Author Topic: Sarah Palin is "a lot smarter than liberals and the media think"  (Read 858 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Jul 8, 2009, 12:01 a.m. EST

Sarah Palin is smarter than the media think

Commentary: The news junkies can't get enough of herView all Jon Friedman's Media Web ›

By Jon Friedman, MarketWatch

NEW YORK (MarketWatch) --

Sarah Palin is the most fascinating politician of her time. Sure, Barack Obama is the most accomplished and respected but news junkies can't get enough of Palin, love or hate her.

She is a lightning rod. The left loves to mock her as a buffoon. In the New York Times, Maureen Dowd dubbed Palin as "Caribou Barbie."

Palin has to expect coverage like that in the Times /quotes/comstock/13*!nyt/quotes/nls/nyt (NYT 4.81, -0.16, -3.13%) , the darling of the Eastern establishment elite. She has mastered the art of using the media to divide and conquer and is using it to solidify her hold on her political base.

Go ahead. Call her stupid and unsophisticated and goofy and sleazy. But understand that Palin also has more street smarts when it comes to keeping her name in the news than anyone today on the national scene. She has mastered the media by acting like the star of her own reality television series.

On Tuesday morning, Time Warner Inc.'s /quotes/comstock/13*!twx/quotes/nls/twx (TWX 23.53, +0.08, +0.34%) CNN aired an interview with Palin as a reporter caught up to her while she was on a fishing trip with her family. She was as feisty and defiant as ever. "I'm not going to take the comfortable path," she said.

Palin bristled when the reporter implied that America now might view her as a quitter. She is resigning her post to go off and, presumably, make millions of dollars to run for the 2012 presidency.

"I'm certainly not a quitter," she stressed. "I'm not going to close any door."

Bumping M.J.

Who else but Palin could have hoped to bump Michael Jackson off the front page of the newspapers and the lead spots on the evening-news programs?

Palin did just that last Friday when she shattered the calm of a long holiday weekend by announcing her plans to resign as governor of Alaska. It was instant pandemonium.

Some pundits promptly blasted her for her timing. But they were missing the point, a common occurrence when the subject is Palin. She is so famous that she can set the agenda. It doesn't matter when she made her big announcement. She effectively created a news flow.

The bottom line is that Palin intuitively understands the media better than they understand her. She recognizes what journalists need to do their jobs well -- a constant stream of sound bites and headlines. And she delivers.

Keeps on giving

Palin gives journalists and commentators exactly what they crave: news. She has no peer when it comes to attracting publicity. For media people like me, Palin is the gift that keeps on giving.

Admit it. You can't get enough of her and her many controversies. You have been obsessed with her since John McCain shook up the Republican Party by naming her to be his vice presidential running mate nearly a year ago.

We are riveted by the antics of her "Dukes of Hazzard"-like family, her alleged improprieties as governor and her wacky, rambling speeches that lead nowhere yet somehow contain ample sound bites. There's also the lampooning of her by Tina Fey on "Saturday Night Live" and the debate surrounding her credentials as a feminist.

Some believed that Palin, a devoted mother and career woman, represented the ultimate in feminism. Others, horrified by her unsophisticated ways and penchant for looking perky in photo ops, branded her as a traitor to the women's cause.

The more the left rips her, the more sympathetic Palin can seem to the people who admire her. Paul Begala wrote in Huffington Post: "It was an almost impossible mission, but in resigning from office with 17 months to go in her first term, Sarah Palin has made herself the bull goose loony of the GOP."

Sarah Milhous Nixon

I've thought that Palin has had a Richard Nixon-like quality when it comes to the media. The two, both dedicated westerners who distrusted the New York-Washington axis, have always had a symbiotic relationship with the media.

As much as they both despised reporters, they needed the coverage. And reporters, who love newsmakers, needed them.

I asked Joe McGinniss, author of the groundbreaking Nixon book, "The Selling of the President" to ruminate on Nixon and Palin. He also wrote a cover story for Portfolio magazine on Palin earlier this year.

McGinniss told me by phone: "She is thin-skinned and can't forget or forgive," which puts her in the company of Nixon, who once infamously drafted an "Enemies List" while he was president. "She has decided that the media are her enemy now."

He continued: "Everything Nixon did was calculated and cynical. But you don't know what side of the bed Palin will get up on tomorrow morning. She is always going to surprise people."

That's why America can't get enough of her.

Jon Friedman is a senior columnist for MarketWatch in New York.

________________________ ________________________ _______________

Ha ha.  You liberals are going to die if this woman ever gets ahead. 

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
Re: Sarah Palin is "a lot smarter than liberals and the media think"
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 11:11:04 AM »
If you agree with this article then you directly with this statement.

"Sure, Barack Obama is the most accomplished and respected "

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 11:16:51 AM »
If you agree with this article then you directly with this statement.

"Sure, Barack Obama is the most accomplished and respected "

That was the perception of him, yes, but as his policies prove to be failures, which they are, BTW, his Harvard law degree wont matter squat. 

BTW - I agree that Obama is more book smart than Palin.  However, i think his book smarts did not and does not translate into real world smarts and common sense. 

Cap & Trade alone is enough for me to determine the Obama is a complete fool.     

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 11:42:00 AM »
Palin isn't stupid but she sure isn't smart.  Keeping your name in the tabloids isn't an accomplishment.  Britney Spears does it on a daily basis and she's hardly presidential material. 

Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 11:43:48 AM »
Palin isn't stupid but she sure isn't smart.  Keeping your name in the tabloids isn't an accomplishment.  Britney Spears does it on a daily basis and she's hardly presidential material. 

Palin has liberals falling all over themselves. 

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 11:45:00 AM »

Being presidential material makes no differance.We have Bush,Carter,Obama to use as examples of people who werent presidential material but became president.

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 11:46:01 AM »

Um no she doesn't.  She has liberal minded people mocking her and laughing at her, but not falling over themselves.  Heck she has people in her own party who think she is a joke.  Palin is all about looks and projection of image.  She is a beauty queen through and through, not a politician.  
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 11:46:58 AM »
Being presidential material makes no differance.We have Bush,Carter,Obama to use as examples of people who werent presidential material but became president.

After Obama is through wrecking everything, people will vote for daffy duck for president.  A Harvard law degree does not translate into sound thinking on economics or other matters.  

Like I said, Obama has not even tried a DWI case in court.  

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 11:49:47 AM »
Um no she doesn't.  She has liberal minded people mocking her and laughing at her, but not falling over themselves.  Heck she has people in her own party who think she is a joke.  Palin is all about looks and projection of image.  She is a beauty queen through and through, not a politician.  

Hysterical, the Obamanation is crashing and burning daily and people are going to look to the opposite of a "politician" since it is obvious that politicians are clueless about real world issues. 

On issue after issue, Obama never fails to get it wrong.  Whether irt be cap and trade, iran, honduras, card check, health care taxes, deficits, gun control, etc, he is a complete flop. 

His stimulus was a lie and if the very first thing he did proved to be a miserable failure, like it is, why should we trust him on anything else? 

The moron has never even tried a speeding ticket in court!   

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 01:28:09 PM »
Jul 8, 2009, 12:01 a.m. EST

Go ahead. Call her stupid and unsophisticated and goofy and sleazy. But understand that Palin also has more street smarts when it comes to keeping her name in the news than anyone today on the national scene. She has mastered the media by acting like the star of her own reality television series.

One could make the exact same statement about Paris Hilton but it doesn't qualify her to be a leader of anything.   

And yes I will call Palin stupid, unsophisticated, goofy and sleazy and I'll add pathological liar and perhaps even a sociopath

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 01:29:24 PM »
One could make the exact same statement about Paris Hilton but it doesn't qualify her to be a leader of anything.   

And yes I will call Palin stupid, unsophsticated, goofy and sleazly and I'll add pathological liar and perhaps even a sociopath

And I could say the same thing about the current POTUS
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 01:29:28 PM »

And yes I will call Palin stupid, unsophsticated, goofy and sleazly and I'll add pathological liar and perhaps even a sociopath

I knew I would get a rise out of you with this.  

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 01:32:59 PM »
I guess having Palin as prez would be like having Bush, only slightly worse...
I hate the State.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 01:40:15 PM »
I knew I would get a rise out of you with this.  

really?

I really couldn't give less of a shit.  Just pointing out the glaring flaw in the logic

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2009, 07:04:48 AM »

Side splitting laughter will do that to you.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2009, 02:06:45 PM »
Spencer Pratt and Heidi Montag from the Hills are quite adept at keeping their name in the news and fame whoring. Does that mean they're smart?  ???

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2009, 02:59:15 PM »
Spencer Pratt and Heidi Montag from the Hills are quite adept at keeping their name in the news and fame whoring. Does that mean they're smart?  ???

It does if you're a d-bag who thinks Palin is smart. 
Abandon every hope...

the_steevo_uk

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2009, 06:04:06 PM »
I swear to god, if she wasnt hot no one would give a shit about her