Author Topic: Kids Kicked Out of Pool Due to Race  (Read 309 times)

TenishaToday

• Getbig I
Kids Kicked Out of Pool Due to Race
« on: July 09, 2009, 09:27:06 AM »
http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Pool-Boots-Kids-Who-Might-Change-the-Complexion.html

Distributive Equality

NBC News reported on July 8, 2009 that 60 campers from The Creative Steps Day Camp, a camp in Northwest Philadelphia, were told to leave the Valley Swim Club, a private club, after paying the required $1900 dollars in membership because of their race (Lattanzio, 2009). John Duesler, the club President, was quoted as saying “there was a concern that a lot of kids would change the complexion … and the atmosphere of the club” (as cited in Lattanzio, 2009).

"I heard this lady, she was like, 'Uh, what are all these black kids doing here?' She's like, 'I'm scared they might do something to my child,’” said camper Dymire Baylor (as cited in Lattanzio, 2009).

"When the minority children got in the pool all of the Caucasian children immediately exited the pool," Horace Gibson, parent of a day camp child, wrote in an email. "The pool attendants came and told the black children that they did not allow minorities in the club and needed the children to leave immediately." (Lattanzio, 2009)

The next day Aetha Wright, the Creative Steps Day Camp director, was informed by Valley Swim Club that the camp’s membership had been canceled and the camp’s money would be refunded.

This is not an isolated incident. All over the United States, there is a multitude of private clubs, organizations, and institutions that exclude women and minority groups from their memberships. According to these organizations, because they are not public entities, funded with taxpayer money, they have the right to exclude access to certain groups and individuals (Araiza, 2009). Even if I was to accept that argument, it is still disheartening that in the year of 2009, in the year in which we have finally elected a diverse President with African descent, that such blatant racism and discrimination would be displayed – to children! What exactly did this incident teach our kids? The white children have now learned to fear and to shy away from their darker skinned brothers and sisters. The minority children have now learned that, for some reason, they are disliked, hated, and should be isolated from their lighter skinned brothers and sisters. I am truly disgusted and appalled by this organization.

I have no problem with private clubs, organizations, and institutions. If private entity wishes to be discriminate than that is the organization's right as a private, non taxpayer funded institution. I do have a serious problem with false advertisement. If a club, organization, or institution believes so strongly in their policy of exclusion, then let them broadcast that policy to the masses to ensure that embarrassing situations like the one above does not take place. Let them be open and honest in their blatant discrimination, in their hate, in their ignorance, and let the free market determine if they stay in business. These institutions should be forced to state in their advertising or in their membership documentation their position of exclusion so that innocent minority groups and innocent women do not have to be subjected to this embarrassing and spirit crushing practice of hate!

As scholar-practitioners, as agents of social change, I call on all of us to contact this organization, not to tell them that they should accept members of all groups, although I believe they should, but to inform them that in this year of 2009, we will not tolerate such blatant hate leveled at our children! The Valley Swim Club’s phone number is (215) 947-0700 (Araiza, 2009). The Valley Swim Club e-mail is info@thevalleyclub.com (Araiza, 2009). As stated above, the President of the club is John Duesler.

References

Araiza, K. (2009, July 8). Pool boots kids who might “change the complex”. NBC News. Retrieved July 9, 2009 from http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Pool-Boots-Kids-Who-Might-Change-the-Complexion.html

Lattanzio, V. (2009, July 8). Campers “complexion” no problem for new pool. NBC News. Retrieved July 9, 2009 from http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Campers-Complexion-No-Problem-for-New-Pool.html
Love yourself!