Author Topic: Jackie Chan, Will Smith's son kick off 'Karate Kid' remake in Beijing  (Read 2983 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
>who is anyone of us to say Jaden didn't earn that role on his own merit?

I'll say it.  I do not believe for a minute that Jaden would have landed that role in open audition/competition.  For one thing, as a black child actor his casting is inconsistent with the narrative we are given.  There are virtually no black characters in this film.  His "mother" is white and his "father" is absent.  There is no obvious reason why Helen Benson's "son" would be African American.

Granting someone special access in the industry via a family relationship is still a form of nepotism.  No 5 or 7 year old kid lands an acting gig because he has "knowledge of the business." 

Enrique Iglesias is a better example of someone who made his own way.  Due, in part, to tension between him and his father, Enrique "did not want his famous surname to help advance his career."  In fact, when he was starting he didn't want his father to know anything about his nascent recording career.  With borrowed money, Enrique "recorded a demo tape which consisted of one Spanish song and two English songs. Approaching his father's former publicist Fernan Martinez, the two shopped the demo tape under the stage name 'Enrique Martinez' with the backstory of being an unknown from Guatemala. Iglesias was signed by a then small indie record label called Fonovisa. Dropping out of college he went to Toronto, Ontario for six months to record his first album."  That's the story anyway.

Here we go again.  Jaden Smith (son of Will Smith and Jada Pinkett-Smith) has "landed" another starring role in an upcoming film.  Why do we tell people to work hard and pull themselves by their own bootstraps when we acknowledge, accept, and even celebrate people who did nothing of the sort? ???

Jackie Chan, Will Smith's son kick off 'Karate Kid' remake in Beijing
by MIN LEE

BEIJING (AP) — Jackie Chan will play the wise kung-fu master in a Hollywood-Chinese remake of the 1984 hit "The Karate Kid" that kicked off filming in the Chinese capital at the weekend, a movie company publicist said Monday.

Chan's young disciple in "Kung Fu Kid" will be played by Jaden Smith, the son of Hollywood superstars Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith, China Film Group spokesman Weng Li told The Associated Press in a phone interview.

In "The Karate Kid," Pat Morita plays the iconic building handyman Mr. Miyagi who trains one of his young tenants, portrayed by Ralph Macchio, into an accomplished fighter.

The co-production between the state-run China Film Group and Columbia Pictures started shooting Saturday in Beijing, Weng said.

"Kung Fu Kid" is being directed by Harald Zwart, who also directed "One Night at McCool's" and "The Pink Panther 2," Solon So, the chief executive of Chan's company, JC Group, told the AP.

Chan and Smith, along with Smith's parents and sister Willow, attended a traditional Chinese ceremony to mark the start of the shoot Saturday. Photos on China Film Group's movie news Web site show the Smith family and Chan holding incense sticks.

Will Smith — one of the film's producers — Chan, Zwart and others symbolically removed a piece of red cloth covering a movie camera, after which Smith gave Chan a hug, according to video posted on Chinese news Web site Sina.com. His hair done in a huge Afro and wearing a bright red track jacket and blue pants, Jaden Smith stood and waved when he was introduced. His father ruffled his hair when he sat down.

Chan said on his Web site he also attended the younger Smith's 11th birthday party last Wednesday, where he and Will Smith posed for pictures with young performers wearing red and yellow costumes with dragon patterns.

Ken Stovitz, one of Will Smith's partners in the production company Overbrook Entertainment, said at the ceremony Saturday that "Kung Fu Kid" will be set in modern-day Beijing. China Film Group chairman Han Sanping said shooting will last three months.

Chan juggles careers in Hollywood and Chinese-language film. The veteran 55-year-old Hong Kong action star will be seen in the upcoming the Hollywood action comedy "The Spy Next Door," about an undercover Chinese spy whose cover is blown, and the Chinese production, "Big Soldier," about the friendship between two soldiers set in China's ancient Qin dynasty.

Jaden Smith costarred with his father in the 2006 movie "The Pursuit of Happyness" and appeared in the 2008 Keanu Reeves sci-fi movie "The Day the Earth Stood Still."

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
I hate this kid  :P

TechnoViking

• Getbig V
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die...----HST
The kids dad sold his soul to the NWO many years ago not unlike many other rich black Hollywood types..."They" brain washed Will Smith at a young age and its obvious that they have total control over everything he does...The guy is truly a robot...

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Here we go again.  Jaden Smith (son of Will Smith and Jada Pinkett-Smith) has "landed" another starring role in an upcoming film.  Why do we tell people to work hard and pull themselves by their own bootstraps when we acknowledge, accept, and even celebrate people who did nothing of the sort? ???

When you invest $20 Mill to make a movie, ...you have the right to call the shots and cast whomever you choose,
...even your own son. Will Smith is the producer of "Karate Kid" and is taking an active role in guiding his son's career. That's what a good parent does, ...especially in Hollywood. Despite this, it takes nothing away from Jaden's abilities or talents. He proved himself in 'The Pursuit of Happyness' thanks I'm sure in large part to his co-star whose intimate knowledge of him helped to guide his performance. I have no doubt Will & Jada's guidance on 'Karate Kid' will help him take it to the next level there too.

C'mon Bay, ...what do you have against the little guy? I don't hear you criticizing Rupert Murdoch for bringing his sons into his media business. I didn't hear you disparaging Donald Trump for employing Ivanka, why so harsh when it comes to Jaden Smith?
w

BayGBM

• Getbig V
When you invest $20 Mill to make a movie, ...you have the right to call the shots and cast whomever you choose,
...even your own son. Will Smith is the producer of "Karate Kid" and is taking an active role in guiding his son's career. That's what a good parent does, ...especially in Hollywood. Despite this, it takes nothing away from Jaden's abilities or talents. He proved himself in 'The Pursuit of Happyness' thanks I'm sure in large part to his co-star whose intimate knowledge of him helped to guide his performance. I have no doubt Will & Jada's guidance on 'Karate Kid' will help him take it to the next level there too.

C'mon Bay, ...what do you have against the little guy? I don't hear you criticizing Rupert Murdoch for bringing his sons into his media business. I didn't hear you disparaging Donald Trump for employing Ivanka, why so harsh when it comes to Jaden Smith?

Then you haven’t been paying attention.  I specifically criticized the inside track Donald Trump's son has enjoyed in the real estate business in this thread. http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=254094.msg3925213#msg3925213

I have nothing against Jaden, but again I pose the question: why do we tell people to work hard and pull themselves by their own bootstraps when we acknowledge, accept, and even celebrate people who did nothing of the sort?  Sure, a producer has the right to put anyone in a movie that he wants.  He is also subject to criticism when people see blatant nepotism at work.  Michael Jackson and Stevie Wonder are examples of kids who broke into the business by virtue of their own talent and hard work.  No one will ever say that about Jaden.

By the way, it is perfectly possible for a child to follow in the footsteps of mommy and daddy and do so legitimately* but Jaden is not an example of that.  :(

* Actreess, Kim Fields did it legitimately.  Her mom, Chip, was an actress, but not a star by any means. Chip had zero clout in the industry and wasn't in a position to open any doors for Kim or demand that her daughter be given A list roles.

24KT

• Getbig V
Then you haven’t been paying attention.  I specifically criticized the inside track Donald Trump's son has enjoyed in the real estate business in this thread. http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=254094.msg3925213#msg3925213

Donald Trump's son isn't Ivanka, now is he?  :P   ;)

I have nothing against Jaden, but again I pose the question: why do we tell people to work hard and pull themselves by their own bootstraps when we acknowledge, accept, and even celebrate people who did nothing of the sort?  Sure, a producer has the right to put anyone in a movie that he wants.  He is also subject to criticism when people see blatant nepotism at work.  Michael Jackson and Stevie Wonder are examples of kids who broke into the business by virtue of their own talent and hard work.  No one will ever say that about Jaden.

You have the answer to your question right there in the yellow highlight.

We tell people to work hard and pull themselves by their own bootstraps because it does produce results.
OK, so you don't have the connections... yet, ...work hard, develop your skills, ...and once you've got that,
...those connections may come. In any event, it's better to have talent and no connections than it is to have connections and no talent, because when it comes down to it, you need to be able to deliver the goods.

As for your prediction about Jaden. I disagree. He's what... 8, 9 yrs old?
I think it may be a bit pre-mature to predict his legacy at this point. {giggle}

He may go the route of so many child stars... hit puberty, and end their careers,
...or they might go on to bigger & better things. ie: Drew Barrymore. Many thought she was finished at 12,
...she has since gone on to revive her career, and has become a very successful producer in her own right.
No one can dare say she is simply riding on the coat tails of the Barrymore name. She's a success in her own right.

By the way, it is perfectly possible for a child to follow in the footsteps of mommy and daddy and do so legitimately* but Jaden is not an example of that.  :(

* Actreess, Kim Fields did it legitimately.  Her mom, Chip, was an actress, but not a star by any means. Chip had zero clout in the industry and wasn't in a position to open any doors for Kim or demand that her daughter be given A list roles.

However, Mrs. Fields had knowledge of the industry in order to steer & guide her daughter's path.
If I'm not mistaken, Kim's mom was an agent, and as such had advanced knowledge of what was going on, and the relationship with the casting directors to ensure her daughter was at least seen.

The bottom line is we all come into this world with advantages & disadvantages.
We all have our challenges, which may not be the same for each person, ...but they are all there.
It's not the cards that we're dealt, ...but rather how we choose to play them.

btw - There's no such thing as an A-List role.
w

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Jag:

You are about the only one in this world who thinks that Jaden is building a film career on his own merits.  That should tell you something... but it doesn't.  :'(

24KT

• Getbig V
Jag:

You are about the only one in this world who thinks that Jaden is building a film career on his own merits.  That should tell you something... but it doesn't.  :'(

No one builds a film career based on their own merits. It always has and always will be a collaborative team effort.
Sometimes the assistance is minimal and transient, ...other times it's more concentrated & steady,
...but no one does it alone. Does he have help? Of course he does? Is he completely unworthy or undeserving? No.
I just think the level of criticism lobbed at the little guy is extreme and unwarranted. there are adults in Hollywood who have gotten far more assistance and far more kicks at the can, producing far lesser results than Jaden, before they were set in their careers. I just think it's too much ado about nothing.
w

Pete Nice

• Getbig IV
  • Can't wait until the new DaddyWaddy's come out
Re: Jackie Chan, Will Smith's son kick off 'Karate Kid' remake in Beijing
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 03:43:44 PM »
not this kid again... :-\
Air Falcon

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
Re: Jackie Chan, Will Smith's son kick off 'Karate Kid' remake in Beijing
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2009, 05:25:58 PM »
If Will Smith wants his son in a movies his paying for then so be it.
Stallone had his son in Rocky 5 and Daylight and he could not act at all.