche sport that cannot be modified.  Others says there is always way to make it more exciting.

People forget that a few years ago MMA was declining in popularity before they made some changes. And while MMA is exploding right now (UFC 100 is this weekend with an expo), boxing is declining.

I agree that the first two rounds should be the serious, no bull straight up physique, comparison and muscularity rounds that judge the athlete.  BUT then in the evening, the lights should go on, and pro competitors should be able or should want to pose with good music and a good routine.  Props should be allowed back in (Toney Freeman with his axe, etc), but done tastefully.

MMA has storylines, they promote the heck out of the two fighters competing against each other with such a frenzied hype. Dozens of interviews before, training techniques, and more.

churbro

• Getbig II
  • Don't fear death...fear a life unlived
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2009, 06:19:51 AM »
Pro bodybuilding seems to be stagnant at the moment. What progress or new innovations have been introduced in the past decade or so? Are the administrators of the pro league even interested in change or are they content to raise the prize money a bit each year and call that a meaningful step forward?
I realise that the very nature bodybuilding means that there is only so much that can be done, but a good start would be to,

1. Come out with a clear rule regarding the size of posing trunks. Nobody wants to see a thong stuck up the butt of a mass-monster and I really, really hope that the pros themselves don't like wearing them. All it would take is for the pro league (I don't know how it is run so I'm not sure who makes the decisions) to make it clear that the butt is not judged and all competitors should wear trunks that cover the glutes. Failing that, make it like beach volleyball where there are clearly defined rules (for women only I know, but the idea is the same) regarding the size of briefs allowed, and enfore the rule consistently so there is no ambiguity.

2. Pro bodybuilding without drugs will never happen, but surely something can be done about the gh guts that are so common nowadays? Don't the powers-that-be realise how bad the physiques look today and how much pro bodybuilding has regressed from the 80's? They should immediately make it clear that big guts will be marked down on the score sheets and if it continues then make the vacuum pose mandatory.

It just seems as though the very people who have the power and means to effect positive change are the same ones who are content to let bodybuilding spiral even further downward.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
A

io856

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2009, 07:23:38 AM »
I don't find the big two shows boring... ???

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2009, 07:28:58 PM »
I don't find the big two shows boring... ???

That's cause you're a schmoe....

Hope that helps....
HAHA, RON.....

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2009, 07:39:11 PM »
When Arnold retired so did competitive BB , hope this helps

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2009, 07:41:35 PM »
great bobservatons this time bob-i agree w u- and i look forward to reading every single future bobservations till the day i die
w

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2009, 09:54:20 PM »

Bob, with all due respect you did use the example of Hulk Hogan putting his hand to his ear to gain applause.

No biggy, the OVERALL idea is a good one. Perhaps, I am splitting hairs here.
My idea is to :
1. Make the sound, light and overall production a big deal.
2. Have the actual pro bodybuilders come in great shape and pose hard, period.
I see no reason for the actual pros to act like some jack ass however

TechnoViking

• Getbig V
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die...----HST
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2009, 10:15:35 PM »
Now that Kamali has Plazmosis, he may just be the spark that ignites probodybuilding...

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2009, 10:16:51 PM »
Now that Kamali has Plazmosis, he may just be the spark that ignites probodybuilding...

LOL, is KING comming back on the pro circuit?

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2009, 11:11:06 PM »

He'd be as successful as the concept of vertically perforated toilet rolls.