Author Topic: Former Monsanto VP May Be Named To Head FDA Safety Working Group  (Read 1356 times)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Sometimes I'm just rendered speechless, and this is one of those times. Natasha Chart via Sustainable Food at Change.org:

Obama's considering appointing a former Monsanto vice president, Mike Taylor, to head the Food Safety Working Group at the FDA.

As Jill Richardson writes at LaVidaLocavore at the link above, Taylor thinks the FDA wastes too much time on food safety inspections at meat packing plants. Further, he believes that one of their main problems is that they have to slow down their line speed too much.

Everyone who's read anything about the horrendous working conditions at US meatpacking plants knows that incomplete kills before slaughter and worker injuries increase dramatically when line speeds increase.

As also noted at the Ethicurean, Taylor is the reason milk from rBGH/rBST cows doesn't have to be labeled. Bovine growth hormone is perfectly safe, after all. Except for cows, or humans who drink its breakdown products in milk.

So yes, Mike Taylor is the person we have to thank for putting pus from mastitis-infected cows into the milk supply, and exposing milk-drinking Americans by the millions to greater cancer risks.

This guy is heading up a food safety working group.

I'm just swimming in the changeiness.

Kids, if you care about your food, you know what to do:

Comments: 202-456-1111
Switchboard: 202-456-1414

http://crooksandliars.com/susie-madrak/fox-guard-henhouse-former-monsanto-vp

Hereford

• Getbig V
Re: Former Monsanto VP May Be Named To Head FDA Safety Working Group
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 10:45:01 AM »
Monsanto company is awesome.

Hugo, I will argue the rBST thing with you all day. This is bullshit all the way. You don't know what you are talking about. Pus in the milk? Where? You can't label what milk has been using BST because you CAN'T TEST FOR IT. It's a natural hormone.

I am a dairyman. Lets hear it. Tell me how there is pus in the milk. Tell me how milk causes cancer. C'mon....

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 10:48:45 AM »
Monsanto company is awesome.

Hugo, I will argue the rBST thing with you all day. This is bullshit all the way. You don't know what you are talking about. Pus in the milk? Where? You can't label what milk has been using BST because you CAN'T TEST FOR IT. It's a natural hormone.

I am a dairyman. Lets hear it. Tell me how there is pus in the milk. Tell me how milk causes cancer. C'mon....

I thought it was a fact that the hormones in milk increased cancer risk?  ???
S

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 10:53:42 AM »
rBGH is the abbreviation for recombinant bovine growth hormone, also referred to as "rBST" or "BST," a genetically-engineered growth hormone called "bovine somatotropin." rBGH was developed and marketed by the large agribusiness company Monsanto under the brand name "Posilac," and is reported to increase milk production by 10 to 15 percent.[1] rBGH was the first major biotechnology food product approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), in 1993. In August 2008, Monsanto sold POSILAC to Eli Lilly.

Neither Canada nor Europe have approved rBGH, however, due to the health problems it can cause in cows.[2][3] Even the United Nations' Codex Alimentarius Commission refused, in 1999, to declare the drug safe.[4] Nevertheless, Monsanto has been able to sue U.S. milk producers who wish to label their milk as rBGH-free.

Health Canada's decision in 1999 to ban the drug was particularly instructive; Monsanto tried to pressure the regulatory body into approving rBGH and some of the scientists involved were suspended (but later found not guilty of a "breach of loyalty") for publicly exposing the pressure campaign.[5] (Incidentally, in 2004, the same scientists, Shiv Chopra, Margaret Haydon and Gerard Lambert, were fired, in a move their union described as retribution for their whistle-blowing.)[6][7]

In another incident, Fox TV journalists Jane Akre and Steve Wilson lost their jobs because they had tried to broadcast a critical report about Monsanto's rBGH.[8] A jury awarded them damages because they had been pressured to broadcast "a false, distorted or slanted story" and fired for threatening to blow the whistle but an appeals court agreed with Fox that it is technically not against any law, rule or regulation to deliberately distort the news on television.

rBGH has been linked to mad cow disease, since rBGH injections make cows need higher protein diets. One of the cheapest protein sources is slaughterhouse waste, including rendered "downer" cows and other animals at higher risk for disease. As summarized in the book Mad Cow USA:

One activist characterized rBGH as "crack for cows." It forced cows to produce more milk at the price of increased stress on their overall health, exacerbating illnesses such as mastitis, and mining the calcium from their bones. In order to achieve the higher levels of milk production, moreover, cows needed to consume more energy-dense food, adding to the pressure for farmers to use protein adn fat supplements derived from rendered animals - the feeding practice which had created the BSE epidemic in the first place.
In early 2004, Monsanto announced that it was reducing rBGH sales by half. Farmers and others asked, "What's gone wrong with Monsanto's rBGH?"[9] The New York Times reported: "A Monsanto spokeswoman, Janice Armstrong, said the cutback came after a Food and Drug Administration inspection in November [2003] of the factory at which the product was made. The F.D.A. found that more batches of hormone than expected were failing the factory's quality control tests, she said. Although those batches were not sold, Ms. Armstrong said, the factory ... must make changes to correct the problems, cutting into output."[10]

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=RBGH

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 10:54:42 AM »
New Study Warns of Breast and Colon Cancer Risks from rBGH Milk

Washington, DC — The Cancer Prevention Coalition and Food & Water, released a new study today which concludes that milk from cows injected with recombinant Bovine Growth Hormone (rBGH) increases risks of breast and colon cancers in humans

http://www.preventcancer.com/press/conference/jan23_96.htm

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 10:57:14 AM »
rBGH is the abbreviation for recombinant bovine growth hormone, also referred to as "rBST" or "BST," a genetically-engineered growth hormone called "bovine somatotropin." rBGH was developed and marketed by the large agribusiness company Monsanto under the brand name "Posilac," and is reported to increase milk production by 10 to 15 percent.[1] rBGH was the first major biotechnology food product approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), in 1993. In August 2008, Monsanto sold POSILAC to Eli Lilly.

Neither Canada nor Europe have approved rBGH, however, due to the health problems it can cause in cows.[2][3] Even the United Nations' Codex Alimentarius Commission refused, in 1999, to declare the drug safe.[4] Nevertheless, Monsanto has been able to sue U.S. milk producers who wish to label their milk as rBGH-free.

Health Canada's decision in 1999 to ban the drug was particularly instructive; Monsanto tried to pressure the regulatory body into approving rBGH and some of the scientists involved were suspended (but later found not guilty of a "breach of loyalty") for publicly exposing the pressure campaign.[5] (Incidentally, in 2004, the same scientists, Shiv Chopra, Margaret Haydon and Gerard Lambert, were fired, in a move their union described as retribution for their whistle-blowing.)[6][7]

In another incident, Fox TV journalists Jane Akre and Steve Wilson lost their jobs because they had tried to broadcast a critical report about Monsanto's rBGH.[8] A jury awarded them damages because they had been pressured to broadcast "a false, distorted or slanted story" and fired for threatening to blow the whistle but an appeals court agreed with Fox that it is technically not against any law, rule or regulation to deliberately distort the news on television.

rBGH has been linked to mad cow disease, since rBGH injections make cows need higher protein diets. One of the cheapest protein sources is slaughterhouse waste, including rendered "downer" cows and other animals at higher risk for disease. As summarized in the book Mad Cow USA:

One activist characterized rBGH as "crack for cows." It forced cows to produce more milk at the price of increased stress on their overall health, exacerbating illnesses such as mastitis, and mining the calcium from their bones. In order to achieve the higher levels of milk production, moreover, cows needed to consume more energy-dense food, adding to the pressure for farmers to use protein adn fat supplements derived from rendered animals - the feeding practice which had created the BSE epidemic in the first place.
In early 2004, Monsanto announced that it was reducing rBGH sales by half. Farmers and others asked, "What's gone wrong with Monsanto's rBGH?"[9] The New York Times reported: "A Monsanto spokeswoman, Janice Armstrong, said the cutback came after a Food and Drug Administration inspection in November [2003] of the factory at which the product was made. The F.D.A. found that more batches of hormone than expected were failing the factory's quality control tests, she said. Although those batches were not sold, Ms. Armstrong said, the factory ... must make changes to correct the problems, cutting into output."[10]

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=RBGH

For people such as myself who dont know squat about this issue, please explain in laymans' terms what is going on here. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 10:57:38 AM »
“BST-induced mastitis is harder to treat than naturally occurring mastitis and duration of treatment is longer due to higher incidence of infection with S. aureus... There is a one third higher incidence of antibiotic resistant bacteria. BST use increases the amounts of drugs in general to treat the various adverse effects it causes in cattle.”

– “rBST (NUTRILAC) ‘Gaps Analysis’ Report.” Report of the rBST Internal Review Team, Health Protection Branch, Health Canada.. April 21, 1998.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 10:59:31 AM »
“BST-induced mastitis is harder to treat than naturally occurring mastitis and duration of treatment is longer due to higher incidence of infection with S. aureus... There is a one third higher incidence of antibiotic resistant bacteria. BST use increases the amounts of drugs in general to treat the various adverse effects it causes in cattle.”

– “rBST (NUTRILAC) ‘Gaps Analysis’ Report.” Report of the rBST Internal Review Team, Health Protection Branch, Health Canada.. April 21, 1998.

Hugo:  Is this a good thing or bad thing that this guy is being appointed?

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 10:59:47 AM »
For people such as myself who dont know squat about this issue, please explain in laymans' terms what is going on here. 
Well, the real issue here is who is being considered to head this working group.  You know the good ol revolving door.  That's self explanitory.  it was wrong under Bush, it's wrong under Obama.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 11:02:54 AM »
333, it's like putting an Exxon VP in charge of a working group on pollution at the EPA. 

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 11:03:36 AM »
The evidence on GMO food being "hazardous to your health" is shaky at best. I'm ok with it.

Although they should label it so all you douchebags that are worried about it can pay extra for the "safe" stuff.  ::)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 11:05:49 AM »
The evidence on GMO food being "hazardous to your health" is shaky at best. I'm ok with it.

Although they should label it so all you douchebags that are worried about it can pay extra for the "safe" stuff.  ::)
That would be better than nothing.  Let the free market decide. Hard to argue with that.  I could go along with that idea, but companies like Monsanto have lobbied and sued the crap out of anybody attempting anything of the sort.

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 11:07:52 AM »
That would be better than nothing.  Let the free market decide. Hard to argue with that.  I could go along with that idea, but companies like Monsanto have lobbied and sued the crap out of anybody attempting anything of the sort.

I took a class called "science of food" that spent a decent amount of time talking about GMO foods. Was interesting stuff. We had a debate on whether the foods should at least be labeled and most people seemed to agree that they should. But yeah, the typical lobbyist approach makes that harder than it should be.  :-\

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 12:38:34 PM »
Labeling sucks.

Its either safe or not.

Food labeling is a way to ban food from certain countries and producers.

A WTO issue for sure.
Z

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2009, 12:40:55 PM »
Labeling sucks.

Its either safe or not.

A WTO issue for sure.

That's already been done. COOL was passed last year (I believe). Country of origin labeling. Just went into effect in March. I don't think it's a bad thing. Countries like China have shown (multiple times at that) that they have absolutely no regard for food safety.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2009, 12:52:33 PM »
Labeling sucks.

Its either safe or not.

A WTO issue for sure.
I don't care what happens in other countries on this.  I care about what happens here.  They've actually had more success in Canada and the EU on banning some of these things and labeling had nothing to do with it.  You know at a minimum, a company should be able to market their product as being free of something like rBGH or whatever but they get their asses sued as companies like Monsanto say the mere act of such a label is a false accusation.

MAINE DAIRY SUED BY MONSANTO, CLAIMS IT DISPARAGES rBGH
http://www.keepmainefree.org/monsanto.html

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2009, 01:06:18 PM »
That's already been done. COOL was passed last year (I believe). Country of origin labeling. Just went into effect in March. I don't think it's a bad thing. Countries like China have shown (multiple times at that) that they have absolutely no regard for food safety.
I have no doubt about China's lax standards.
Allowing them to repackage food is stupid.
But the government makes the rules.

As for COOL and the WTO
http://w01.international.gc.ca/MinPub/Publication.aspx?lang=eng&publication_id=386637&docnum=232

What actions have been taken by the Government of Canada?

* The Government of Canada submitted comments on COOL to the U.S. Department of Agriculture rule-making process on a number of occasions, including in 2003, 2005, 2007 and 2008; these were developed in collaboration with provinces and industry. The most recent comments were submitted on September 5, 2008, and requested that flexibility be applied in implementing the Final Rule so as to minimize any disruptions for Canadian industry.
    * In October 2008, the Government of Canada created a government-industry working group to monitor and assess the economic impact of COOL on the Canadian livestock and meat industries.
    * On December 1, 2008, International Trade Minister Stockwell Day joined Agriculture and Agri-Food Minister Gerry Ritz in announcing that Canada would request consultations regarding COOL under the World Trade Organization dispute settlement process.

Hugo,
We are much more on the precautionary take on GMO.
We are seeing a lot of problems with volunteering crops and who owns them.
Also problems with rotating crops.

I have no problems with the food safety.
I do have a problem with ownership and management.
For example if Monsanto owns Round-up ready canola.
Yet if it volunteers in a field the farmer by law has to eradicate it at his expense.
Z

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2009, 01:13:13 PM »
stop claim monsanto is decent. it is asymbol for the leeching on africa. they bribe some corrupt hut man with a few hundred million dollars. then all of a sudden monsanto gets the rights for all crops or shit like that. despite africa being perhaps the richest continent in the world based natural resources. its fucking robbery.
As empty as paradise

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2009, 01:18:35 PM »
stop claim monsanto is decent. it is asymbol for the leeching on africa. they bribe some corrupt hut man with a few hundred million dollars. then all of a sudden monsanto gets the rights for all crops or shit like that. despite africa being perhaps the richest continent in the world based natural resources. its fucking robbery.
Personally I think they're one of the most evil companies to ever exist.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2009, 01:20:16 PM »
Personally I think they're one of the most evil companies to ever exist.

I thought Haliburtorn and KBR too that designation?   ;D ;D ;D

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2009, 01:23:56 PM »

Why would you blame Monsanto and not the Hut man.

Weird.

Africa has many problems almost all due to poor ethics and a lack of leadership, companies that exploit this are not the problem though.
The person with the standing army, raping women is.

Why is Monsanto evil. I blame a complete lack of interest by the general population. This Apathy is evil.
Not the corporation.
Z

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2009, 01:25:24 PM »

Total Bullshit. See... this is one of the problems with using Wiki...

Show me the correlation between Staph Aureus and mastitis. Do you know what mastitis is?

This is like saying steroids cause you to get the flu.

BTW, Monsanto does not own or produce BST anymore, Elanco does.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2009, 01:36:06 PM »
Total Bullshit. See... this is one of the problems with using Wiki...

Show me the correlation between Staph Aureus and mastitis. Do you know what mastitis is?

This is like saying steroids cause you to get the flu.
why are you so mad at me, over this?  Yes I know what mastitis is.  Did I quote wiki?  What's wrong with wiki?

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2009, 01:44:49 PM »
Hugo, because I deal with the whole industry hatred every day. BST does nothing except hormanally induce cows to give more milk. It is a specific hormone, you could inject it straight into your system and nothing would happen. You wouldn't die of cancer in three days, grow an extra pecker or anything else along those lines.

I have used rBST as a management tool. Good stuff. Makes you get about 6-8% more milk for about 6 bucks a pop.

On a related note, if you ever get the chance, go tour the main Monsanto factory back in KC. Pretty cool.

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2009, 01:54:24 PM »

It's business. Like they're the only company doing it.  ::)

Why don't you check out what China's been doing to Africa the last few years.